Letters to the Editor

KU sellout

November 27, 2007

To the editor:

So we got just what we deserve. Kansas University wants us to support our school, yet we sent a college team to play on a professional field they were not used to in the opposing team's back yard. All for the sake of the almighty dollar. Shame on us.

For the price of the almighty dollar our school gave away home-field advantage to Missouri. For the price of the almighty dollar, our ticket holders sold their KU seats to Missouri fans. For the price of the almighty dollar, KU sent all the local revenue out of our city and our state over to Missouri. And Missouri wins all the way around.

Congratulations to a game well played in Missouri. And I myself will think twice about contributing to a school that does not believe in keeping our revenue, our fan base, our dollars, and our pride in the local community where it belongs.

Tracy Trefz,

Eudora

Comments

BigPrune 7 years, 1 month ago

It's all about greed. (Did KU) accept payment in exchange for money (selling out the local community) and compromise their principles for their own monetary gain, or is this the definition of a whore?

BigPrune 7 years, 1 month ago

Loss of revenue to the local businesses and taxpayers or sour grapes, call it what you like.

KS 7 years, 1 month ago

And how did you like going to the game with a ticket you purchased, with a seat number on it, only to find the seat occupied by a Missouri fan with the same identical seat number. When compalining to the event services folks, only to be told, "after all, it was YOUR university that oversold tickets".. You were left with SRO. A very real sellout.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

"Yet we sent a college team to play on a professional field they were not used to in the opposing team's back yard."

Just for kicks, I looked this up. It's 35 miles from Lawrence to downtown Kansas City. From downtown Kansas City to Columbia (where MU is, in case you're wondering) it's 126 miles. That's almost 4 times as far. Say what you want about the makeup of Kansas City fans (and I'm sure you will, as it's clear you're still looking for excuses other than that we got outplayed by a superior team) but the idea that we were playing on anything but neutral turf if pretty thin, if you ask me.

deskboy04 7 years, 1 month ago

KU is supported by people around the county...not just from Lawrence. There are thousands of KU supporters from the area within 30 miles of Arrowhead. This game was also about them.

mwallace99 7 years ago

Want to get back at Lew? Support Joe College. He hates them and has been trying to close them down for years. I know I am buying more tshirts there!!!

cowboy 7 years, 1 month ago

yes it was neutral turf , not a home game which it should have been. Drove me nuts to see that a$$wipe tiger suited fan running around at our supposed home game. I was downtown saturday morning and it was dead as a doornail , rather sad in fact.

This stunt and money grab by Perkins and the conneticut mafia combined with greasy Carl does nothing but cheapen the college tradition . Ku was outplayed but the loss of a primetime event has hurt Lawrence residents , businesses , and lost jobs and income for all of those who work the games , sell the food and gear , and provide the hospitality for 50,000 plus fans.

I would guess that each fan spends about $50 or more on food drinks , and that quickly adds up to 2.5 mil taken out of the local economy and sent directly to the chiefs pocketbooks , a Missouri entity.

I for one , think that what may be an attractive payday for KU is absolutely the wrong thing for the community but I guess that is what you get when you are a complete SELLOUT. While the University believes is is not accountable to anyone anymore and can run roughshod over long term fans and the community it lives in , it simply displays the all too common behavior of , " well everyone else does it ".

My mama told me not to jump off the bridge when every one else did . And this is a perfect example of a time to do what is right , not what gets you extra dollars !

geppetto 7 years, 1 month ago

yep the whole thing left a bad taste.

thanksforcoming 7 years, 1 month ago

What a great atmosphere for kids to play in. Lew Perkins is an educator who advocates for students college experience. So downtown lost some money. If you hadn't noticed basketball season is here and with the talent we have and teh potential we have the downtown will gain their money back. How about being 19, 20, 21 years old and getting to play in that stadium for the biggest game of your life. That is what it's about. So they lost. Say what you want about homefield advantage, if I am a football player and I have the chance to play in front of 50k or 80k I am choosing 80. I had a blast at the game, except my team lost. I had fun watching two great football teams going after each other for all the marbles. Who cares about the money. Lawrence has enough anyway. Besides, why are you complaining about local revenue for Lawrence? You are from Eudora. Did Eudora's downtown suffer because of the game?

trvlronda 7 years, 1 month ago

I am curious......I wonder what the difference in revenue for KU will be between the National Championship and the Cotton bowl? HMMMMMM.....

