Archive for Tuesday, July 24, 2007

New plan for Wal-Mart advances

July 24, 2007

Hear David Smith, a local opponent to the Wal-Mart plans, speak about the project.

Hear Wal-Mart spokeswoman Angie Stoner talk about the proposed Wal-Mart project.

Commissioners move closer to approving second Wal-Mart store

The city inches closer to approving Lawrence's second Wal-Mart store. Enlarge video

It is not about Wal-Mart.

That was the message the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission delivered Monday night as it unanimously agreed to recommend that the City Commission approve plans for a new Wal-Mart and four other retail buildings on the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive.

Commissioners heard about an hour's worth of public comment - largely against the project - but were not swayed by it because much of it focused on whether Wal-Mart was a quality retailer. Planning commissioners said their role was to determine land use issues, not whether the community needs a specific retailer in town.

"Nobody is forced to buy there and no one is forced to work there," Planning Commissioner Tom Jennings said. "We act like it is going to be indentured servitude out there. If no one wants to go into the front door or the back door, it won't be there long."

The issue now goes to city commissioners, who are expected to discuss the project at their Aug. 7 meeting.

Fitting development plan

On Monday night, members of the public brought up concerns ranging from Wal-Mart's employee health benefits and wages to the effect another Wal-Mart would have on the city's character. Others also said approving the Wal-Mart project would cause other businesses to go out of business because the city is already overbuilt from a retail standpoint.

"This should be about whether this is a good idea and whether it is responsible for the community to go forward with it," said David Smith, a member of Grassroots Action, a local organization that promotes sustainability and progressive politics.

But in supporting the project, several planning commissioners pointed to something more concrete: The city's comprehensive plan, which lists the corner as being appropriate for retail development.

"What it comes down to me is that this project is in compliance with what the City Commission has determined to be the long-range plan for this section of town," said Planning Commissioner Richard Hird.

Traffic concerns

Traffic issues had been a major concern of many residents who live near the proposed site. But engineers for the city presented the Planning Commission with a new traffic model that they developed in conjunction with the Kansas Department of Transportation.

The new model, the engineers said, uses more accurate projections for the amount of retail space that will be developed along the Sixth Street corridor. The new model shows far less congestion than a previous draft model from KDOT had shown.

"We feel pretty confident that the Sixth Street corridor can handle the committed projects," Chuck Soules, the city's director of public works, said in reference to the Wal-Mart store and other already-approved development.

Some neighbors weren't necessarily convinced. Alan Cowles, a west Lawrence resident who has been a longtime opponent of the project, said many neighbors still had traffic concerns despite the new model. But neighbors did put up a less vigorous fight this time around.

"I won't repeat all of the concerns that we have," Cowles told planning commissioners. "It will take less time this way."

8-0 recommendation

The unanimous vote by the Planning Commission is in stark contrast to previous efforts by developers to get the Wal-Mart project approved. The development has been one of the more contentious projects at City Hall for the past five years.

The project sparked a lawsuit by developers, who contend the city illegally denied a building permit for the project. But the lawsuit was put on hold shortly after the April City Commission elections.

Following the elections, only one of the three city commissioners who had opposed the project remained in office. The new City Commission asked the developers to put the lawsuit on hold and submit new plans for the development.

The makeup of the Planning Commission, whose members are appointed by the City Commission and County Commission, also is significantly different. The 10-member Planning Commission - which split on the project 5-5 in August - has four new members since it last considered the project. On Monday, commissioners gave it a positive recommendation on an 8-0 vote. Commissioners Dennis Lawson and Lisa Harris were absent.

The preliminary development plan recommended by planning commissioners Monday would allow for a 99,840-square-foot Wal-Mart store and four smaller buildings that will add another 21,500 square feet of retail space. Tenants for those four buildings haven't been identified.

Developers for the project were pleased with Monday night's action, and said they're looking forward to going before the City Commission.

"This will bring alternatives," said Bill Newsome, who owns the property with Lawrence businessman Doug Compton. "It gives the people of Lawrence more choice in their shopping opportunities, and that is what it is all about."

Comments

coneflower 7 years, 1 month ago

Since Lawrence already has a Wal-Mart, how is this true?

In truth, the city just rejected an opportunity to add a store that would offer another choice, and possibly attract business from out of town. What a lousy use of a potentially good location!

Dayna Lee 7 years, 1 month ago

If you know Lawrence at all, you know the people from this neighborhood do not go "all the way" to Walmart when they need something. Opening another store in this part of town will open a whole new door as far as prices and convience go. I know my mom has waited years for a "Walmart" to come to this side of town and I am excited to see if it makes it. I think it's crazy to put another grocery store on 6th, but if they want to try, I miss the soda wars this town used to have. Bring it on!

Linda Endicott 7 years, 1 month ago

Uh, you might want to check your facts a little better, r4hawks...

I don't know about Target, but...Last Christmas, Wal-Mart employees were prohibited from saying "Merry Christmas" to anyone. I even had employees tell me they were sorry they had to respond to my "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays".

Michael Capra 7 years, 1 month ago

the fruit cakes are off the planning commision and now we can do what is right for lawrence and stop saying wecome to lawrence kansas the answer is no

LogicMan 7 years, 1 month ago

Too bad it won't include a Sam's Club. Just spent almost $300 there yesterday -- so Lenexa and Topeka will continue to get all that tax revenue from folk like me (and Costco, BJs, etc. shoppers).

But otherwise, it's good news that a plan has finally been approved at this stage. Build it, and they will come!

bluerose 7 years, 1 month ago

the ugliest thing (besides having another live Walmart in the environment) is going to be when the store folds, because it does not make the profits it wants, and it won't (IMHO), and the blight of an abandoned and decrepit dead former Walmart store lurks on that corner for eternity. from what i understand, if they leave a store, they will not lease or re-use the building, it just SITS.

ugh. gateway to Lawrence, Anywhere, USA

average 7 years, 1 month ago

The point is not that two stores will be profitable. The South Iowa one won't be. They want their main outlet to be away from Target. They find that a lot of Lawrence, if the drive is the same distance, prefer to shop at Target. Open cashiers, unclogged aisles, etc. But, they figure that if they move out west, they are at least 5 minutes closer for a third of the city, so that portion of the city will shop there no matter how bad the service gets.

Baille 7 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, Newsome is all about increasing people's "choice in their shopping opportunities." Looks like the pro-cancer people have managed to buy the votes on the Planning Commission in addition to placing their puppets, Dever and Chestnut, on the City Commission.

The uniqueness of Lawrence is going to wither and die under the homogenized crap of Compton, Newsome, and import-your-stupid-crap-from-China Wal-Mart. Woo hoo!

Dixie Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

yes i do not live in lawrence but am thrilled that you all are getting another wally world, means i dont have to drive clear across town NOW if they would build a groc store in north lawrence i would have it made....off the beaten path some what but how on earth does sears stay in business??

otto 7 years, 1 month ago

In regards to old Wal - Mart buildings - Sears is in one at 27th and Iowa. I don't care if they build a new one or not. But it will not close due to lack of sales.

monkeyhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

"It was a slam dunk, bought and paid for."

