Archive for Tuesday, June 26, 2007

People in the news

June 26, 2007


Rosie says time not 'Right' to replace Bob Barker

New York - Rosie O'Donnell says she's out of the running to replace Bob Barker as host of "The Price Is Right."

O'Donnell, a superfan of the CBS game show, said on her blog Friday that she had a "nice lunch" with the show's producers.

Barker, 83, retired earlier this month after 35 years with the show, which is filmed in Los Angeles.

Although O'Donnell has said she would love to fill Barker's shoes, the 45-year-old comedian has changed her mind.

"Well, here's the thing: I don't really need a job," O'Donnell says in a video posted Sunday on her Web site. "I'm in a weird position. I don't need the money.

"So to get my entire family uprooted from their lives and move them across the country so that I can have a fantasy childhood indulgence, you know, job : it just doesn't seem fair."

O'Donnell lives in Nyack, N.Y., near New York City, with her partner, Kelli, and their four children.

Pro wrestler Chris Benoit, wife and son found dead

Fayetteville, Ga. - WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and son were found dead Monday, and police said they were investigating the case as a homicide.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department said the three were found about 2:30 p.m. at their home but refused to release details.

Pope said results of autopsies on Benoit, his wife Nancy and 7-year-old son Daniel were expected today.

Benoit, 40, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

Sizemore gets 16 months for violating probation

Los Angeles - Tom Sizemore was sentenced Monday to 16 months in state prison by a judge who ruled the alleged discovery of methamphetamine in the actor's car had violated his probation in a previous drug case.

Sizemore "has been in every program, and here he is again," Superior Court Judge Cynthia Rayvis said.

He "abused the privilege of probation" and "needs to be in a lockdown setting," the judge said.

Rayvis recommended Sizemore be sent to the R.J. Donovan Correctional Facility in San Diego County because of its noteworthy drug treatment program.

Sizemore, whose screen credits include "Saving Private Ryan" and "Black Hawk Down," didn't speak during the hearing. He wore orange jail clothing.

Sizemore was convicted in 2003 of domestic violence involving his ex-girlfriend, former Hollywood madam Heidi Fleiss. Authorities arrested the 45-year-old actor May 8 in Bakersfield.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.