I am proud of our team --great job guys!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

ksdivakat 7 years, 1 month ago

Its all good tracy....we still have basketball and MU's bball team......well it speaks volumes for itself, we had an undefeated season, Mu didnt, and we have bball and Mu well...doesnt, we will recoup that in bball season as this is all out boder battle now, so MU will be in Lawrence for that and we'll regain that loss........cheer up! All Mu has in bball is those "pesky probation hearings" that someone else blogged about on another story!!!

JayhawksandHerd 7 years, 1 month ago

Lew Perkins, an "educator?" Now I've heard it all...

Noweigh 7 years, 1 month ago

Florida/Georgia, OU/Texas, not older but far bigger rivalries historically than Kansas/Mizzou have ever been in the football world. These two games are played every year off campus. Every year they sell out, every year the schools make big money and every year those schools football programs have made ours look paltry. We are slowly but very surely making real progress towards a competitive team each and every year, not just every 4th year. Arrowhead Stadium provided an even greater spotlight for KU, let alone the extra revenue. We had 7 home games here. The restaurants and bars were packed that night. We've had a great season thanks to efforts within the athletic department. There is a real commitment, finally, to football. We lost to a better team, at least that night. On whole, I'll take this years results and efforts(good and bad) over any in recent memory. It's been nice being on the national stage this year.

guesswho 7 years, 1 month ago

Pretty funny that the writer was complaining about the 'almighty dollar' as the reason the game was at Arrowhead, and then lamenting the revenue (i.e., 'almighty dollar') wasn't kept here. Yes, it was about money, but also about getting more exposure, better recruits, for all student-athletes.

We had a great year with one game left. National champ teams win no matter where they are, they don't need the home-field advantage. We are good, but Missouri was the better team on Saturday.

Bruce Bertsch 7 years, 1 month ago

The payout for any BCS bowl and the Arrowhead game is about the same. The Big XII divides the bowl proceeds evenly amoung the teams.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 7 years, 1 month ago

Fire Bob Hemenway. He's the one with all the pals over in KCMO, where he's selling KU's branding to St. Lukes. This guy has sucked wind since he walked in the door. Can't KU find a real chancellor and get rid of this poser?

gontek 7 years, 1 month ago

I felt the same way right after the game. Of course hindsight is 20-20. We gave away home field advantage for a million bucks, which isn't even that big of a figure to the athletics dept. Of course, again we had no way of knowing we'd be in contention for a BCS championship at the time of this game. How much would that have paid?

Here's the best analogy I have come up with: It's like selling your virginity for a million dollars to someone you hate. Yeah you have a million dollars now, but how did that make you feel? You'd regret it for the rest of your life.

Lindsey Buscher 7 years, 1 month ago

Hm, I find the divide amongst KU fans on this topic interesting. I want to try to clear the air a bit with my own interpretation.

I correctly predicted that a KU loss would equal people using the venue as a scapegoat. I do not think, however, that should be the case, at least not for the reasons most people cite. The obvious problem for the venue change was the fact that as great as it was for Big 12 exposure, but why would you want to "neutralize" the arena for doing battle with your most heated rivalry?

I say exposure for Big 12 and Chefs, because additional exposure for the two schools involved was null. In other words, KU and Fizzou would have gotten an equal amount of national attention for this game no matter where it was played.

