Letters to the Editor

The ‘big time’

January 26, 2007

To the editor:

Regarding the KU-MU "Border War" football game now scheduled for Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City for 2007 and 2008: I believe that detractors and local merchants are being shortsighted and selfish. These two universities have played in K.C. many times in the past. This is an opportunity for both schools to garner broader exposure before a regional and national audience.

Other premier football teams have long annual traditions of playing their historical rivals in off-campus stadia. The Oklahoma-Texas contest is always in Dallas' Cotton Bowl, Georgia-Florida takes place in Jacksonville (the world's biggest cocktail party), and Army-Navy game is at Soldier Field in Philadelphia.

Our "Border War," the oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi River deserves to be elevated to a national status. Also, now that football seasons have been expanded to 12 games, this allows schools to still have six or seven home games. Often in past years many schools only played five games at home. Change reinvigorates; let's support this move to the "big time" to become a permanent tradition. Merchant protests are a case of the tail wagging the dog. The greater good etc., etc.

Richard M. Hassur,

Lawrence

Comments

Slav 8 years, 6 months ago

Home field advantage is an enormous factor in the rivalry. Playing on neutral ground is going to neuter this tradition.

jennifermarti 8 years, 6 months ago

It hurts the local economy and it does hurt to not have a home field advantage. There is no way fans can fill Arrowhead so then the teams don't hear the support of the crowd they would at home.

Slav 8 years, 6 months ago

And for the record I'm not a business owner nor am I directly dependent or associated with anyone who is, so my support comes as a Lawrencenian.

rollcar 8 years, 6 months ago

I object to this move because it represents taking the next step toward making college sports about the almighty dollar, much like professional sports. I enjoy attending college sporting events largely because they are typically held in smaller venues, where you can actually see the players without binoculars. There is an atmosphere created by 50,000 loyal fans crammed into their home stadium that cannot be recreated by 60,000 or 70,000 or even 100,000 people in some cavernous corporate-sponsored stadium in neutral territory.

I realize that even college sports are money-driven these days, but there is still an excitement to them that has long been missing from the nameless, faceless robots that now dominate professional sports.

This move is akin to removing a small locally owned coffee shop to replace it with a Starbucks, simply because they have deeper pockets and better "curb appeal". It's depressing.

oldgoof 8 years, 6 months ago

rollcar: "taking the next step...(to) professional sports" .. oldgoof says: The next step? This stuff became professional sports long, long, ago. But universities, fans, and sports-page (i.e. entertainment industry) writers and editors just don't want to admit to the hypocracy. . The King has no clothes.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

this LTE writer is probably also among those hopeless fans who want to rename part of Missouri street!

who said "religion is the opiate of the masses?" well, the commie should say "sports fanaticism is the opiate of the masses."

Slav 8 years, 6 months ago

"Sports' fanaticism is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people." I don't know how Karl Marx could be considered a commie, but, as far as Marxism goes, the two terms do seem interchangeable. As far as ignorant labeling goes, Communism is really an idea that was perverted for the good of a totalitarian government that Karl Marx not only had nothing to do with, he'd also have opposed with all of his being.

Raider 8 years, 6 months ago

jennifrmarti, Arrowhead won't fill up b/c people like you are too lazy to get off your a$$ and drive to KC for the ball game.

Richard's letter is correct. While this game isn't as large as UT/OU or FL/GA it could still be a a huge vent in Kansas City.

Given the turnout for most KU home games, the city is not losing that much. Plus, they've added an additional home game to make up for it.

rollcar 8 years, 6 months ago

Some things are about more than revenue. Some of us are just disheartened to see such a blatant example of the school choosing a revenue boost over the opinions of the city and the team's local fan base. I think oldgoof is right, and we have been mistakenly led to believe that college sports were somehow about, you know, the college.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 6 months ago

Obviously Mr Hassur does not own a business downtown. If he did he would likely change his tune. The more tax dollars collected in Lawrence,Kansas the better for local tax payers whether or not a downtown business is owned. The athletic department is thinking of itself only. Lawrence kinda likes that bit of school spirit on game days...that's part of the deal of living in a college town.

AreaMan 8 years, 6 months ago

Well, I say thank god it won't be in town. All the games have ever brought to my life is a street full of noisy drunks, pre- and post-game. Let 'em tear down somebody else's goalpost for once.

Slav 8 years, 6 months ago

"that's part of the deal of living in a college town."

budwhysir 8 years, 6 months ago

I think when this game is played, I will be watching something else on tv and saving my money

budwhysir 8 years, 6 months ago

So why is it, when I make a post and point out the obvious, thats it no more debate??

Jayhawktriplegrad 8 years, 6 months ago

Why on earth does anyone think moving to Arrowhead will give KU more exposure? You think national TV is interested in showing aisles clogged with drunks stumbling back and forth to the bathroom and the beer counter? You can go on YouTube now and see a video of a girl puking at the KU-OU game at Arrowhead.

The game will get national exposure and coverage when it's played by two powerhouse teams. Moving to a tired stadium set in a concrete pastue has nothing to do with it.

Slav 8 years, 6 months ago

Bud, you started your comment by saying,

"5 yard penalty too many players on the field. I am done with this issue already. If I thought it would make a difference I would speak my mind but the decision has been made and no one cares what I think."

And then you ask why no one replies to your thoughts on this issue?

Too much budweiser, not enough brain cells.