Letters to the Editor

Godless coins

March 13, 2007

To the editor:

Yes, it is still on there, but why bother? You can no longer see it unless one happens to look on the edge of the coin, which eventually wears off and becomes smooth. Then you won't be able to see it at all.

This nation was built under "One God," and as far as I know "In God We Trust" has always been on our currency. Why change it now? Because some liberal is offended.

I keep hearing about freedom of speech. But what about my freedom? I say it's time we quit getting our rights taken away and be heard.

Dot Beckner,

Lawrence

Comments

gabbo 10 years, 5 months ago

Come on. If your GOD is upset over his name and likeness being realligned on currency in America, then you seriously should reevaluate your realationship with your maker. If an all knowing and powerful creator being did feasibly exist, why in GOD's name would he rain fire upon those with the gall to update a novelty that one can trade at a bank for a real dollar?

Ragingbear 10 years, 5 months ago

Dot Beckner, like most conservatives, is just making stuff up. The coins that do not say it are mistakes. There was a big news story all over the place a few days ago about it. The stamp is supposed to be located on the outer ridge of the coin, and not on the face.

Bill Chapman 10 years, 5 months ago

RagingBear has the right of it - there was a major news story on FOXNews about the mistake. It seems that, in a rush to manufacture the coins (and a slight problem with machine placement), the US mint in Philadelphia skipped a step in the manufacturing process. After stamping the faces of the coins, the coins are collected in a bin and then held for the edge stamping process. Unfortunately, the bin holding coins to be edge stamped got mixed in with bin that had already been edge stamped and were shipped out.

As for the GOD issue - one of the reasons this country even EXISTS is because of religious persecution and censorship. So gabbo - just keep it up! Who knows - you could be the reason a new country gets founded. Of course, there is also the revolt against the motherland (and LOTS of dead people), a civil was or two (more dead people), and a few hundred years of civil and society development to go through. (And LOTS of DEAD PEOPLE)! Strange that - dead people I mean. There always seem to be a lot of dead people involved when persecution and censorship seem to intermix. Maybe if more people where a little more willing to see another persons view, there wouldn't be so many DEAD PEOPLE.

Mike Blur 10 years, 5 months ago

Now that the furor has subsided for a couple hours--I have to inform you all, including the original letter writer, Dot Beckner, that the US Mint has offered up a "make-good."

Here you go--a new US Dollar Coin, NO HEADS, NO TAILS, just the edge inscription (including "In God We Trust!")

So there--everything is all an good in the world, and Dot and her ilk can find something else to fume over. (Undoubtedly, they'll find something.)

Strontius 10 years, 5 months ago

"They have taken the Pledge of Allegiance and prayer out of our schools. What next? Are they going to make us close our churches and pray in the dark corners of our basement, not to be seen or heard?"

If only that were possible, then maybe I wouldn't have to wake up in the morning and read the rantings of the intellectually retarded religious right.

Chuck Anziulewicz 10 years, 5 months ago

It bears noting that the phrase "In God We Trust" has not always been on our coins. It actually wasn't added until the Civil War Era.

And if you look closely, both the phrases "In God We Trust" and "E Pluribus Unum" are printed on the edge of the new dollar coins. The words are still there. Why should the size of the lettering matter?

And anyway, what business does our secular government have in declaring WHICH God we should trust? This isn't a theocracy. YET.

staff04 10 years, 5 months ago

"Because "my God" will have something to say to you."--Dot

Exactly, Dot. And "your god," according to the big book you've obviously spent so much time with, is a higher judge then you. Let's let him do the judging, mmmmkay?

ksmoderate 10 years, 5 months ago

In God We Trust. Who's "We?" Got a turd in your pocket?

temperance 10 years, 5 months ago

Since when is there a "right" to have religious mottos on our currency?

And am I reading this correctly? She's not mad because the motto has been removed, just that it's too difficult to see. Wow.

But to answer the question, Dot. It was me. My idea. The buck stops here. Temperance takes full responsibility for having the stupid idea to take "In God We Trust" off the new dollar coins. Direct your criticism accordingly.

Tom McCune 10 years, 5 months ago

"Show me the coin used for paying the tax." They brought him a denarius, and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?"

"Caesar's," they replied.

Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

tvc 10 years, 5 months ago

Actually, it is your god that wants you to pray in dark corners.

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him" (Matthew 6:5-8).

Gary Sandell 10 years, 5 months ago

Maybe God had those coins stamped wrong so that a good old conservative "capitalist" like me can collect them because they will be worth more money someday due to the print goof!

Gary Sandell 10 years, 5 months ago

God can be or do whatever he/she wants to be or do!

Bruce Bertsch 10 years, 5 months ago

Why no comment about the obvious lie of not allowing the Pledge of Allegiance in schools? The original writer is just making it up.

opinion 10 years, 5 months ago

Sasquatch34,

"I find it odd that the religious folks would want so badly their God to be represented on money, I mean it is the root of all evil, is it not? Dont worry folks, "God" will have your money soon enough."

As one that most on this board would call a religious nut, I have little concern whether "In God We Trust" ends up being on money. It has become an empty slogan that makes some "spiritual" people feel good about themselves. Putting some words on coins is not going to hide the obvious lack of trust this country has in God.

BTW - the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.

Porter 10 years, 5 months ago

tvc- That's one of the best quotes I've ever seen from the Bible. Thanks for pointing that out!!

paladin 10 years, 5 months ago

It's no secret that all liberals openly defy and undermine the Lord in everything they do. No rational person would debate this point. Sometimes though the ways in which they spit in the face of everything that is sacred can be subtle. Tree-hugging conservationists are one group of liberals that are too often underestimated by us morally minded Christians. We all know that Muslims, atheists, homo insurgents, and other liberals pose a very real threat to Christianity and the American way of life. Too often though we ignore the moral threat posed by the bearded granola-eating vegans among us. It's not that these anemic leaf-munchers pose much of a physical threat to anyone who doesn't resemble a soy plant, but when their depraved ideas permeate our culture then they can pose a true moral danger to all of us. In fact, the basic philosophical ideas of these nature loving freaks show a fundamental disrespect for The Lord. God has given us tall sturdy trees with which to build, precious shimmering oil to power our cars, and delicious meaty animals to eat, all in great abundance. When we don't take full advantage of these gifts then we can't be surprised when God takes it a bit personally. What it boils down to is that anyone who cries all day about global warming or who devotes any time to worrying about endangered species has no trust in God. If we need more oil or more spotted owls then God will simply restock the fridge. Don't disrespect the Almighty by worrying about what's going to happen when we clear-cut all the forests and pollute the air. Why take the chance of insulting the Almighty just because a couple of hippies tell you it's the right thing to do? I ignore these unwashed reprobates and refuse to even recycle my newspapers. If you don't follow my example, don't be surprised if you find yourself among the unsaved. And after the rapture while you're raiding Earth's fridge which at that point is filled with nothing but expired condiments, Jesus and I will share a good hearty laugh in Heaven at your expense.

Kontum1972 10 years, 5 months ago

its shotgun dick cheneys money..and he doesnt believe in god....just haliburton....and they are leaving .....ASAP!

bunnyhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Meatwad 10 years, 5 months ago

Paladin is definitely not the "antithesis of Christ's message". He IS the antitheses of those who are not funny. Thank you Paladin for cracking me up with your post!!! LOL

Dot is the antithesis of intelligent and educated. I don't know any liberals who are offended by "In God We Trust". We are too busy having lives.

Being offended by "In God We Trust" does not mean someone is a 'liberal' as Dot thinks. It means they need to get a life.

Emily Hadley 10 years, 5 months ago

This nation was built under "One God,"

Um, no. I do not know or trust your god.

Actually, this country was built by many, starting with trappers and traders coming to rip off Native Americans and take whatever they could. Then came the land seizures; I believe it was actually established as colonial territories of several different countries.

Later, many other founding immigrants were drawn to our country because they were persecuted for their religions.

Christian missionary St. Patrick's legend of driving the snakes out of Ireland is a good example of what takes place all over the world, all the time. The snakes were actually the ancient religions.

My ancestors came to this land to separate themselves from an oppressive government that tried to control and influence their religious practices. They busted their butts to help build this country, evidence of it still stands from here to New England.

Dot, if you think that the billions of people who have died fighting one another over their religious differences are all fighting for the same god, then surely that god must exist in every thing-- every flower, every chair, every mind, and every coin -- without it being scrawled, spraypainted, or scraped into every surface.

