Archive for Friday, May 4, 2007

Residents pray in national event

Veritas Christian School junior Stephen May has a quiet moment of prayer as others pray behind him during the National Day of Prayer at South Park. A group of about 100 people gathered Thursday at the park for the event.

May 4, 2007

National Day of Prayer

Lawrence residents explain why the National Day of Prayer is important. Enlarge video

Lawrence residents joined the faithful all over the world Thursday in a National Day of Prayer.

Beck Finger, a Veritas Christian School student, was among 100 people who gathered Thursday in South Park.

"It sounds so cliche and everyone says it, but we truly want to see Lawrence change, we want to see the churches just explode with life, and we just want to see God come alive in Kansas," she said.

"It's just important to me, just to draw closer to God and just to think about all he's done for me in my life. I'm here just to spend time with God and just really thank him," said Joshua McDermott, a Veritas student.

For another Veritas student, Chelsea Redmond, the National Day of Prayer was important beyond Lawrence.

"We live in a country that is moving in a direction that is away from God," she said. "When we come here together like this, he's with us and it's important to pray to him because he does hear us."

The religious celebration continues today and Saturday, with an overnight prayer event at Haskell Indian Nations University. The event begins at 5 p.m. today and runs nonstop through 7 p.m. Saturday.

Comments

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 8 months ago

How can some of you people be against praying? It's one day a year! Get over it already.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 8 months ago

This is good for them, why should it bother others?

buffalo_star 7 years, 8 months ago

jesus said to pray in secret ( matthew 6:6) and i agree with his teaching but many religions have taken on the "in your face" attitude of pop culture. i wonder if he would approve of these "demostrations" of faith. i think to be humble is the first step on the holy road and the most difficult of all.

KLATTU 7 years, 8 months ago

"We live in a country that is moving in a direction that is away from {the Christian} God"

Why is that?  Is it because the occasional atheist writes a book?  Is it because there are many other cultures and religions on this planet?  Nope, it's a negative reaction caused by the many hypocritical, high profile, power/money grubbing Christians:  Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, Ted Haggard, war mongering right wing politicians who hold the Christian God up as justification for their actions, and the examples go on and on and on.  It's because of the Christians who use Christ to turn a profit.  It's because of the Christians who use Christ to justify their hatred of other people.

I know that these nasty Christians are not like the typical American Christian, but they are the ones that represent you, and their behavior reflects very negatively on Christianity.  Just as moderate, law abiding Muslims need to stand up and denounce and stop the violent radicals, moderate law abiding (both church law and governement law) Christians need to clean up their own house/church before worrying about the rest of us.

Commandments one through four don't mean much to me, but I'm a big fan of commandments five through ten.  Jesus seemed like a smart fellow on many accounts.  He knew that leading by example is the most effective way to gain followers.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

A National Day of Prayer was established as an annual event in 1952 by President Harry Truman. In 1988, President Ronald Reagan decided it would take place the first Thursday of May. Reagan lied to Congress as has GW Bush.

Seems like Truman and Reagan should have left well enough alone. Is GW governing less ....nope! Government is all over a woman's body.

"We live in a country that is moving in a direction that is away from God," -Chelsea Redmond That may be true about me but hardly the far greater majority of america. Certainly I do not consider Dick and Lynn Cheney, Fox News team, Falwell,Robertson,Bill Bennett,GW Bush, Reagan and the PNAC group any closer to God than anyone else on the planet for these folks support the killing of innocent mideasterns.

Again: "Government is best which governs least" Thomas Jefferson taken from: http://www.politicalvanguard.com/archive:

Seems like Truman and Reagan should have left well enough alone. Then there is Pres. GW Bush the liar and thief.

joshua1532 7 years, 8 months ago

Merrill,

Jefferson also said: "God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever." [Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781] - (Parts of this are inscribed into the walls of the Jefferson Memorial)

The founding fathers were far from perfect men. They were all human like the rest of us, but you can also find other quotes (with sources identified) at: http://www.eadshome.com/QuotesoftheFounders.htm

FYI...the link you gave is a dead link and the quote is probably taken out of context.

Josh

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Ahhh. . . you get the idea.