To follow the boozo's line of thinking, the opponents should be grateful for even more low prices since they obviously do not have the wherewithal to finance their own results.

Suck it up.

7 years, 1 month ago

an IKEA or H&M would be a real regional draw

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

monkeyhawk-- you're right-- we'll all need to keep buying at the company store, especially with the tax increases required to finance all the corporate welfare.

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 1 month ago

I am ready to shop at the new Wal Mart!

monkeyhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Seems to me that the tax increases are directed at:

swimming pools M-T er city employee wage increase homeless shelter school counselors criminal release programs etc.........

The list goes on, but I have not seen that the CC wants more money for WalMart. However, I have seen where my tax money goes for downtown sprinklers in privately owned buildings, flowers, advertising and tax breaks for tiny improvements in that "blighted" area. That must be what you are referring to when you speak of corporate welfare.

leadrain 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm just glad they've finally decided because I'm nearly physically sick of hearing about it. With the old centers for education grinding to a halt ( semi-recent school closings ) I'd figure people would care more about their child's schooling more than saving $0.75 on toilet paper. To all penny-pinchers- At least the closings will AFFORD us a fresh supply of greeters, cashiers, and fumble-fingered associates. And the new minimum wage will make them all complacent, satisfied, and swimming in cheap perfume.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

Your willful ignorance is truly amazing, monkeyhawk.

inatux 7 years, 1 month ago

spywell (Anonymous) says: "When Lawrence hits 350,000, then well need another Wal-mart ..."

Your argument isn't valid.

My old stomping ground was a city with a population of 45,000. It had three Wal-Marts.

inatux 7 years, 1 month ago

Quite a few, actually, including a decent-size mall.

gccs14r 7 years, 1 month ago

Wal-Mart is a department store, so by definition isn't an allowed tenant at 6th and Wakarusa. All the new planning commission did was allow a violation of the permitted land use at that site, but with the developer puppets in charge, that's no surprise. Welcome to West Olathe, home of an endless sea of chain stores interspersed with slapped-together cookie-cutter housing. The streets will still suck, too.

This is going to be an expensive four years.

Mackadoo 7 years, 1 month ago

From the story: Planning Commissioner Tom Jennings said, "If no one wants to go into the front door or the back door, it won't be there long."

Wrong, Tom. If the new Walmart closes down, the building still sits there, an empty eyesore waiting for some other mega box retailer to be stupid enough to try to place a store in a TOWN THAT ALREADY HAS ONE.

Dale Stringer 7 years, 1 month ago

Does Lecompton/Perry have a WalMart?

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 1 month ago

Ahhhh, a WalMart story. Now inevitably comes the same 7 people saying the same things they say everytime there is a WalMart story. Give it up. There will be another WalMart and I am guessing it will have no severe effects on our town and then you will have to find something brand new to complain about...although I suspect that it will not be brand new as all you do is regurgitate propagandist crap you have ingested from other sources. A little research will show you that many cities comparable to Lawrence in size and location (plains/midwest) have multiple WalMarts and last I had heard these towns had not turned into wastelands of empty buildings, blighted storefronts, and prostitutes. So please, keep your doom and gloom where it belongs...in religion.

bluerose 7 years, 1 month ago

"You've bought into an urban legend simply because you don't like the success Wal-Mart represents. So sad."

your are right, pilgrim. if success = corporate world domination and minimizing choices by making american sheep think they are getting "the best deal", you are darn right. i don't like it.

urban legend or not, i have read about Walmart policy and travelling through many states, i have seen those abandoned Walmarts. they are ugly. and if they are being leased, it can't last forever.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 1 month ago

"if success = corporate world domination and minimizing choices by making american sheep think they are getting "the best deal","

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 1 month ago

"Funny, I haven't heard anyone mention prostitutes OR wastelands. You sound a bit silly criticizing other people's "doom and gloom" when YOU are, in fact, the one that introduced the hyperbole into the discussion."

Its called sarcasm. I only introduced it by using your own tactics of fear-mongering and outright exxageration. Look at your very next paragraph, using words like ruthless and control. Hyperbole was introduced into this discussion LONG before I decided to have some fun with it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

If your only concern in the world is so narrow as cheap undies, yeti, then I'm pleased for you that you have such a zen-like simplistic existence.

But since when do yetis wear underwear? (or have money, for that matter?)

bluerose 7 years, 1 month ago

"Lets say I go into WalMart to get a pack of Hanes underoos. If I pay less for those underoos than I would at Target or any other store, how is it exactly that I have been "duped" into thinking I got the best deal instead of actually just getting the best deal?"

because in the long run, Yeti, once the competition is gone, the only retailer left may set prices as they wish and you will have no choice other than to eliminate Hanes from your wardrobe, or pay what they ask. sure. you have had a temporary "good deal" and unfortunately, to most americans, that is all that matters.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 1 month ago

Those who have ears to hear, WalMart will bring with them the four horseman of the apocalypse: Pestilence, War, Famine, and Kathie Lee Gifford. Everyone RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

Dayna38 Actually the people who live in NW Lawrence shop at Target! So we do shop that far away from home. What - 6 to 7 minutes away. Why that is just to far. We shop at Pennys and gee we go to the movies. Perhaps instead of a Wal-Mart another movie theater so we lasy people in NW lawrence won't have to go out of our way a few minute.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 1 month ago

"because in the long run, Yeti, once the competition is gone, the only retailer left may set prices as they wish and you will have no choice other than to eliminate Hanes from your wardrobe, or pay what they ask."

So your argument is that WalMart will be the only store in town at some point. I think I saw that in a movie called Demolition Man except it was Taco Bell. Seriously, our capitalistic system can be pretty circular sometimes and I have severe doubts whether your "doomsday" prognosis could ever be reality. I guess thats where we differ...We will just have wait and see, wont we?

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 1 month ago

"Perhaps "ruthless" would qualify as hyperbole, but I would think that suing a city over being allowed to build a SECOND big box store is pretty fitting of the definition."

Wrong, wrong,wrong. They sued the city because we gave them parameters and guidelines to adhere to in order to build their store and then once they had met those standards we went back on our word and told them they couldn't build. The City of Lawrence was in the wrong and any company we did that to would have sued.

Dale Stringer 7 years, 1 month ago

I think WalMart should build the 6th St store, put another one up on east side of town and turn the old one on the south side into a Sam's Club.

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

Once again; Wal-Mart broke the rules and the city rightly did not give a building permit becuase they are a department store and no department store was allowed. Wal-Mart has managed to break the rules or bend them everytime.

Justanopinion 7 years, 1 month ago

I wonder, for those of you who are against this, does it bother you most that there will be another more accesible lower priced department store for those people who it is hard to get to the other side of town or is it that it is on a side of town that is expanding with the newer houses and it will, in your opinion, lower the value of this area?

