Archive for Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Helpful report

March 21, 2007

To the editor:

I wanted to thank the watchful and kind person who saw the driver hit my brother's car in front of our home a week ago and drive off. If it wasn't for you seeing the hit-and-run and reporting it to the police, my brother wouldn't have known who hit his car. Your kindness was greatly appreciated.

Teresa Thompson,

Lawrence

Comments

imastinker 8 years, 4 months ago

People like this really make me mad. Last thanksgiving someone hit my wifes car (while leaving church). It was too large a dent not to notice. I paid for that to keep my insurance rates from going up. Three months later I backed into a car leaving a restaurant. I then got to pay for his car and my truck. It just makes me mad - I've had to pay for all of them and only one accident was my fault.

Whoever these people are that do this type of thing, I hope they have trouble sleeping at night.

Ragingbear 8 years, 4 months ago

Whoa, what? I'm sorry, I was too busy talking on my cell phone to be bothered with something like bumps in the road.

Ragingbear 8 years, 4 months ago

CALL WHO?! I CAN'T TALK REALLY LOUD! I'M IN THE LIBRARY! I SAID I'M IN THE LIBRARY! I'M IN THE LIBRARY! I SAID I'M IN THE LIBRARY SO I CAN'T TALK REALLY LOUD!

costello 8 years, 4 months ago

imastinker: This is a topic which has me pretty irritated lately too. And I learned how to avoid paying for those pesky insurance claims. Deny liability.

On Feb. 17 I was pulling into a parking spot at Best Buy. A 21-year-old kid from Johnson County opened his door into the side of my car. He claimed his door was already open when I pulled into the spot. How I managed to put a huge dent in the SIDE of my car (while simultaneously not damaging his door) by running into his open door isn't clear to me.

But... on private property the police are no help. And no witnesses, so it's his word against mine. His company won't pay for my damage. Dishonesty pays.

Ragingbear 8 years, 4 months ago

Costello, take him to small claims court. Sounds like your best case scenario. Just because his insurance doesn't want to pay you (a common scenario) means nothing.

costello 8 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Ragingbear. I may do that.