I think that if we all did not know before, we definitely know now who the better team is. However, as It was our year for a home game, it could have just as easily been played in Lawrence, which would have given us a home crowd (95% KU fans, silence on offense, noise on defense) and home field advantage--our team in their comfort zone and Fizzou crossing the state line into a very hostile city and environment. Is that not what parity in college football is all about? The only time the lesser team wins on the road or in a neutral site is when they sneak up on the favorite; so how does KU sneak up on Fizzou? Still, is there any one of you who believes both that we are not the lesser and that we could have pulled it out at home?

Finally, people will argue that if we are a good team then we need to be able to take on all comers in any venue...well...my view is a bit different. I think that we need to take a 'W' any way we can get it. What's more, is the Big 12 title game not at a neutral site? And the BCS bowl game we would have gone to after that game? Are those not good enough proving grounds? Why do we have to prove ourself at a neutral site against our most hated rival?

The goal against Fizzou is to win, Lew!

brutus53 7 years, 1 month ago

Sour grapes? I think not! It was a horrible experience among everyone I know, starting with the hour long wait getting into the stadium because the Chiefs had no one directing traffic. It was two hours for some. It certainly wasn't suitable for families, not with the obscene language and attire worn, particularly by the MU fans! The best team won on Saturday, but that doesn't mean the situation was very professional, certainly not by the Chiefs! I don't care if it's closer than Columbia! The people I know have all contacted Perkins to say we will not be at next year's game!

dirkleisure 7 years, 1 month ago

The Lew bashing is pretty old.

Here is the most important statement made in this letter: "For the price of the almighty dollar, our ticket holders sold their KU seats to Missouri fans. "

The real sell outs? University of Kansas ticket holders. Lew Perkins didn't make you sell you tickets. If anything, the thousands of you who sold your tickets to MU fans should be thanking Lew, as the decision to move the game to KC dramatically increased the value of a seat.

Also, there is no difference in revenue to Kansas between a BCS bowl and the Cotton Bowl. Under Big 12 conference rules, bowl revenue is split evenly among all teams.

Bud Stagg 7 years, 1 month ago

I have no problem with the game being over there. I do have a problem with the chiefs season ticket holders getting first right of refusal on tickets. Many of them were MU fans or sold their tickets to MU fans. I and my fellow season ticket holders donate much more money than most chiefs fans to KU. I should get first right of refusal and I should get better seats than they do. Any season ticket holder who sold their tickets to an MU fan should have their tickets revolked.

If you are a true KU fan, then your butt should have been in a seat at Arrowhead. I would say it was pretty even in attendance but I would give MU the edge. That sucks. It costs money to put on a good football program. Support your team, go to their games no matter where they are, or shut up.

The local companies who cried sour grapes over this deal are greedy, they got 7 home games this year. I remember years when there were 5 home games.

MooseisLoose 7 years, 1 month ago

Tracy- Why do you live in Eudora? Almighty dollar?

craigers 7 years, 1 month ago

For the first time this year KU was really out of their element in the first half of the game. If KU would have won, not nearly as many people would be harping on this move. The game was great and our team has done wonderful this year.

dirkleisure 7 years, 1 month ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says:

BCS Bowl $17 million Cotton Bowl $3 million

And all that money goes to the Big 12 conference. KU gets 1/12th of it. In other words, it doesn't matter if it is KU or Baylor in the BCS game, the Jayhawks still get paid.

gontek 7 years, 1 month ago

I would like to add that I am extremely proud of my alma mater's football team, and offer congratulations on a great season. Mangino, Lew, and Bob are all OK in my book. Yes I am bitter after a loss to Mizzou, but I didn't choose to go to KU because I hate K-state or Mizzou - I chose it because it is a better school overall and a great place to be a college basketball fan. I can just as easily (continue to) be a football fan at a great football school, and the future looks bright in that aspect.