Voiced my opinion, I am done now. Thanks

sourpuss 7 years, 1 month ago

I would rather the Wal-Mart not go in, but actually, I don't really care because I never go to that intersection and I rarely ever go west of Iowa Street. West Lawrence may as well be Olathe for as often as I venture there, and when I do it is often just the HyVee on 6th.

Whether there is another W.M. or not will have no effect on me. I don't work there, I don't shop there, and I won't change my habits with a second one. Lawrence has uninteresting retail options. I agree, an H&M or Ikea would be great, but Lawrence isn't big enough for them (though they would both be incredible draws, especially the Ikea!). But honestly people, it doesn't matter. If one of the stores closes, the building will either get sold or the land will get sold and the building torn down. But it doesn't matter. If you don't like WM, don't shop there. That is the best way to use your voice - with your dollars. Oh, and go out and vote for local elections. Local politicians affect your life far more than the President does.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 1 month ago

WWoftheW-

Wow...shocking you're wrong too....amazing. You say that WalMart broke the rules but according to this article form the LJW on August 1st, 2003: "The city of Lawrence failed to follow its own rules when it withheld building permits for a Wal-Mart store and restaurant at Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive, a judge ruled Thursday. "There has been no lawful or reasonable explanation given as to why the procedure set forth in (city codes) was not followed," Malone wrote.

bluerose 7 years, 1 month ago

"does it bother you most that there will be another more accesible lower priced department store for those people who it is hard to get to the other side of town"

i'm cracking up here. do you honestly think the people in west lawrence have any difficulty getting anywhere?? do you honestly think the people in north or east lawrence are going to find it that much easier to get to this grand new Walmart than the south Walmart? especially if the T quits running ... and gas prices increase? think!

massst 7 years, 1 month ago

Dude bring something new to this town

Baille 7 years, 1 month ago

I wouldn't step into Wal-Mart if I was having plastic-crap withdrawal seizures.

Whether our government has acted correctly or wisely remains open to debate, but every dollar spent at Wal-Mart hurts our community.

EXks 7 years, 1 month ago

What this town needs is a Costco store! How about tearing down City Hall and building one there???

bangaranggerg 7 years, 1 month ago

The displayed a new model of the traffic being less congested on sixth street because they figure the volume of cars can just take short cuts down harvard through people's neighborhoods.

penguin 7 years, 1 month ago

I am not saying I am in favor of Wal-Mart or against it....this is just more of an FYI.

When the Hays Wal-Mart moved to its new location it became a mix of closed and open. 1/3 of the old building is Hastings, 1/3 is Ace Hardware and the other 1/3 is empty (and has been for a long time). I just assume the rent makes that 1/3 empty b/c of the individual that owns the building now.

However, if you ever want to check out a really schizophrenic (sp?) development plan....look to Hays. They want a downtown like Lawrence with unique businesses (including the sky-high rents) and continue to bring in the Big Box stores. So this development plan is not all that new to me, but at least it is taking place in a town larger than 30,000 people (and even if you consider the draw from rural western Kansas I am sure Lawrence would still have it beat).

Dale Stringer 7 years, 1 month ago

Did the grocery section at the new WM get approved? I like having the WM, but I don't think they need the food there.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 1 month ago

Those that applaud a new Wal-Mart make me sick. If you want development like this, there are plenty of places to live other than Lawrence.

I live in Lawrence b/c it has character and it's progressive but it's been infiltrated by cheap-skates who have no clue what quality life is and the importance of supporting local businesses.

You f##king people prefer your cookie-cutter houses and your cookie-cutter retail stores and you've been dumbed down by greedy corporations.

Congratulations and I hope you enjoy your $5 tee-shirt made by Chinese slave labor!

average 7 years, 1 month ago

The "draw from the area" line is ridiculous. Ignoring the bridge closure, the Iowa Street Wal-Mart is closer (by minutes on the road) for Lecompton and the North Topeka Wal-Mart is slightly closer to Perry. A Wal-Mart at 6th and Waky will cut approximately 4 minutes off the trip (19 minutes to 14 minutes... maybe longer if they keep adding stoplights to West Sixth). Thus, Perry is now a little closer to the Lawrence.

If the advantage to this location was to draw in Perry shoppers, why aren't they building one in Perry?

And, stores do end up as empty shells. Pratt, Ark City, Iola, Wellington, Fort Scott, Olathe (I-35 and 119th). Think it can't happen here? Witness Food-4-Less.

dirkleisure 7 years, 1 month ago

Meanwhile, thousands of local residents will continue to leave town to do their shopping.

If the goal is to increase shopping opportunities, doubling up on Wal Marts is not the answer.

That's like saying we need more dining opportunities, but we only want to build McDonalds.

Stew 7 years, 1 month ago

It is true that people can choose to shop there or not. But why put the temptation there in the first place? But maybe that is it, Wal-mart is a temptation from God (through the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission) and all those who support Wal-mart are going to hell. Seriously, this issue is really about principles. The principle of supporting the type of business Wal-mart conducts (i.e., business conduct that makes a throw-away society). The question then becomes does Lawrence want to be unique and creative and not contribute to such a society or does Lawrence want to continue playing the game of follow the leader? And the answer to this question does not fall solely on the shoppers but also on those who allow the temptation to be put in place.

Jeanne Cunningham 7 years, 1 month ago

As Dayna38 says, I AM excited for a "Walmart" on this side of town (north/west). There used to be a couple of stores over here - Hobby Lobby was and "back in the day" there was some store at Hillcrest (which I've even forgotten the name of, now) - and there is Walgreen's and Westlake's for some things, but Westlake's prices are often outrageous! But, try to buy a pair of socks or a bath towel or even a T-shirt. You have to drive clear from one end of town to the other - IF you have a car! and, even riding the T takes a half an hour!

And, also as she says, I think the competition is good! But, that doesn't mean that I don't think that consumers also need to be smart and NOT accept junk, just because it's cheaper. Sometimes paying a higher price for something durable will save in the long run (certainly not a new idea). But, for many disposable items, low cost is often the deciding factor (including the cost of transportation to/from to obtain it).

I've seen it here before, and I agreed then and still agree - that IF Walmart believes they can make a profit here, I believe they can. They have people whose job it is to do ONLY that, so I figure they are more than likely correct.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 1 month ago

Has anyone ever seen Compton or Newsome at the existing Wal-Mart? Does anyone thing that either of these guys will shop at the new Wal-Mart? People who can afford not to shop at Wal-Mart don't shop at Wal-Mart.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 1 month ago

Hey Bill, I can't wait to see all the great, unique and quality products that the new Wal-Mart will carry that the old one does not. It's so exciting.

All told, who cares if W-Mart moves to 6th. If the people of Lawrence support two Walmarts, then fine. Personally, I don't shop there (or rarely at least) because their products are low quality, their packaged food is not really a savings over other grocery stores and I don't think their tasteless produce ever saw a vine as they ripened.