I'd love to play this game further, but I have a lot of things to do today. Have fun.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Just like there is a small, yet radical and vocal far-right element that would like you to believe that your rights to pray and excercise your religion are being taken away. Just as with any protected class in. . . ahh you get the idea.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

Veritas may be leading these young minds in the wrong direction considering their statements. One of their former leaders is is in prison for murdering his wife while having an affair which is example of NOT perfect some can be.... how can we forget Newt.

okjhok 7 years, 8 months ago

Another person's beliefs, convictions, faith, etc., should mean absolutely nothing to anyone else. I'm agnostic and my wife is catholic. On occasion I do point out the flaws in her religion, but it's a healthy discussion, and I try and learn from it. For the most part, though, we don't discuss religion, because we respect eachothers own beliefs.
A National Day of Prayer seems rediculous to me. These people actually need to set aside a day of the year to be closer to their god? So every other day of the year are they just quasi-close to their god? Will one of the praying types enlighten me?

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

"Veritas may be leading these young minds in the wrong direction considering their statements. One of their former leaders is is in prison for murdering his wife while having an affair which is example of NOT perfect some can be:. how can we forget Newt."

That's. . . . pretty low, Merrill. And it's just begging for someone to bring up Ted Kennedy. Thinking actions by individual members invalidates a group is crap.

JoRight 7 years, 8 months ago

I cant answer that question okjhok. What I can say is if / when one of these prayer type people get closer to God, throw in a "good fishing weekend" prayer for me.

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

This entire activity disgust me. Read your bible people. It specifically says to not pray in public like this. But your all too busy putting on a show for everyone so that you can be convinced that your a "good Christian" even though you are a dark and bitter person full of hate and spite for all mankind.

ksmoderate 7 years, 8 months ago

Best post of the day goes to Pywacket!

RonBurgandy 7 years, 8 months ago

"Would you be saying the same thing if it was a national day of prayer for Muslims? Buddhists? Zoroastrians?

What about a national day of no prayer for atheists? I'm quite sure none of the usual suspects on here would insult that particular event, now would they?"

Sure would. Wouldn't bother me, people have the right to believe what they want to believe.

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 8 months ago

Smitty and Ragingbear, Your assumptions of public prayer, I believe, require you to take the referred-to Scripture out of context.

saraheckman 7 years, 8 months ago

did anyone else see the new prayer sculpture downtown in front of the eldridge. it looks like a pay phone for prayer

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 7 months ago

make me sound "holier-than-thou".

You accomplished that on your own by inviting the news cameras to watch you pray. The Pharisees would be proud. Even they didn't get that much publicity.

John Kyle 7 years, 8 months ago

looks like no one prayed for world peace...or else there's no one actually answering these prayers.

ksmoderate 7 years, 8 months ago

Scene: that link is outstandingly hilarious! My favorite was "...then click on the AMEN button..."

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 8 months ago

True Christians pray in private. Those who follow the examples of the Pharisees by making sure everyone (including the media outlets that they called) sees them praying in public are making a mockery of Jesus words. ("Hey everyone, look at me! I'm holy!", "Hey the camera is rolling so I think I'll put both arms in the air and close my eyes so I look more holy.") Instead of having a "day" of prayer, these pseudo-christians should probably follow Jesus' example and pray every day...not just one designated day of the year. Would Jesus join the Pharisees on the street corner and show off? No way. I respect peoples' rights to assemble, but please don't try to pass yourselves off as Christians.

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

Ah good old Christian double standards and double talk. Interpret the scriptures according to your belief at hand. Even use the same scriptures in the same statement to renounce that.

How about that part that says to stop shoving your religion down our throats? Oh yeah, that's right. It's not in there. But there is plenty of times where they are instructed to ruthlessly slaughter people.

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

If everyone acted like Jesus, we would die as a species. He didn't do anything other than preach to people. He told many people to stop working and doing their jobs and follow him. He commonly broke the laws because he found them unfair.

Basically, Jesus was a hippie. Not the type that believe in peace, love and hard work to get results, but the type that just free-floats everywhere and expects everyone else to take care of him.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm planning for my coven to hold a drum circle in the park. I hope there is an article about. I can't wait to see all the charitable comments from the "christians" who post here.