Emily Hadley 10 years, 5 months ago

Yes, surely Matthew's 'as far as I know' credibility goes a bit further.

prioress 10 years, 5 months ago

Which god?

"So you're saying that God is a liberal?" NO, but the TEACHER was; read your bible, particularly the sermon on the mount and the part about the money changers in the temple.

Gabe Hoffman 10 years, 5 months ago

Well, I hate to point out that, In God we trust, wasn't officially the country's motto, nor on all currency until 1956.

I guess the liberals were all running around having orgies, smoking dope, and killing babies per our usual, before the government set us straight by putting a pharse on currency which no one reads. Damn them!

And all I can say is I have pity for anyone who doesn't follow ancient Greek religion, beacuse Zues will return and strike with great vengence for all you who spew your blasphemy.

And I challenge anyone to prove my God doesn't exist.

Jamesaust 10 years, 5 months ago

This letter is a joke, right? Ignorance in print?

KsTwister 10 years, 5 months ago

In case your wondering the misprint coins are selling on the internet for $200- $500.

Crossfire 10 years, 5 months ago

As a dyslexic atheist, I do not trust your dog.

JohnBrown 10 years, 5 months ago

The right-wing nuts have exposed themselves, along with Fox Noise Channel, for being ignorant of the facts: GWB runs the Mint, not all those secular athiests. But, Hate for Hate's sake is a great thing when God is on your side. This thread is another example of the Kansas Taliban on the warpath.

Calliope877 10 years, 5 months ago

I think some people just have WAY too much time on their hands.

Ragingbear 10 years, 5 months ago

~~Are they going to make us close our churches and pray in the dark corners of our basement, not to be seen or heard?"~~

Wow... That would be wonderful. Then maybe you guys will shut the hell up for a change.

ksmoderate 10 years, 5 months ago

Anyone ever read The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine? You know, the American Patriot?

R_T, Oba, Dambudzo, I'm glancing in your direction...

Interesting reading, given the topics on this table...

ksmoderate 10 years, 5 months ago

If the LTE writer is afraid of "godless coins," then she shouldn't spend them.

50YearResident 10 years, 5 months ago

This is an incorrect statement.

Show me "one" coin minted after 1870 that the edge has worn off from! Go look, there are none. Therefore the "In God We Trust" will always be visable on these coins.

gabbo 10 years, 5 months ago

Did they make any "In Dog We Trust" coins?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 10 years, 5 months ago

1. Students can still pray in school. They can't lead the whole class in prayer, because the whole class is not the same religion. If someone has told you otherwise, THEY LIED TO YOU.
  2. The Pledge of Alligiance is still said in school, but students of religions who don't allow the pledge, don't have to say it, and if someone doesn't want to say "under God" (added in the 1950's), they don't have to. If someone has told you otherwise, THEY HAVE LIED TO YOU.
  3. Didn't Jesus get a little upset with the merchants cluttering up the temple? I wonder how he'd feel about "In God We Trust" on money?

I grew up when we recited The Lord's Prayer and the National Anthem everyday in school for most of my elementary days. Reciting them everyday did not increase my believe in god or country. My patriotism comes from somewhere other than the anthem, as does my religion. And don't start telling me I'm not patriotic or religous enough, because you do not know me.

paladin 10 years, 5 months ago

Everyone, even the biggest and strongest and toughest among us, need someone to love. Someone to hug and to hug them. rt and Oba are so absolutely right for one another. They are so much alike, its almost as if they were the same person. They're such a cute couple. Dambudzo makes a threesome. It could work, but that would dangerously resemble a cult or an unnatural situation which could be viewed by some as perverse or sinful. But, they are so good together, that God surely blesses their union. In fact, I'm sure He does, because He told me He did when we last talked.

sourpuss 10 years, 5 months ago

If you put too much of your religion (or your patriotism) on your sleeve, you probably don't have enough in your heart.

Some people on here need to take a deep breath and go outside. Seriously.

ksmoderate 10 years, 5 months ago

75x55,

Will do. Who was/is Joseph Butler?