Matt Toplikar 7 years, 1 month ago

Grassroots Action completed a phone poll last Thursday. In all, it asked 205 people (from randomly generated lists of registered voters in the city's 49 precincts) whether they favor or oppose building a Wal-Mart at 6th & Wakarusa. Of all the respondents,

53.2% said No 26.8% said Yes
20% had No Opinion

For those of you who wonder why all the "crazy hippies" hate Wal-Mart, you should come see WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price @ Liberty Hall on August 6th. It goes into depth about Wal-Mart's, shall we say, questionable business practices and how this corporate giant consistently hurts the local economy of small towns. If you can't make it, do a little research before you decide if this is what you want for your town. Believe me, it won't take much digging, the facts about Wally World are readily available all over the internet and there have been many books on the subject, as well as a PBS Frontline news piece. All I'm sayin' is that if you want to shoot yourself in the foot that's fine, just, ya know, maybe look into whether or not that's the healthiest decision before you pull the trigger.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 1 month ago

That's really funny...that wasn't what anyone said at all when it came to the smoking ban...

As for those two old Wal-Mart buildings in Ottawa, Pilgrim...

Wal-Mart has a habit of keeping ownership of their old buildings...so they can control what kind of businesses go into them afterward. In the case of the first old WM here, it now houses an Orschelin's...which is mainly lots and lots of tools, plumbing supplies, farm supplies...stuff that WM doesn't carry, and never has...so they're no competition for WM...

Although the first WM building here wasn't originally a WM anyway...it at one time housed a Pamida on one side, and a grocery store on the other. So WM didn't build it to begin with.

The other empty store remained empty for quite some time. They split the old building up into three sections. You see, they didn't want another business moving in, like Target, that was big enough they'd need the whole building.

The first one to move in was Dollar General, the second one in Ottawa. Kudos to this company, as the other store they have here is also located in a building that another business left behind, so at least they're using the old buildings.

Dollar General was the only tenant for a long, long time. We now also have Goody's and Goodwill there...again, two businesses that are no competition for WM...Goody's because their merchandise is more expensive, always has been, and the people who shop there probably never go to WM anyway...same thing with Goodwill, just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Although I can't say that WM is the only company that has this practice of building a new store and leaving the old one to rot...Pizza Hut and KFC have done the very same thing here...

geppetto 7 years, 1 month ago

I think people should stop complaining about wal-mart. If you don't like it, then don't ever go shopping there. I dislike wal-mart and I don't buy anything there. If you dislike the city commission then call for re-elections.

Sharon Nottingham 7 years, 1 month ago

View the link above to get an idea of how much tax payers have coughed up in Olathe due to increase in crime rate at Walmart stores. "Since 2002, 254 police calls have been made from the Wal-Mart store at 13600 S. Alden St., Olathe, KS" costing tax payers an estimated $19,685 (this based on 2002-2005 study). I wonder how much we pay in taxes for our current Lawrence Walmart?

Additionally, is it really a good idea to pose more traffic risk to those teens who drive to Free State high school? Let's also look at traffic congestion that obviously will play a factor. The website below illustrates some facts from other parts of the country. http://momandpopnyc.blogspot.com/2005/07/traffic-mart.html

Another question: who will be paying for any road improvements that are made to accommodate Walmart?

It's also getting to the point that neighborhoods are no longer neighborhoods. Backyards are going to be filled with views of "big box" stores and nothing but parking lots.

Read more on Walmart and its impact on communities: http://www.wakeupwalmart.com

I am against any Big Box getting developed on 6th, not just Walmart.

justthefacts 7 years, 1 month ago

The (after a $250,000 consultant expense) plan for future neighborhoods proposed during the last city commission's term of office called for neighborhoods that contained one of every kind of service provider usually needed, so people could walk/ride bikes to the local pub, store, dry-cleaners etc. It's the latest "craze" being touted by "greenies" because it encourages a return to the good old days when people hung out (and spent their money) close (real close) to their homes. So any time a store of some kind goes directly into a neighborhood, doesn't it mean that plan or "dream" is coming true? Or is it only SMALL locally owned stores that we should admit or allow? I didn't see the actual plans proposed. Just the concept.

Yetispeaks;

Wal-Mart is not a department store, no matter what they call themselves today or the SEC would have Wal-Mart behind bars for lying in their annual report as the largest department store in the world.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 1 month ago

geppetto,

It's not just a matter of shopping there if you don't like it. It's a matter of keeping the character of the town.

And good luck convincing people to shop elsewhere...lots of cheap-skates out there willing to save a buck on cheap goods.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

" it really is the Merc that is causing damp basements in old crapped out houses with crappy limestone foundations and no gutters on houses"

Yea, all those houses in the middle of Centenniel Park are really overloaded with the Merc runoff.

Jamesaust 7 years, 1 month ago

"...but were not swayed by it because much of it focused on whether Wal-Mart was a quality retailer."

Pretty much says it all, doesn't it? Someone people can't get it through their heads that they do not get to make decisions for other (more feeble-mind?) people. If you've got an issue with how the land is developed, let's hear it. Otherwise, quit yapping because its none of your business.

chuchurocka 7 years, 1 month ago

woo hoo, another wal mart. seems like we're getting closer to becoming another Topeka every year.

Kat Christian 7 years, 1 month ago

The way I see it is some who have money who are opposed to the new Walmart are too snobby to shop there because they can afford to shop where prices are higher. Then you have those who have money, and are too tight with it who will shop at Walmart, but don't really care if it gets built. Then you have those who are just scrimping by who shop at Walmart to save money and find a value so they can spend more on things they need to be of higher quality. Then you have those who are struggling that have no choice but to shop at Walmart to find the cheaper price ( and this population my friends are the growing population in this town) This town probably will welcome Walmart, especially after it is here. Wages are not increasing as fast as rent increases, utilities, food and especially gas prices that are constantly fluctuating, but everyone who is anyone is jumping on the gas price war bandwagon to get their share. So when that happens people need a value and Walmart just happens to have it. Good or bad they provide and people who can't afford to shop high dollar will go to Walmart. Build it and they will come. You watch more people will shop there then you folks who are so negative about it can imagine.

Alexander Smith 7 years, 1 month ago

It sad, I want to know how much money WallMart bribed the council with? YES bribe, I have seen it happen in my home town in Iowa and my Dad's town in Tennessee. Wall-Mart is evil in the 10th degree. The Mayor and half the City Council are either in jail or paid huge fines by the feds for accepting cash from Walmart. Lawrencebug Tennessee. The City mayor and half the members on the zoning comission are now server time in fed pen for accepting bribes from Wal-Mart. Now they are looking at closing because they are not making big enough profit AFTER the have run 80 percent of the existing business out of business.