"I t does me no injury for my neighbor to say there is no god, or that there are 20 gods. It niether picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." Thomas Jefferson

Freedom of religion means any religion.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 8 months ago

I have a question. In the book of genesis who is God talking to when he says"let US create man in our own image"? And deutronomy warns of "praying to any other God..." Sounds to me like there is/was more than one god in the beginning. Am I completely off base or is this proof of the existence of many Gods?

Confrontation 7 years, 8 months ago

So, if all these people prayed yesterday, then shouldn't the war in Iraq end today? Shouldn't everyone get health insurance? No? Praying to the sky god doesn't solve all problems? Is this what you get when you take god out of prayer circles?

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 8 months ago

"I'm planning for my coven to hold a drum circle in the park. I hope there is an article about."

We've heard this type of thing before regarding prayer in public schools. Always a lot of talk, but never any action. People sometimes ask, "How would the christians like it if a Buddhist or a Muslim led the school prayer?!" It's a good idea, but no Buddhist or Muslim (or any other group) ever steps up to the plate. So, when's your drum circle? If you want an article to be written about it, you need to have a cause that generates attention about something. You should say you're doing it to raise money for cancer or something. That will really throw people for a loop!

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 8 months ago

Kim, Are you serious? Prayer in public school? That was taken out a long, long time ago. Except for prayers before games, and I seriously doubt these zealous jock coaches are going to indulge a round of chanting.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 8 months ago

Scene - I wasn't commenting on the usual suspects comment. I was just saying it wouldn't bother me if there was a national day for other religions. I would be saying the same thing. Sorry, I should have made my comment more clear.

person184 7 years, 8 months ago

I think praying in the park is ok. School prayer is a different bird. Don't force your stuff on my kids even if we both "go to church".

joshua1532 7 years, 8 months ago

geekin_topekan,

The verse in Genesis has been interpreted different ways, but the most common one I have heard is that 'US' is the first illustration of the Trinity (God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit).

As far as Deuteronomy, God was speaking primarily against worshiping idols as gods. For example: Deu 4:28-29 and 39 28 There in a foreign land, you will worship idols made from wood and stone, gods that neither see nor hear nor eat nor smell. 29 From there you will search again for the LORD you God. And if you search for him with all your hear and soul, you will find him. 39 So remember this and keep it firmly in mind: The LORD is God both in heaven and on earth, and there is no other god! (NLT)

I hope this provides a few examples of how to answer you questions. Genesis and Deuteronomy are just a small part of the whole story. Also, there are a lot of answers we are not supposed to know...we just have to accept them by faith.

Josh

Becky Finger 7 years, 8 months ago

first of all i would like to say, chin_ho, that the guy in the video is nothing like that. i do know him personally and it's not show for him. hey while you're talking smack on other people, why don't you twist what i said in the article. make me sound "holier-than-thou".

s_may 7 years, 7 months ago

Wow, you guys take this totally out of context. For one, the passage in Matthew that discusses prayer means that we should not praying in public in a boastful manner, not that we shouldn't pray in public at all. This event is just a day set aside to honor the reason of prayer, that we can talk to God, just like we set aside Secretaries day to honor them for their work.
About the people who raised their arms when they prayed: its just a different way. In the Old Testament, it talks of people kneeling, bowing, and raising their hands in the air to praise God. I typically don't do that, but their actions don't make them "holier than thou". To Confrontation: By us praying does not change God's actions. God cannot, has not, and never will be changed. He isn't a "sky god", we simply seem to pray to the sky since heaven is described many times as above the earth.

algazar 7 years, 7 months ago

How would you know if they invited the cameras to come? Were you there? I wasn't there, but I do know some of the people who were. They are not the kind of people who would decide to invite reporters to come and film them or take pictures or anything like that. They are not the kind of people who will "put both hands in the air and close their eyes" to look more holy or look good for a picture. They are people who are passionate about what they believe and they are sharing that with other people who are passionate about God. Regardless of whether there are reporters around or not, they still pray, in public or not. They pray on a daily basis, not for show or to be recognized, but because they are, as I said, very passionate people for God. To the people who went to the National Day of Prayer, I say: thank you for being willing to stand up for what you believe.