Letters to the Editor

Medical marijuana

October 12, 2007

To the editor:

It is amazing to me that medical marijuana continues to encounter resistance among our elected officials. The vast majority of voters support the use of marijuana to reduce pain and suffering. It is clear they understand the decision of appropriate treatment should be left to the patient and their doctor - not the government. I encourage all citizens to contact their legislators and ask them to support protection for these patients. Perhaps there is someone in Topeka listening through all the paranoia.

Patrick Wilbur,

Lawrence

Comments

Richard Heckler 7 years, 2 months ago

But legalizing maijuana could open up many doors for local farmers to begin growing industrial hemp for a huge variety of products. Yes from flooring,clothing to a source for alternative fuel(combined with switch grass).

Ragingbear 7 years, 2 months ago

It's not just marijuana they are doing that to. It was discovered about 8 years ago that certain aspects of Ketamine and Ecstasy were unique in how it affected the brain. From new medications to combat mental illness to new pain medications that would have few side effects and be more difficult to build resistances to, and get addicted to. Yet the government stepped in and basically said "This stuff is illegal. So we don't want anything done that may seem to tell anyone that it has any possible use whatsoever.". Despite the fact that private sector agencies have already developed treatments using cannibinoid components that work far better than many other drugs on the market, they are still refusing to even review the findings. And why? Simple. Alcohol lobbyist. They know that if you ever legalize marijuana that they will find a bunch of their customers switching to marijuana. That would take the power from them and place it in the hands of such companies as Frito-Lay and the like.

classclown 7 years, 2 months ago

"The vast majority of voters support the use of marijuana to reduce pain and suffering. "

==========================================

No surprise in this town as the vast majority of them smoke pot for pure pleasure.

Although I do believe that pot does have medicinal qualities.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 2 months ago

Yes Roger Pine has the perfect set up in North Lawrence for an industrial hemp farm that could generate some real cash. Nobody smokes industrial hemp because it is known to be quite harsh and yuck just like the stuff that grows wild along kansas country roads. Bring back that rope making crop.

introversion 7 years, 2 months ago

Why is this letter to the editor posted under "Crime?"

marcdeveraux 7 years, 2 months ago

Here in california , you can grow in your yard. Anywhere between 6 and 25 plants. We have dispenseries and home delivery. Pizza with your smoke anyone?If your plants are stolen your home owners insurance will pay for your loss. Wake up kanas.

cowboy 7 years, 2 months ago

Big Pharma is the reason , they would lose too much dough , they own congress and the president.

tolawdjk 7 years, 2 months ago

For some reason, -not- being like California seems like a good thing to me.

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

ummm, northtown, what works for some absolutely does not work for others; morphine makes me terribly terribly sick, even sicker than what i've had to take it for. so, i say, yeah to marijuana.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 2 months ago

Uh....yeah....I got cataracts.....officer.

Curtiss 7 years, 2 months ago

It would be nice if it were so simple one could blame prohibition on alcohol lobbyists. But there are a lot of people who feel they have a personal stake in maintaining unrealistic drug laws with draconian punishment. For one thing, the "war on drugs" lobby. They've spent almost FORTY BILLION dollars this year alone (with no measurable result for thirty years of this activity). They don't intend to walk away from that cash cow. The big pharma companies don't want any kind of medical substance to achieve popularity if you don't buy it from them. The religious right thinks it has a right to decide what everybody does. The U.S. has more prisoners per capita than any other civilized nation, and has the second highest total number of prisoners of all nations. And since those prisons are being outsourced, we're creating another powerful lobby bent on locking people up.

The fact is, hemp is the most useful, valuable plant on the planet. Its seeds are possibly the single best source of nutrition for humans, better even than soybeans. (Just before it was stopped by drug laws, in the 1920s, the last year the US imported hemp seeds legally, we imported over 100 million tons in one year. Now THAT is a useful product.) Its oils are some of the best available, and before the petroleum lobby was running the country, the best aviation lubricants, painters solvents, etc., were all made from hemp. Anything you can make with cotton you can make with hemp (Dutch name: Canvas), and it'll be better. And you can grow two crops per year in almost every US state, with little fertilizer and virtually no pesticides.