Lawrence can't support 2 Wal-Marts. As for Wal-mart having more cars then Target, how about you go over and see what your getting. Target have very competitive prices, Superior Quality to Wal-mart, and actually gives a flying leep about the local economy and community. Wal-Mart don't give a crap.

Wal-Mart is the pinnacle of NO MORAL values. They buy their products form countries that pay their people less then 25 cents an hour so that they can treat their employees like crap.

hellbilly_grrl 7 years, 1 month ago

The entire argument that some people have to shop at Wal-Mart to survive is complete BS to me. I certainly understand living on a budget, and for those people who really have to watch their pennies, there are plenty of affordable options that are not "big box" stores (Aldi's, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Goodwill, etc.). I think what is really meant by this is that people can't afford to have the things they want unless they get them really cheap (read: sweatshop-made, tax-subsidized, etc.). God forbid people have to do without their plastic crap, or budget and save until they can actually afford the price. I am a teacher, and my husband is a KU student, so my family is not exactly rolling in money. We have not shopped at Wal-Mart in years and choose to buy locally or sustainably made products as much as possible. No one has to shop at Wal-Mart; it is all about priorities and personal choice.

Baille 7 years, 1 month ago

Topeka? That would be a step up.

We are becoming Olathe. Drive to Olathe and you will see the future of Lawrence: fancy government buildings in a downtown full of boarded up or irrelevant shops all surrounded by mainstream, made-in-China, retail shops meant to enslave unwary consumers with tantalizng visions of personal fulfillment based on owning crap.

Thank god Lawrence is rushing to get in that line. Maybe we could encourage our headlong sprint to medicority by luring a restaurant chain that hires teenage girls to dress in too-small clothes and serve crappy processed "chicken" slathered in "buffalo sauce."

Jeanne Cunningham 7 years, 1 month ago

Scenebooster said:

"It takes, what - 5 minutes to drive from 6th & Wak to the existing walmart?

If that's your argument, why not just build a miniwalmart in every neighborhood? Or better yet, just move into one?"

Drive? - in what? It appears that you assume that everyone has a car and/or access to transportation, but unfortunately that is NOT true. And, even so, many of us choose to NOT drive if we can avoid it as (in case you haven't noticed) there are many downsides to fossil fuel consumption. There are all sorts of intended and unintended benefits to walking/cycling - and for some there is no realistic alternative.

Not to mention, if you choose to drive from 6th and Wakarusa to the existing Walmart in 5 minutes, please let me know because I want to sell tickets. It's about 6 miles and most of the distance is 30 mph maximum, some maybe 40 mph. Assuming that noone else is on the road and you hit no stop lights at all, that's still around 10 - 12 minutes.

Then, of course, once you're there, you do intend to come back, I'm guessing. So, there's another 10 - 12 minutes. But, more importantly, if you start a car and drive 6 miles. Then, start it again and drive another 6 miles, even the most fuel efficient vehicles will have used close to a gallon of gasoline. So, a trip to get a pair of $3.00 socks has cost as much as the socks - and "spent" a gallon of gasoline.

So, I should be more organized and remember to buy the socks on my monthly/bi-monthly/some other long term trip, right? Yah, well sometimes I forget, or sometimes something just comes up unexpectedly.

And, to the first part of your second suggestion - What a GREAT idea!!!! I would LOVE that. I am much more excited about sustainable neighborhoods, which DO promote Mom 'n Pop shops right next to convenience stores and, yes, even a branch of some big Behemoth. The people all know each other. The people all know the kids. The merchants know the people. The people and the cops know each other. Lots of good stuff happens. Some of the bad stuff doesn't.

The second part stinks for me because I have a very large family and a fairly large private residence in which to keep them. But, should you go to any small town and/or even downtown Lawrence, you'll see upstairs apartments above shops, cohabitating just fine. I see no particular downside to that either.

You don't have to shop there if you don't want to. But, why does it bother you so that I do want to? Were you the kid on the playground who took his basketball home when finished playing, even though there were other kids who wanted to play, but didn't have a basketball? and, even though you had a whole bucket of basketballs at home in your garage? .....

Cindy Wallace 7 years, 1 month ago

"Alternatives", "Choices"???? ...and here I have always thought that both of these words meant something entirely "different"....no pun intended! Ha! My 'alternative/choice' is to go to KC to shop at a "different" place called Costco....MONEY is what it is all about.....

Now on to other things:

Anyone read this yesterday? +++++Wal-Mart's rebound worth buying into+++++ By Michael Brush It was a headline on MSN.com MoneyCentral: (the gist of this article is that Wal-mart has now realized that in their own glut of stores, they are in essence, cannibalizing their own sales and profits! Perhaps our City Commissioners should consider this article when they are seeing $$$ in the form of what they perceive to be additional tax revenue with a 2nd Wal-mart. PLEASE READ THE EXCERPTS I HAVE POSTED FROM THE ARTICE:

"The key is limiting growth -- at the company's direction.........." "Change No. 1: A little less Wal-Mart " "Wal-Mart's plan to trim growth makes sense because of something Wal-Mart haters like to point out: The chain is so darn big already. Wal-Mart customers roam the equivalent of 16,800 football fields' worth of floor space in nearly 7,000 stores worldwide. Wal-Mart is the world's biggest retailer, with $345 billion in sales last year. The company has more employees -- 1.9 million -- than Philadelphia has residents." "While activists are troubled by the size of Wal-Mart on moral and aesthetic grounds -- they say it cuts back variety and nuance in the retail space by wiping out mom-and-pop shops -- that bulk creates problems from a business perspective as well. The reason: Wal-Mart is so big it risks cannibalizing existing stores' sales with each new store it opens. This helps explain why overall "comp store sales growth," a key retail benchmark that measures sales growth at stores open for more than one year, have slowed to 2%-3% in the past two years, compared with the 5%-9% growth in 1997-2003. Cannibalization reduced comp store sales by a percentage point in each of the past three years, says Wal-Mart." "Finally, what about those activists? Wal-Mart's problem here is that it continues to face bad public relations fallout from allegations of poor labor practices. Class-action lawsuits allege that the company forced employees to work off the clock and that it discriminated against women in pay and promotions." "A survey conducted by Wal-Mart Watch and Westhill Consulting recently found that over a quarter of those surveyed said they had developed a more negative opinion of Wal-Mart over the past year, and 9% of Wal-Mart shoppers say they have bought less at Wal-Mart because of Wal-Mart's business and labor practices." 'NUFF SAID..........

Alexander Smith 7 years, 1 month ago

In response to sunshine_noise: "The way I see it is some who have money who are opposed to the new Walmart are too snobby to shop there because they can afford to shop where prices are higher"

Dude, your an idiot. The Town Cannot support 2 of them. I will not shop at wal-mart because I know people who work there.. they treat the staff like crap. Men make more pay then women...problem still exists... The don't give a crap of life issue.

They destroy local economies.. they bribe town commission to get in. There is numerous documented occurences of this and I have seen first account of this.

