Letters to the Editor

Tax relief

October 9, 2007


To the editor:

Recently, Lawrence was touted as one of the more desirable cities in the nation for retirees. It is true that the city has much to offer senior citizens, but the aura might soon fade as a result of a seeming over-active appetite for spending by the local school board and an absence of any property tax relief by local and state government.

Kansas is one of the states that does not have tax laws that provide relief to seniors. I have written to Rep. Kenny Wilk, chairman of the House Taxation Committee, requesting that he initiate legislation to remedy that deficiency in Kansas, and will ask voters of the city and county, including those in my town of Baldwin City, to look with a jaundiced eye at proposals to issue more bonds for school buildings. The editorial in the Oct. 3 issue of the Journal-World makes a good point.

Ralph Tanner,

Baldwin City


BigDog 10 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Tanner just last session the Kansas legislature provided a disregard for all Social Security income for those seniors making less than $50,000 a year (it rises to $75,000 in 2009). They also provided relief for low-income seniors in the homestead tax program.

I don't believe that people should get a break from the increased costs of property taxes based upon being a senior alone. Maybe the state should do something for those that are lower income. Why should someone living in a $350,000 home in Johnson County with a significant income not pay increased property taxes because they are a senior; but a 25 year old married couple with small children who are living in a $50,000 home with less income should pay the increase?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.