Curtiss 7 years, 2 months ago

(Had to split in two. Continued...)

The reason this valuable product was abandoned was a perfect storm of political and economic forces. Around 1920, a cotton-gin-like machine was patented, which would separate out the fibers in hemp without all the gruesome handwork. Suddenly hemp became cheaper and a better choice for many products. Henry Ford made a car out of it, and planned to make it the future of Ford Motors. But about then, DuPont began to hit the market with Rayon, Nylon, and other products made from oil. Since any plastic you can make from oil can be made from hemp (usually better and cheaper), DuPont suddenly had an interest in killing it. William Randolph Hearst, having recently acquired a patent for making newsprint paper out of wood, had an interest in killing it too; you can make paper cheaper and with fewer toxins with hemp. Not only that, but with white folks in bread lines, Hearst led the American people in a war on illegal Mexicans, and the best way to fight them was to make "marihuana" illegal so they could be arrested and harrassed at will. Hearst ordered his reporters in major cities all across America to fill the front pages with stories of Marihuana horror. He even decided it would be called "marihuana," after having his reporters scour the earth to find the name that would be scariest to white Americans. Once he settled on "marihuana," his newspapers were ordered to use that term. It was Hearst who invented the concept that pot made people hyper and homicidal. When American soldiers started using it in foreign lands, he re-purposed the herb, creating a whole new "drug" which now caused people to be lazy and ineffective, and caused black jazz musicians to rape white women. With his network of newspapers, like the current right wing media echo chamber, he could create national opinion in a matter of weeks.

So really, there are two separate issues here. One is the medicinal compounds in cannabis, which have been the number one or two medicines used in almost every known culture in the world of the past several thousand years, including the U.S., until we declared it illegal and bullied the world into signing on. These are compounds which have shown centuries of success in treating many common ailments. The other is the most industrially useful plant there is. (And a third issue is medical testing of the cannabis compounds, which is basically prohibited because it always comes up with the wrong answers.) These things have all been stopped, drawn to a total halt. And why? Mostly because of a bunch of fake moralists doing the bidding of powerful multinational corporations.

RedwoodCoast 7 years, 2 months ago

As I've said before, I lived and worked in the gardening industry in Humboldt County, CA, for a year and a half. Marcdeveraux should have said "wake up America". While living there, several things became very clear to me. One is that many people are able to function in daily life much better when they have "medicine". Strange but true. Furthermore, the plant has become much like wine or cigars, in that an equally complex connoisseur culture has developed surrounding the it. Involved is everything from the variety or "strain", to what was used to grow it.

What's more, they are having HUGE problems out in that part of the world with Mexican drug cartels setting up massive grows on public parklands and private timberlands. Sure, law enforcement can knock out some of those grows, but certainly they don't find them all. These grows not only put hikers and recreationalists at risk (cartels are usually armed), but also the law enforcement agents who have to deal with them.

In a place that is the veritable Amsterdam of the US, not everyone smokes the stuff, and the people who do smoke it do it for different reasons (nausea, pain, pleasure, anxiety). Heck, I knew an older gentleman who had actually moved there from Kansas because he was using it for Lou Gherig's disease. According to doctors, he was supposed to be dead six years ago. Fears of a widespread epidemic following legalization are, in my opinion, just a little far-fetched and reactionary. It became clear to me that the plant is what you make of it. If you want to buy into the propaganda coming from either side of the argument, then fine. But I'll say that the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I have a family member who had a long battle with meth addiction, which probably would not have happened had the pot he began smoking been available from a source other than an illegal drug dealer. Legalizing it would not only drive down the price, but it would also drive down the profits of those Mexican cartels. Like I said, wake up America (and kick Big Pharma in the rear while you're at it).