When they close the store they do NOTHING to clean it up, just leave without a trace and screw the area they came from. The town is left in shambles and having to rebuild itself..

Lawrence has been fighting Wal-Mart for years because they KNOW what they will do and their is documented proof of the damage they encure.

All of a sudden they say "lets let them in".. time to start checking bank accounts of the Council that is saying "OK"..ANy knew NICE cars lately?

Its about moral values .. and know whats best for the economy..Something Wal-mart doesn't have or care... sort of like YOU Sunshine.

People like you and companys like Wal-Mart that are destroying the US. No Moral values, don't care what happens just as long as they get their dollar. Buy the cheapest product from outside the country sending jobs away from Americans..yes wal-mart hires a lot of people..look how they are treated..

Have a Cousin that buys toys for Wal-Mart..she goes sent to the poorest countries to by the product. You know what they tell her... look for the cheapeast product as long as it barely meets the safety guidlines to the point were its questionable and buy it. ..What a great company hugh!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

The very flimsiest justifcation for shopping at Wal-Mart is energy conservation. Nearly everything they sell is shipped from overseas somewhere, and while those shipping costs are heavily subsidized and/or the true costs externalized, the embodied energy component of shipping it here (in addition to the costs of shipping the raw materials to the factory where it was made) is quite high.

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

Baille; The girls tow young and crappy chicken... Doug already tried that one. He wins here hello crappy chicken in downtown Lawrence.

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

Pligrm; Dairy Queen and Culver's you are really having to look far and wide for any credible reason to support a 2nd Wal-Mart. Talk about fast food and department stores as if they are just apples.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 1 month ago

What no one gets is the economic impact. OF which the planning commission was asked not to consider when making their decisions. This decision was made some years ago which is bad business in my books. Economic impact should be required on every new retail decision.

What we have on our door step is economic displacement and Baur Farm will only further that situation. Economic displacement ultimately will demand more taxes because the retail market will not be generating enough sales tax revenue. Why? Not enough retail dollars in Lawrence,Kansas. Wal-Mart and any other future retail development will take from others thus no new revenue to crow about. 31st and Iowa corridor will also be affected by economic displacement.

The fact is despite what Bill Newsome and Doug Compton say Wal-Mart is not an alternative and how will it bring alternatives? The only real revenue generating alternative to housing and retail is higher paying light industrial and high taxes may deter such.

The retail market is saturated so why focus on more retail? The more Wal- Marts = fewer choices.

I do not shop Wal-Mart because they are responsible for so many USA jobs going abroad to keep up with what Wal-Mart dictates on wholesale price. Local dollars need to stay in the local market. Serious price checking revealed Wal-Mart is not necessarily a great deal.

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

Property rights? When did developers have more rights as property owners than any other property owner? Answer - Under our zoing codes and H2020 developers do not have extra rights and they are regulated by amounts, type and affect on the community, etc. Check the Golden Rules or the Facts of Finding 20-1809 Criteria for Elavuation of zoning... Be sure to check under the old codes becuase Wal-Mart got to submit under the old codes a year after the new codes went into effect. Since when did zoning rights give absolute right to developers, only, in the say of what is good in that area? Answer - H2020 stipulates those regulations for developers as well as all other property owners not the zoning codes. When has Wal-Mart ever followed the rules. Answer - NEVER! For you info - the largerst building allowed at 6th and Wakarusa on the NW corner is only 80,000 sq ft. under the present nodal plan for 6th and Wakarusa.

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

Pligrim; The citizens of Lawrence are demanding that Wal-Mart not be a part of the development plan. Not a fear of not selling to a competitor by a competitor. Over 50%! Again - apples and oranges or even better apples and steak in this case.

madmilker 7 years, 1 month ago

dang! what can I type..... China inventory to hit US$18 b JIANG JINGJING,China Business Weekly staff 2004-12-02 So far, more than 70 per cent of the commodities sold in Wal-Mart are made in China. Experts say Wal-Mart's plan of increasing its procurement from China has granted the firm a positive corporate reputation in the country. "Buying more products in China means more job opportunities, which helps the firm win not only the government's hearts, but also the customers' appreciation," said Wang Yao, director of information department under the China General Chamber of Commerce. and that has put... America is addicted to "cheap" According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics..... saving rate... 1965 8.5% 1975 10.5% 1985 11% 1995 5% 2005 -0.4% the savings rate in January 06 was a negative 0.7%... that is, the average! American household spent 0.7% more than it made May 2007 it was negative 1.4%.... American household spent 1.4% more than it made... Now.... the kicker! the gross domestic product is attributable to consumer spending? A whopping 70% ... Now we have the "catch 22". If the American people start to save... say 10% of their income. thats gonna be 10% less the consumer is gonna buy . which means Companies sell less. "UNLESS". Wages go up!. but with the all time high in Corporate profits in the past few years and a good part going to CEO's and insiders. a 10% increase ain't gonna happen soon! SO!...retirement is out of the picture if the American people don't save they have to keep working! NOW...the flip side! we can thank Microsoft, Warren Buffet, General Motors, General Electric, Motorola, Wal-Mart, Target and Ford for pouring billions of dollars into China. China saves 50% of their income! In search of better wages and a better life,300 million Chinese peasants will move to the cities in the next 15 years. This means China must build a new city the size of Philadelphia every 30 days. China is now constructing the most advanced rapid transit system in the World. Each year for the next 20 years, China will consume as much structural steel as would be needed to construct every building in Manhattan. According to Professor Jeremy Siegel of the Wharton School of Business, "In the not too distant future, the economy of China will be nearly twice as large as that of the US, an equal to the combined economies of all of North America, Europe and Japan". Already China is the world's largest maker of toys,clothing and consumer electronics and is swiftly moving up the ladder in car production, computer manufacturing, biotechnology and telecommunications,thanks to low-cost workers and high-tech factories. -- In 1776 a few fat farmers got together and with the penmanship of a poet wrote down on a piece of paper the American dream! Now......young people in America think $10 an hour....a ipod, computer games and flipping burgers is... that American dream!

meetoo 7 years, 1 month ago

DQ & Culvers must be thrilled to have a second WallyWorld! Imagine the lure of two Walmarts... all those size 24W waiting to be tried on by the faithful Walmart patrons! I think Lawrence is plenty 'BIG' enough to house two Walmarts or it will be soon enough, this is the midwest you know! Do you think they'll have a McD's right next to the clothing section again? I always chuckled when the 'old' Walmart had the fast food right next to the plus sizes. I guess it was easier to keep all those scooters close to their life supply...

Richard Heckler 7 years, 1 month ago

tribalzendancer 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm sorry, I know we live in a free market - where large corporations are granted subsidies and other perks smaller businesses are not... but besides that... we also live in a democracy.

Someone said that the consumers will choose? I'm sorry, since when did our role as citizens become nothing more than to choose where we consume product? Is that our "vote"?