Ragingbear 10 years, 5 months ago

Agnostick, I don't have a problem with people practicing their own religion. I am just sick and tired of them trying to manipulate the people and the government to attempt to force people to observe and practice their religion. Prayer in school, this entire "In God we Trust" thing on money, the line about God in the Pledge of Alliegance and so on. Stop trying to force everyone to be a Christian, or you may just very well find yourself as a minority religion. Same goes for anyone else trying to force their religious ideals on any of us.

Confrontation 10 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like Dot has her Depends on too tight. Loosen it up! I'd absolutely looooove to see you and your church buddies in a basement. Of course, I would include a heavy lock on the outside of the door.

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

Oba and R_T, I think it's funny that you both still go on about how angry and hateful liberals are, yet each of your first posts here are just that. What's the word I'm looking for? Oh, yeah, hypocrit.

Actually, Ms. Beckner, you are not right that "In God we Trust" has ALWAYS been on money. It HAS NOT.

Around the civil war, it was added to the 2 cent coin. It was not added to paper money or "mandated" to be on all money until 1956-57, at the height of McCarthyism. The whole idea was, you could weed out the supposed Communists by seeing which people had an aversion to this. So really, this whole "In God We Trust" thing really did have little to do with God and more to do with politics. Just like it does today. So if you want to get down to it, "In God We Trust" has actually only been on money for 50 years, quite a BIT less time than not having it on our money. So I supposed, R_T, technically you may be right that this doesn't have to do with God. It has to do with whether or not you are (or were in 1957) on the "right" side of politics.

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

Oba, excuse me, but was that a jab? If so, apparently you can't read.

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

Oba, Are you calling me a communist? That's fine if you are, although innaccurate. I would much rather be referred to as a communist than a conservative.

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

How come no one is actually addressing what I've said? Is it because it goes against the idea some seem to be using to make their point that "In God We Trust" is a tradition? "In God We Trust" it is a relatively new addition to money based on the ravings of a man who used the government and senate hearings to blacklist artists, actors and politicians who disagreed with him.

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

In God We Trust: Officially adopted and added to all money in 1956-57.

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

Where did I say I was a Communist? Seriously, you can't read can you?

Marion, I did not say that this was during the McCarthy hearings, but at the height of McCarthyism...i.e. the cultural phenomenom stemming from these hearings.

Now back to you Oba.... Posted by Crispian (anonymous) on March 13, 2007 at 2:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Seriously, here it is again. Learn to read before you start bashing what I said. I said you were innacurate to insinuate I was a Communist, but I would much rather innacurately be referred to as a Communist than a Conservative.

Why don't you read before dashing off a patronizing and cursory post....?

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

Oh, I see Obamillary, you have nothing to say now that you realize you tried to insult me without actually reading what I wrote. Again, I ask you to re-read and tell me where I said I was a Communist. Here was my 2:37 post your referenced:

Posted by Crispian (anonymous) on March 13, 2007 at 2:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 10 years, 5 months ago

sourpuss, Great way putting the point I was trying to make. Can I quote you?

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

From: http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.html

Dates of when "In God We Trust" was added to paper money: DENOMINATION PRODUCTION DELIVERY $1 Federal Reserve Note February 12, 1964 March 11, 1964 $5 United States Note January 23, 1964 March 2, 1964 $5 Federal Reserve Note July 31, 1964 September 16, 1964 $10 Federal Reserve Note February 24, 1964 April 24, 1964 $20 Federal Reserve Note October 7, 1964 October 7, 1964 $50 Federal Reserve Note August 24, 1966 September 28, 1966 $100 Federal Reserve Note August 18, 1966 September 27, 1966

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

Oba, my 2:28 post also does NOT say I am a Communist. I really am beginning to doubt that you CAN read. First you said my 2:37 said that, now it's my 2:28? Are you sure you just don't wnat to call me a Communist.

That's pretty funny to try and turn this into an issue about my "emotional state".

No hysteria here. I just think you're pretty illiterate and also maybe like to insert your own presumptions into other's posts.

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

Posted by Obamillary (anonymous) on March 13, 2007 at 3:43 p.m. (Suggest removal)

We care about your stability and emotional state.

Wow, that patronizing manner sure will take you far.

beatrice 10 years, 5 months ago

"The meek shall inheret the earth."