And don't attack me, attack my arguments.

kansas778 7 years, 2 months ago

I think if potheads weren't so annoying it would have been legalized years ago...

kansas778 7 years, 2 months ago

Marion--I could care less about the history of it, perhaps you haven't been on the other side of it, but working with potheads is a major pain. They don't even know how awful they are as co-workers because they are zoned out zombies.

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

kansas778: Well, potheads are probably as much fun to work with as your average drunk. Perhaps the problem is dealing with people who consume too much. But then, the ones who are not excessive users, you probably wouldn't notice them by definition, neh?

kansas778 7 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, working with someone who is drunk would be a pain too. But let's face it, people drink after work, potheads think they should be high 24/7.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 2 months ago

Not everyone that smokes pot is a pothead as you describe, Kansas, and there are probably smokers around you that you have no idea about. And I wonder where you work where you are deadling with potheads all day.

I had sufferred from a condition and had used it medicinally. After all kinds of remedies from my Dr., it was the only thing that would alieviate the pain without knocking me completely out or drug me out the next day.

Legalize it!

right_thinker (Anonymous) says:

I agree:..legalize it::tax it:..whateverthat could pay for HillaryCare. The Mexican border would be alot less deadly, everyone can come out of the shadows. Liquor is waaaaaaay more destructive than pot:.I think most agree.

Dear Goddess! I am in complete agreement with reverything right thinker said in that post !! If I believed in Hell I am sure it would be freezing over right now.

pace 7 years, 2 months ago

legalize it. The only reason the legislatures do not listened to the people , and they haven't for a long time, is we don't have that much money.

kansas778 7 years, 2 months ago

Azure--I worked with these people when I had part-time jobs in restaurants when I was going to KU. And no, not everyone who smokes pot is like that all the time. But by god, those who are, are so annoying. I wouldn't care at all if they did that at home, but why do they have to do that crap at work too. I worked with drunks, and saw them show up to work drunk a couple of times, but the potheads would show up high almost every single day. It's like people know that showing up to work drunk is a major faux-pas, but they think it's their god-given right to be high all the time. I would say legalize it, but make the age limit 21, and allow for employers and athletic teams and anyone else to screen for it and not hire users if they so choose.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

Looks like I'm empty. Think I'll have another medical beer....

kansas778 7 years, 2 months ago

"Many events follow sequential patterns without being causally related."

Yes, but most of the time they are causally related, and this pattern of thinking is imprinted on human and animal minds (pavlov's dogs) for that very reason: that most of the time it's true. So while technically correct, it's going to be a rather unconvincing argument for most people.

Terry Jacobsen 7 years, 2 months ago

Well Marion... I may not have studied up on the "history" of pot, but I can tell you this. My sister has been an occasional user of pot for years and her brain is fried. She can't even hardly function in the real world. So that is all the history that I need to know. Pot=fried brain. Not good.

meggers 7 years, 2 months ago

TJ,

Did you ever wonder if your sister's brain might be 'fried' from something other than weed? A lot of people turn to alcohol, pot, and other substances as a way to self-medicate a mental illness that they are unaware of or unwilling to accept. Bipolar, depression, aspergers...you name it. It's quite common for people to blame one substance or another for 'frying' someone's brain, when the person's brain would be plenty messed up all on its own. Marijuana and other mind-altering substances also sometimes trigger psychosis in those who already have brain dysfunction, but have never shown overt symptoms. I'm sorry to hear about your sis, but I strongly doubt that weed alone was the culprit.

Terry Jacobsen 7 years, 2 months ago

MEGGARS WROTE: I'm sorry to hear about your sis, but I strongly doubt that weed alone was the culprit.

I doubt that you know anything about my sister. She isn't psychotic nor does she suffer from any other kind of mental disorder. The fact is that she fried her brain on pot and all of the web links and "studies" won't change that. Get it. Pot is a bad idea just like alchohol and anything else that impairs your ability to function.

libertarianjim 7 years, 2 months ago

I suggest everyone read the Constitution. The government has been destroying the liberties and freedom the founding fathers envisioned for the citizenry for years. Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Abe Lincoln etc. are rolling over in their graves right now. Doctors and patients should make medical decisions, not politicians and fascists.