This is a shameful excuse for a democracy. In what true democracy does a handful of rich developers and corporate CEO's get to decide the collective fate of a town... and us citizens merely vote by where we choose to consume?

We may live in a predatory capitalistic system (read: not true capitalism), but we still live in a democracy where the people - the majority - SHOULD trump the vote of a few rich individuals every time.

A recent poll showed that 53.2% of Lawrencian's are AGAINST the new Wal-Mart development. 26.8% is for, and 20% don't care.

That's almost 2-1 against. Will our elected "representatives" heed the public's consensus?

Probably not... and our democracy is the worse for it.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 1 month ago

3 years ago KDOT was finishing up it's massive "improvement" of west 6th street. At that time, with only half the retail development approved along that corridor as is the case today, the data showed every intersection "failing" from Folks Rd. to the K-10 intersection, with a high danger of very high cut through traffic when George Williams Way was completed.

KDOT warned the city at that time NOT to approve any more retail on west 6th as it would require a signalized light at the K-10 intersection. AND, they went on to say, as the gentleman implied last night, that KDOT had poured enough money into this Lawrence project and no new funding would be forthcoming in the foreseeable future.

Crossfire 7 years, 1 month ago

Any city with only one syphilitic festering sore needs another to balance the disease. This City Commission needs to be investigated and made to disclose all personal financial records and the financial records of all family members. They have paid in full. There is something very wrong happening here.

penguin 7 years, 1 month ago

I am actually pretty surprised that anyone is at all shocked or those that act like they did not know this was going to happen. I would think the City Commission elections in November would have tipped everyone off. If anything I am kind of surprised they moved this slow on pushing the second Wal-Mart into Lawrence.

So for all those who are mad I sure hope you voted in those elections...because that is what they seemed to be all about in terms of strategies of growth for the city of Lawrence (Progressives v. Big Builders...sorry dont know if they have a consolidated name).

Crossfire 7 years, 1 month ago

Chinese trade trumps Americans' safety... With Wal-Mart being one of the large purveyors of junk from China I guess Lawrence City Commie-mission is just following the party line. !!!Attenion Wal-Mart Shoppers!!! "Special Today Iccky Fishy" w/lots of iccky fishy antibiotic sauce. One gallon jar, only three dollar... You buy now?

Michael Capra 7 years, 1 month ago

whine and cry the sky is falling for all of you fruit cakes this is great

Crossfire 7 years, 1 month ago

Do not build another one until every employee of the first one has health insurance for their families and no longer qualify for public assistance. The lowest-price/highest-profit has to sacrifice something or can't you understand.

Chrissy Neibarger 7 years, 1 month ago

Has anyone asked what the people on the south side of town want? I, for one thing, am really hoping it does open up, just so i don't have to fight the traffic on this side of town first thing saturday morning.

ukillaJJ 7 years, 1 month ago

Just let them build it - heck Wal-Mart is the only reason we have recycling in Lawrence anyway.

Also, while we are at it, put in a damn IKEA - it will bring it tons of dough to the area!!!!!!

Linda Endicott 7 years, 1 month ago

Ah, is it a surprise to anyone that such a thing as Wal-Mart Realty exists? Seems that they themselves try to market their old, empty buildings...and put restrictions on any other leasing agent that attempts to fill the empty stores...

The last one is really interesting...seems that the only buildings that Wal-Mart Realty handles are their own old stores...only a handful of which are available for sale...the grand majority of them are for lease...

I don't think your statements about DQ are really relevant, Pilgrim. Number one, DQ isn't in the habit of constructing new, huge buildings just to abandon them later...Wal-Mart is.

Both of the DQ locations in Ottawa have been here for years and years...and they both were something else prior to this. The north location was the site of the old Bennett's store...anyone else remember Bennett's ice cream? The south store used to be a little place called Bike's, and was vacant for quite awhile before DQ got it and renovated it.

Eileen Emmi Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

A fairly nice-looking part of town will now be ugly.

Boo hiss to the city commission that sold out to them what brung them.

Eileen Emmi Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

Andini (Anonymous) says: It will fail because there's not a trailer park close by.

Never fear, the trailer park people will come!

As I said above...

coneflower 7 years, 1 month ago

When I see a Wal-Mart bag, I get a negative impression of the person carrying it. I guess I'll get to see which of my neighbors are the type that would shop at a Wal-Mart. I wouldn't be caught dead in that parking lot.

Dixie Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

awwww maybe we should open a new bar called the "pitty pit" for those who are boohooing about wally world coming in to west lawrence

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

Pilgrim; Actually your info is very ilrelevant. This is not about Wal-Mart looking at whether they are going to sell to target. This is about the city is looking at whether Wal-Mart fits the Criteria for evaluation. Dairy Queen not selling to Cluvers or vise versa has nothing to do with what is presently happening. Wal-Mart does not comply with over half of the criteria.

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

Pilgrim; Wal-Mart to date has over 800,000 sq ft of vacant stores in this country alone. So a store here and there does not make a statement true. Actually it being a Wal-MArt is a land use question! And the planning commission is well stacked this time so what they say is expected but not what was their job. Again - 20-1809 old codes. The city has the right to not allow a specific business for many reasons. Health and welfare and safety is one and complying with the comprehensive plan is another. And that comprehensive plan is H2020.

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

Also; The 6th and Wakrusa nodal plan says the largest building can only be 80,000 sq ft. That alone should have made a less one sided PC vote against the Wal-Mart plan.

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

More vacant than re-leased is the point.

WWoftheW 7 years, 1 month ago

Update; the amount of buildings on the market at that time was closer to 20 million square feet of empty stores. As these stores sit dormant, they continue to generate polluted runoff, poisoning rivers and lakes. Based on Wal-Mart's own list, here are some statistics on these empty stores that might surprise you: Just hot off the press.

Don Zimmer 7 years, 1 month ago

Not so logicsound

"It shall be unlawful for any person to discriminate in favor of one purchaser against another purchaser or purchasers of a commodity bought for resale, with or without processing"

Just as government can place restrictions on usage (zoning) private individuals can. An example "Protective Covenants". You are referring to a "commodity" not real property.

Below is the language in a vacated WMT I bought. BTW it was converted to a Pharmaceutical lab . One that Lawrence would give their eye tooth for.

TO HAVE AND TO HOLD said land unto Grantee, and its successors and assigns, forever, with all tenements, appurtenances and hereditaments thereunto belonging, subject to easements, conditions, restrictions and other matters of record, and subject to the following conditions and restrictions:

Grantee covenants that the Property will not be used for or in support of the following: (i) a grocery store or supermarket, as hereinafter defined below, (ii) a wholesale club operation similar to that of a Sam's Club owned and operated by Wal-Mart, (iii) a discount department store or other discount store, as hereinafter defined, or (iv) a pharmacy (the "Property Restrictions"). "Grocery store" and "supermarket", as those terms are used herein, shall mean a food store or a food department containing more than 35,000 square feet of gross leasable area, for the purpose of selling food for consumption off the premises, which shall include but not be limited to the sale of dry, refrigerated or frozen groceries, meat, seafood, poultry, produce, delicatessen or bakery products, refrigerated or frozen dairy products, or any grocery products normally sold in such stores or departments. "Discount department store" and/or "discount store", as those terms are used herein, shall mean a discount department store or discount store containing more than 50,000 square feet of gross leasable area, for the purpose of selling a full line of hard goods and soft goods (e.g. clothing, cards, gifts, electronics, garden supplies, furniture, lawnmowers, toys, health and beauty aids, hardware items, bath accessories, and auto accessories) at a discount in a retail operation similar to that of Wal-Mart. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the property Restrictions shall not apply to Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. or any parent company, affiliate, subsidiary, or related company.