I think the nut job far left wacked out liberal hippie freak who said that should be crucified.

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

Oba, you seriously are stupid. I will say this ONE MORE TIME, because you keep changing what it is exactly you are targeting me for..... You said I said I was a Communist and referenced my 2:37 post initially, then my 2:28 post. YOU SAID I SAID I was a Communist. Now you are saying I am saying I did not use the word. I DID use the word Communist, but did NOT say I WAS a Communist. You really are an idiot. If you want to bash me, read what I wrote and comment on that. Not on what you think you should read into what I am saying. Neither post shows me admitting to being a Communist.
Whose Bill? Did you maybe mean bull?

Here it is again:

Posted by Crispian (anonymous) on March 13, 2007 at 2:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Posted by Crispian (anonymous) on March 13, 2007 at 2:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

DO EITHER OF THESE HAVE ME SAYING I AM A COMMUNIST? NO.

DO ANY OF MY SUBSEQUENT POSTS DENY MENTIONING THE WORD? NO.

CAN OBAMILLARY COMPREHEND WHAT HE READS? NO.

New keyboard: $15 Coca cola that is getting me through this: $1 Proving to myself and any others that carefully read this that Obamillary haz zero reading comprehension: PRICELESS

Crispian Paul 10 years, 5 months ago

Posted by beatrice (anonymous) on March 13, 2007 at 4:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"The meek shall inheret the earth."

Terrific, Bea, terrific. Love it.

werekoala 10 years, 5 months ago

===== "I would like to know whose stupid idea it was to take "In God We Trust" off our new dollar coins. Yes, it is still on there, but why bother?"

Contradicting oneself within 2 sentences is a rare feat indeed.

==== " You can no longer see it unless one happens to look on the edge of the coin, which eventually wears off and becomes smooth. Then you won't be able to see it at all."

As opposed to the images on all previous coins, which have never worn off or shown signs of age in the past -- heck, if it's that worn, the coin needs to be taken out of circulation anyway.

I guess I'm just amazed that out of poverty, hunger, homelessness, mentally shattered veterans, a health care crisis, good old Dot decides that the biggest problem facing America today is the failure of the US Mint to produce hundreds of thousands of completely immaliable metal slugs for less than a dollar.

Oh, and for the record, "In God We Trust" wasn't added until the Civil War, and the new dollar coins actually have the letters of the phrase bigger than any previously-issued coin.

werekoala 10 years, 5 months ago

"Because some liberal is offended....
I say it's time we quit getting our rights taken away and be heard.... They have taken the Pledge of Allegiance and prayer out of our schools. What next? Are they going to make us close our churches and pray in the dark corners of our basement, not to be seen or heard?"

Look at this! 80% of the population feels persecuted by the other 20% -- it's ridiculous on the face of it, but certain religious and political leaders have made a great deal of hay convincing the insecure that they are in danger-- that there is some great evil force trying to attack them.

It's silly-- all there is is a mass movement to treat all people and faiths as equal under the law, and the historically-powerful majority resents giving up the privilidges it has long enjoyed, and being forced to include others as equals.

It's a movement that preys of fear, xenophobia, racisim, and gullibility, as quite capably evidenced by Dot. She's allowed demagauges to convince her that there are some very evil sinister forces out to attack her way of life -- nothing could be further from the truth.

It's sad, in a way. It's often commented that extremists, especially right-wingers of late, tend to construct imaginary persecution complexes, as a method of subconsciously reinforcing their beliefs. If you feel like you are constantly under attack, it makes you feel like your percieved enemies are really afraid of the truth you carry, and helps you buy into it more and more with little or no critical thinking required, because you're too busy fighting these imaginary battles. Case in point, Dot.

werekoala 10 years, 5 months ago

Crispian -

Some friendly advice?

Don't wrestle a pig; you both get dirty and the pig likes it.