That said, I have no reason not to support the big 12 north in the upcoming Big 12 Champ bowl or a BCS bid. While I am slightly conflicted by this, I don't hate Mizzou, in fact Columbia is a pretty cool town and Mizzou is a good school. While annoying, most of the Mizzou fans I encountered at the game were ok to tailgate with graceful in their win.

We'll get those tigers next year, and I'll be there again to see it!

motomom 7 years, 1 month ago

did anyone else notice that there seemed to be more mizzou fans too? i thought WE were the HOME team....and it really did not feel that way..... we still are going to a great bowl...i hope lotsa fans go....this team deserves the best. what an incredible season.....i practically forgot about basketball...

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

Aren't we co-champions of the big north - on paper, anyway?

ralphralph 7 years ago

It was all an illusion. The Hawks were never really very good. They played patsies until the Mizzou 'home' game. They were exposed. It was fun pretending to be good. Now it's over.

BigDog 7 years ago

I wonder how many of those complaining about the game not being in Lawrence even go to the games.

Such hypocrits who say Lew Perkins sold out for money .... then only complain about the money Lawrence didn't receive. I guess it was just about money for some of you too.

tigerforlife 7 years ago

History will not dwell on where the game was played, only that your 11-0 season and national championship hopes died at the paws of the Missouri Tigers. How does that taste KU whiners? Chew on that for eternity!!!!

BigDog 7 years ago

swogom (Anonymous) says:

I wouldn't talk too much there swogom ....... your national championship hopes could also die this weekend.

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

Kiss my bubble gum, swogom. Brag when you beat Oklahoma. I'm a KU fan, I do go to the games, and I am not whining.

gogoplata 7 years ago

We should never give up a home game in Lawrence. I bet if Mangino felt like he could speak freely about this he would say the same thing.

jonas 7 years ago

"You would never find this kind of drama at K-State."

Yeah right.

ksdivakat 7 years ago

Bearded_Clam (Anonymous) says:

Ha Ha! The better team won. You would never find this kind of drama at K-State. The Wildcats beat the snot out of OU at Arrowhead a few years back. Quit pissing and moaning, just worry about how many b-ball players will get into trouble this year: ***************8 I believe if my memory serves me correctly.....its the MU b-ball team that is in trouble with the law all the time, and what was that coaches name that couldnt even get them to MIT?? oh yeah thats right quinn.............and wasnt there a bball player that was in trouble with the law all the time for domestic violence?? way to go with the example MU!!!!

Larry Bauerle 7 years ago

It's been a great season and will continue to be one, whether it is a BCS bowl or Cotton Bowl. And in the morning I can still look in the mirror and not see a friggin Missouri Tiger. Life is good.

estespark 7 years ago

Not having the game in Columbia ever again is worth the loss in revenue.

vhawk 7 years ago

Well said, I am a student and had to sit four rows from the highest point of the stadium while half of the first two sections were solid black. Before the game Missouri fans constantly harassed me and others who were simply minding our business. The decision of having the game at Arrowhead was strictly made for money, and whoever made it clearly does not give a damn about KU or it's tradition. We drove one hour, to sit in traffic for another hour and a half, and then on top of all of that had to spend $22 to park in our enemies state. This game felt like anything but what one would anticipate for a KU HOME game. We were in our enemies home state when we should have been in ours. I absolutely dreaded that this game was in Missouri, the home of these obnoxious, raciest, and homophobic people, we spent our money, broke tradition, and were constantly discriminated against. So whoever made this decision needs to know they are greedy, and screwed KU and its devoted fans.

estespark 7 years ago

It seems to me the KU-MU rivalry has grown much larger than their undersized campus stadiums.

kmat 7 years ago

The one thing that keeps sticking out in my mind is that Norm Stewart and Mizzou took pride in never spending a dime in KS. They would wait until hours before any game before heading to KS because they seriously wouldn't allow the team to spend any money in the state of KS. But KU sells out and gives all the revenue to MO for KU's home game.