The Property Restrictions shall remain in effect for a period of fifty (50) years. The aforesaid Property Restrictions shall run with and bind the Property and shall inure to the benefit of and be enforceable by Grantor, or its successors and assigns, by any appropriate proceedings at law or in equity to prevent violations of such aforesaid Property Restrictions or to recover damages for such violations.

Emily Hadley 7 years, 1 month ago

So how about we open an all-night strip joint at 9th and Mass? I am guessing they would do great business, and hey, if you don't want to go there or work there, that is as far as your concern as a citizen should go.

Eileen Emmi Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

West Lawrence will be sorry when the trash blowing off the new Wal-Mart parking lot ends up in their yards. West Lawrence deserves it, for letting 20% of the registered voters in this town - all the developers and realtors, who mostly live in west Lawrence - swing the last election.

I feel bad for the high schoolers and kids who will have to deal with the new traffic mess and the trashy clientele Wal-Mart attracts. I will avoid 6th/Wak and all the businesses there from now on, so I don't have to look at the ugly thing.

Will the new Wal-Mart pay for the traffic upgrades required? I doubt it. The commission would rather cut the T than make their corporate sponsors pay their own way.

Stain 7 years, 1 month ago

A sales tax increase every years, and a Wal-Mart on every corner! That should have been the campaign slogan for these new commissioners - not "jobs" and "economy" which really meant a better economy for a dozen or so people, and higher taxes and fewer services for the rest of us.

Stain 7 years, 1 month ago

This is true, but those of us who live near there have to deal with the traffic and the whole degradation that a Wal-Mart ALWAYS brings to an area, and all the taxpayers have to pay for the improvements that Wal-Mart will not be made to pay for.

Jennings is incredibly stupid to reduce this issue to that statement he made. A planning commissioner by definition is supposed to assess the effect of a building on the community, and he apparently is not capable of grasping that.

karensisson 7 years, 1 month ago

theironmouse (Anonymous) says: It sad, I want to know how much money WallMart bribed the council with? YES bribe, I have seen it happen in my home town in Iowa and my Dad's town in Tennessee.

Absolutely. I saw it happen in two other towns where I lived. Wal-Mart bribes and threatens. They play real dirty. So do Compton and Newsome who own that land.

karensisson 7 years, 1 month ago

TheYetiSpeaks says: Lets say I go into WalMart to get a pack of Hanes underoos. If I pay less for those underoos than I would at Target or any other store, how is it exactly that I have been "duped" into thinking I got the best deal instead of actually just getting the best deal?

1. Google up "Wal-Mart Snapper lawnmowers" - interesting story about what you really get when you buy a brand you recognize at Wal-Mart. It ain't always the same thing.

2. What an item costs is sometimes more than the green and silver stuff you pull out of your wallet. But for small-minded, selfish people, that might be the only cost they want to think about.

r4hawks 7 years, 1 month ago

GREAT JOB, PLANNING COMMISSION!!! Now I hope the City Commissioners accept and follow your advice. Tom Jennings said it best: "Nobody is forced to buy there, and no one is forced to work there." What It WILL do, is expand the tax base, and provide for additional welcome jobs. Great for students needing additional income and others. If the Wal-Mart-haters don't want to shop there ...hey, that is fine with me. As for me, I kinda like to save big bucks on name-brand items. I like saving dollars, quarters, or even dimes on groceries. And for the older folk, I love seeing them pay only $4.00 for $100.00 prescriptions. And their return policy is about the fairest of any store in town. I still shop at Target, as a second or third choice. When you shop there during the Christmas season, have you ever heard any one in the store wish you "Merry Christmas"?? Of course you haven't!! Against their rules!! Do you ever see any Salvation Army kettles in front of their store?? Of course you don't!! Reasons enough alone for me to shop elsewhere!!!

coneflower 7 years, 1 month ago

Wal-Mart will cheapen the neighborhood and make it dirtier and uglier. It always does.

Jamesaust 7 years, 1 month ago

logicsound: "Oh, and you want legal foundation for my opinions-here is subsection (e) of section 2 of the Clayton act. It specifically prohibits a seller like Wal-Mart from discriminating against their competitors, should they decide to lease or sell an old building." Etc., etc.

ROFL.

(A) As you QUOTE the Act, a building is not a "commodity." A building is unique. Its sets on land (a/k/a, 'real property). Commodities are never real property. Consequences flow from this distinction, thus the Act doesn't apply - ever - to buildings.

(B) Enforcement is at the hands of the federal government, which to my knowledge has never itself compelled a transfer of real property to a third (non-government) party. [Interestingly, the State of Hawaii HAS done so under a state law and that action was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.]

So, to sum up: the Clayton Act doesn't apply, doesn't form the basis of a legal principle, and isn't something that you or anyone else in Lawrence or Kansas could ever invoke. In other words, you're wrong; Pilgrim's right.

curiousdre 7 years, 1 month ago

I've actually been reading all of your comments as part of an analysis and critique of Lawrence's city budget, and planning goals. I wondered about a few things:

1. If you're so angry about the new commissioners' priorities, couldn't you begin a recall movement?

2. Doesn't the argument of "If you don't like [whatever is happening in/to Lawrence], move somewhere else" work both ways? I often see this argument directed towards what I'll refer to as Pro-Walmarters (i.e, move to Joco if that's what you want), but if that is what people in Lawrence want, then couldn't they say "If you want an eclectic college town move to Boulder/Ann Arbor/Madison"? An accelerating population loss would certainly point out to the powers that be that their policies are not matching the wishes of their community?

3. I think that, ultimately, I'm anti-Walmart and don't really shop there if I can help it (although I'm not sure that patronizing Target is really any better, or how I can get a locally produced Rubbermaid container for odds and ends in my garage--I'll take any criticism that I'm not a well-informed consumer as fair)...but it angers me that many other folks who are anti-Walmart dilute their solid arguments by throwing in a good deal of prepostorous arguments.

Just some thoughts as I pass through...feel free to tell me what I should be looking for in terms of critiquing the 06-07 Lawrence City budget, too...

Crossfire 7 years, 1 month ago

I vote they skip the wal-mart and build a billabong store instead. http://www.billabonggirls-usa.com/#/social_videoclips/