And don't argue with an idiot; he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

paladin 10 years, 5 months ago

If Jesus Christ, Son of God, was to come back to the world today, walk the streets, gather crowds, and try to teach the things he taught, like loving your neighbor as yourself, the communal spirit of God, more blessed to give than to receive, the communal nature of the Christian family, all men (and women) are brothers (and sister's), the greatest rewards are not things of this earth, but of the sprit, get quiet, get humble, and go and sin no more, he probably would not be crucified but would likely be arrested, spend some time in county jail and end up in a treatment center, Osawatomie, or some other mental facility. Nobody who is anybody wants some dirty, scruffy, un-employed, shiftless, homeless, know-it-all do-gooder trying to tell him that his lifestyle is all fouled-up and he is mis-guided and believes in the wrong things. We have all worked too hard for that and have way too much invested in who we are, for good ar bad, right or wrong, for better or worse. Get the troublemaker off the street, shut him up, and lets get on with Life as we know it, have always known it, and, God willing, will keep on knowing it. Saviors be damned.

werekoala 10 years, 5 months ago

"Some day all people who are responsible for these changes will have to face the "one and only God." What will you have to say about your freedom of speech then? Because "my God" will have something to say to you."

Well, if the LORD God Jehovah Adonai wants me to face him regarding the changes, he doesn't have to wait. He could kill me right now, if he chose. Or failing that, I could answer him now:

"Oh God, creator of atoms and quarks, billions of stars to light the heavens, black holes, quasars, and the intricate dance of DNA. He who has designed the eye, the ear, the Krebs cycle, and the semi-permiable lipid barrier, as well as giant whales and microscopic plankton. He who maintains galaxies and planets untold, with shapes, structures, and life forms beyond all human imagination. He who knows each and every member of the human race who has ever lived and died. He who has a great great and personal love for us all, and has been with us throughout history, through pharoahs, kings, plagues, fires, comets, earthquakes, dynasties, and famines...

Sorry about leaving your name off of some coins on accident. And sorry about treating the Buddhists as equals, I'm sure you'd have rather us ripped their unborn babies from their mothers wombs as your people did to the Canaanites. And sorry about creating a nation where all people's dignities and rights were protected; we really should have only given those privilidges to the Christians.

I now know that despite the entire universe you have created and that glorifies you, all you really care about is keeping buttsex illegal and getting your name on the $$$. I guess I should have realized you're every bit as petty and vindictive as your fan club makes you out to be.

I guess I'll go burn in Hellfire with Ghandi and Schweitzer and the victims of the Holocaust.

My Bad,

Werekoala.

Tychoman 10 years, 5 months ago

Paladin, are you trying to make a point?

Porter 10 years, 5 months ago

"I now know that despite the entire universe you have created and that glorifies you, all you really care about is keeping buttsex illegal and getting your name on the $$$. "

That was my favorite line of the day, werekoala. Thanks for the laugh!

budwhysir 10 years, 5 months ago

I could comment but it I did, someone would be upset and someone would agree. Just another debate topic up for debate

paladin 10 years, 5 months ago

I'm almost afraid to say this, for fear of rancorous, vindictive, hysterical recompense and verbal attempts at requital, but I fear that Jesus Christ was a communist. He may well have been the original. He certainly was very far left and a liberal, as well. I certainly don't think that He would be welcome in the homes of many of you. Probably too radical and disruptive, disturbing. As well as appearing unkempt.

budwhysir 10 years, 5 months ago

RT, Politicaly speaking on my thoughts, I believe you are very correct in pointing out the hysteria. The other debatable fact is that of making change and peoples control over changes not to mention that the topic of this change turns on another view point.

Thanks for your political support

jonas 10 years, 5 months ago

Bwahahahahaha! Of all the threads to net over a 100 posts in a day, this one is priceless. Especially when both Ragingbear and 75X55 both pointed out how fallacious the whole thing is in the first place, early in the morning.

You guys make me laugh. Nimen bie wo xiao!

JSDAD 10 years, 5 months ago

Wow, 19 hours of debating and name calling over a simple mistake, better than t.v.

sourpuss 10 years, 5 months ago

dorothyhr: No problem at all ;) Sorry for the long delay

jonas 10 years, 5 months ago

"Posted by Tychoman (anonymous) on March 13, 2007 at 9:40 p.m. (Suggest removal)

This thread is another priceless example of how the LJWorld should eliminate the public forum, or at least restrict it so the general public can't see it without registering. I can't imagine how many people are being offended and get the wrong idea about Lawrence because of several moronic trolls who do nothing but make obscene personal attacks against one another ALL F'ing day."

must. . . maintain. . . straight. . . face. . . . . . . . .

prioress 10 years, 5 months ago

If the christian god is, as they say, omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent, she/he/it has nothing to worry about, let alone empty phrases on coins.