The fact that we did give up a lot of tax revenue to the state of MO pisses me off since we are enduring tax increases in Lawrence because the city is broke. Earlier this year we were being told that the residents of Lawrence needed to pay to fix up the buildings on campus because we are the one's that benefit from having the university here, but then they turn around and give a money generating game to MO. Yeah, the residents of Lawrence always reap the benefits of KU. NOT!!!

I love my Jayhawks and will always support the team, but truely hate the leadership (lack of) at KU. It's been almost 20 years since I first attended KU and it doesn't seem like much has changed.

manus_flexibilis 7 years ago

ballheaded lew-siffer! build the 42nd bypass, so we can get to the 117 border war in a timely manner;>) oh! is this the hate lew site$

ksdivakat 7 years ago

Bearded_Clam (Anonymous) says:

Hey ksdivakitty, please don't think bad about me by thinking that i'm actually a MU fan: I can't stand KU or MU, i'm all KSU!!!

so dont fall out but, Im ok with KSU....its all kansas, used to be in the day that KSU would whip us in football and we would whip them in bball, and now they have gotten much better at bball and we have got much better at football.....I wouldnt be a MU hater either if it wasnt for the way they act when they are here or when they play us and the sad part is that their coaching staff and the powers that be allow that.....do you think for 1 tiny second that mangino or self would allow any of their players to act like MU or even KU's fans?? Hell no, so thats my prob with MU as atested by the student above who spoke of his experinece saturday at the game.......so KSU is ok with me too......but MU........cough...cough...is something else!!! LOL

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

"i'm all KSU!!!"

Hey Bearded_Clam, after reading your posts, I am not surprised....you don't sound like a happy positive person. That is understood...

75Hawk 7 years ago

I attended the game at Arrowhead with 4 other people, one friend and his daughter, another brought his 8th grade son. It was a drunk fest, like I have never seen before. We had drunk MU fans in front of us and drunk MU fans behind us. They were screaming F KU and other offensive and inappropriate things. By the second half my friend's 8th grader was sitting there crying. I will not attend another event like this .... ever. Arrowhead stadium did not provide an atmosphere that I will support.

quigley 7 years ago

Somehow I think that KU will be fine, even without your Eudora money.

gogoplata 7 years ago

I didn't have tickets to the game but had it been in Lawrence I would have went out to enjoy the atmosphere and sit on the hill. Let Mizzou host thier home game in Arrowhead if they want to. This thing really sucks.

bugmenot 7 years ago

Get over the person who lives in Eudora. Lawrence lost out on sales tax revenue, but so did Douglas County and the state of Kansas. They have a reason to complain, too. Even if you live way out in Great Bend or Hays, you lost out because we moved the game over the state line.

gogoplata 7 years ago

Is there a petition somewhere I can sign to protest giving up our home game to play in Arrowhead for 2009?

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

rise above it, Gootsie. rise above it, Gootsie.

It's too easy and you're better than that.

blackwalnut 7 years ago

I refused to go to the game in Missouri.

I think moving it to Missouri was wrong. I think losing is the result of that poor decision.

kcchiefmatt 7 years ago

FYI, for all you people who are worried about KU fans spending money in Missouri. The MU Football team actually stayed at a hotel on the Kansas side of the state line, so all the money they spent was in Kansas on Friday and Saturday night. Also, I don't buy into the fact that all the KU people sold there tickets. If you were at the game you could see that the MU fans were on one side of the lower level and the KU fans were on the other. They split right at the 50 yard line and the remaining majority of KU fans were on the upper level. I think KU should have been given the entire lower level since this was a home game and MU fans should have been stuck on the upper level.

djgratt59 7 years ago

Pilgrime:

You're ignorant of basic physical law. To state the venue "had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game" is complete non-sense.

Bone777 7 years ago

Perkin's does bring a lot of money to the program.. but he also cares nothing for the people that support the teams. Maybe that's not his job, but I can still dislike him and his decisions..