Archive for Sunday, June 10, 2007

Back of the line

June 10, 2007


To the editor:

The illegal aliens who are students in Kansas colleges qualify for in-state tuition which out-of-state native born students do not. There is a federal law which states that no noncitizen shall qualify for benefits which citizens do not. This would certainly apply here.

I paid out-of-state tuition for two of my sons to attend Kansas University because at that time our family lived four miles over the border in another state. My family has been in Kansas since the 1800s. My husband and I were both born in Kansas, as was my oldest son. I and many members of my family are KU alumni. I would think that would make a difference, but it doesn't.

In a discussion with a local legislator on this matter, he told me all my sons needed to do was go to school at KU for one year and they would qualify for in-state tuition. I don't know who told him that, but it is not true.

The only place these illegal people belong is at the end of a very long line of people who are waiting their turn to enter legally.

CE Westphal,



KS 10 years, 8 months ago

CE, you have my vote. Fair is fair. Make no mistake, the politicians are trying to win votes from the illegals so they will help keep them in power. It's not a question of what is good for our country anymoe. Congress has a lower approval rating than Bush. As far as qualifying for in-state tuition after a year at KU, you better check that one out. I have personally seen that attempt before and the student was denied. This person even dropped out for a year, worked, paid taxes and had legal voting status in the state and was still denied in-state tuition. Power and money for KU.

Bruce Bertsch 10 years, 8 months ago

Step back and look at a bigger picture. By allowing the children of illegals who live in the state the ability to attend state universities at the in state rate with many hoops to jump through, they have an opportunity to improve the human capital of Kansas. These children are ineligible for government subsidized student loans, grants, or scholarships. At the end of the day, would you rather have these young adults in college on the path to citizenship, or in deadend jobs not contributing to society? If you want to receive instate tuition, live in Kansas.

Richard Heckler 10 years, 8 months ago

Reagan/Bush opened the barn door and created this financial/political disaster so can't really blame the immigrants. It all began in Washington,D.C. so anti american corporate america could have slave labor and bust the unions. Fire 99% of all elected officials.

Jamesaust 10 years, 8 months ago

In case the author hasn't heard, we've already been down that route.

That publicity hound and failed GOP Congressional candidate, Kris Kobach, tried that line in Day v. Sebelius. His case was dismissed.

"There is a federal law which states that no noncitizen shall qualify for benefits which citizens do not."

Besides the fact that this comment is ungrammatical (and barely decipherable), the federal law (which is probably unconstitutional anyway) prohibits favoring aliens for benefits over U.S. citizens. Unfortunately, the are no U.S. citizens who are not also "citizens" of Kansas who have any enforceable "right" to even attend Kansas colleges let alone gain "in state" tuition. As such, none have been discriminated against and therefore the federal prohibition is not triggered.

In other words, if KU wants to offer a scholarship to a non-U.S. citizen to, say, play basketball, KU does not have to offer a similar scholarship to anyone and their dog who happen to be U.S. citizens - nor would anyone want them to.

Kansas offers "in state" tuition to those who attend Kansas high schools for years and have graduated from them. I'm uncertain who this mystery person would be who meet the same criteria but is denied "in state" tuition. If you can find them, contact Kris Kobach so he can finally file a lawsuit that will survive!

Sorry, but I'll worry about paying for the tuition of the children of Missouri when they start providing "in state" tuition for Kansans at Mizzou. For now, I'll stick to people who have lived, do live, and will continue to live in Kansas.

greengoblin 10 years, 8 months ago

Ding!!!!!! I'm ready to find Kris Kobach. KU has been known to yank people around on this issue for years. The rule to get in-state tuition at any college is that you live in that state for one year prior to your enrollment date, years are not necessary. I don't believe someone living in Missouri should be considered in-state, but I graduated from an accredited Kansas High School, worked and paid taxes in Kansas, and was still considered a non-resident. Six thousand a semester (it's surely a lot higher now) is too much for someone with no parents helping to pay the bills. Thanks for nothing KU.

Jamesaust 10 years, 8 months ago

"but I graduated from an accredited Kansas High School, worked and paid taxes in Kansas, and was still considered a non-resident."

I believe the standard here is - attending a Kansas high school wherever you're living for the last three years before graduation, graduated from a Kansas high school, and immediately admitted to a Kansas college.

Someone, I'm guessing you don't quite hit all those notes. But here you go. I believe this is still Kris' number: (913) 385-7344.

(I suppose I should note that I don't approve of in/out state tuition at all. But abolishment of such a distinction still would not create discrimination against a U.S. citizen, which is what the federal statute requires to be relevant.)

greengoblin 10 years, 8 months ago

Actually, I hit all those notes except the first one, and I know for a fact the requirement is that you must live in a state for only ONE YEAR prior to enrolling in college. There are other details here that KU held against me, but I won't mention them here because they are personal and never should have been held against me in the first place. I'll save those details for your little buddy.

None of this matters anymore though because I'm now at the top research university in the country, and guess what...I lived here for one year before I was considered a resident.

Wilbur_Nether 10 years, 8 months ago

When an undergraduate at KU, I had two roommates from out-of-State. Each attended here for one year, then petitioned to have their status changed to "resident." Each petition was granted. I don't know the specifics of what hoops they had to jump through to achieve that, but it is possible.

Oracle_of_Rhode 10 years, 8 months ago

There are no such thing as "illegal people." We are all God's children. Your hoped-for vision of endless lines for uneducated people without rights comes from a dark place in your soul, which you need to examine carefully.

Jamesaust 10 years, 8 months ago

"None of this matters anymore though because I'm now at the top research university in the country...."


But you're incorrect about the three years business. I looked it up to be sure. You're confusing that route for "in state" tuition with the one you tried. Arguably, the "alien" route is harder: (a) its three times as long, and (b) can't be changed - there's no "do over" in where you went to high school.

Besides, denying aliens "in state" tuition doesn't get you "in state" tuition, which is a prerequisite of the "law" the letter's author cited. (For example, if "aliens" with no ties to the State could get in after six months while you have to wait for twelve. Even then, its likely to be unconstitutional anyway: (a) where do the Feds get power over State high ed policies?, and (b) why don't the Feds just exercise their jurisdiction over immigration instead of shoehorning their nose into matters that aren't their concern? Newsflash: the States are "slaves" to the federal government. The Feds can enforce their own laws on their own dime and their own time. Topeka doesn't foot their bills.)

Commenting has been disabled for this item.