Tychoman 10 years, 5 months ago

ksmoderate 10 years, 5 months ago

R_T,

Your favorite boogeyman Jon Stewart just spent a lot of time on The Daily Show last night making fun of Democrats, so I guess that makes your 7:19am post a steamy pile of BS.

prioress 10 years, 5 months ago

Well, it's cheap; I'll grant you that.

staff04 10 years, 5 months ago

"He has to maintain some modicum of credibility..."

Hmmmm...

Why does he have to pick on both sides to be credible but FNC doesn't? And no, Alan Colmes doesn't count...

Godisdead 10 years, 5 months ago

Does it matter what is on the money? It all spends the same. I dont see how anyone is harmed by taking it off of the money anyway. Its only a symbol used for trade. It is not sacred or even important to religion. Get over it.

JSDAD 10 years, 5 months ago

Just checked back to see if ya"ll were still at it.

Yep!

Cool

jcantspell 10 years, 5 months ago

Nature created wars and made humans ignorant greedy and hard headed. To control the population or eradicate the parasite called man if need be!

Tychoman 10 years, 5 months ago

No I'm not advocating censorship. I believe that the message boards should be visible to just the registered users and not the general public who happen to read the LJWorld online.

Yes, I used the word trolls. Because that's what you all are. We're all guilty of it. We care nothing about the content of the articles and only about making vicious personal attacks against the other and deciding that you win when no one posts on the thread anymore, then you move on to another one. I don't know why my proposal was deleted, I can't think of any policy it violated. I stand by what I said. I formally request (AGAIN) that the LJWorld close the message boards to the general public and leave it open only for registered users due to the obscene, offensive content that is almost constantly left unpoliced on the Web site.

Tychoman 10 years, 5 months ago

Try reading what I write. If it's ony open to registered users (i.e. YOU and ME and the others), then the general public who comes to read the newspaper online won't have to see the obscene comments that you and other users post ceaselessly day in and day out.

Tychoman 10 years, 5 months ago

Try reading what I write. If it's only open to registered users (i.e. YOU and ME and the others), then the general public who comes to read the newspaper online won't have to see the obscene comments that you and other users post ceaselessly day in and day out.

drewdun 10 years, 5 months ago

This is possibly the dumbest LTE in the history of the LJW. Once again, when it suits them [always], wingnuts just make s*** up. Like this little gem...

"This nation was built under "One God," and as far as I know "In God We Trust" has always been on our currency. Why change it now? Because some liberal is offended"

Why even bother trying to teach history to a person with such little intelligence and such great incuriosity? Its pointless. Personal attacks on right-wing nuts is the way to go, if you ask me, because they sure as hell don't deal in facts, logic, or reality.

ksmoderate 10 years, 5 months ago

"I don't think 'far-left' or 'secular-progressive' is offensive." - R_T

HA!

But you use those terms in a derogatory manner all the time, buddy (just like O'Reilly...).

Those words were not offensive in their own right, but after you jumped on the O'Reilly Train with your vitriol, the offensiveness "factor" skyrocketed...thus contributing to the dumbing down of America.

ksmoderate 10 years, 5 months ago

Agno:

Don't forget "Traditionalist" as a self-righteous term used by O'Reilly and others...although I can't help but snicker every time I think of O'Reilly as a "traditionalist"...evidently it's traditional to commit sexual harrassment? Hee hee!

Whatever makes them feel justified within, I suppose.

Tychoman 10 years, 5 months ago

RT you're such a two-faced liar. You bring out the hurt card when you're successfully called out on the BS you continually post on these boards.

I don't care where they put the message boards. Just as long as I delete my account in the near future, I won't have to see the comments below the article. They should be closed to the general public due to their obscenity and the moderators' lack of substantial moderation.

Bill Chapman 10 years, 5 months ago

I just love it! One simple little mistake at the US mint turns into a raging argument about "GOD". This little argument only serves one purpose - to prove to ANYONE reading it just how close - minded people are about "GOD". "GOD" is whatever, whoever, anything, etc. the speaker wishes to mean. I prefer the Flying Spaghetti Monster myself.