Archive for Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Resident dies of injuries from house fire

January 16, 2007

Advertisement

A longtime Lawrence resident died late Monday night after being injured in a house fire.

Alice Frye, who was known as Granmommie, died from complications from her burns. She was 94.

"It's very sad that it happened that way," her son, Art Frye, said Tuesday at her home. "Everybody figures at that age you'll just lay down and not wake up."

The fire Sunday was ruled accidental, fire officials said at the time. Frye's family said that although the heat worked well in her home at 416 Wisconsin St., she would often turn on the stove burners for extra heat. The burners likely caught her clothing on fire, they said.

"She was just cold," said Jane Barnes, her daughter. "She just wanted that heat."

Alice Frye was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, then to St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., where she died.

Frye, a member of the Ninth Street Baptist Church, had two children, 12 grandchildren and several great-grandchildren, including Brandon McAnderson, a junior running back on the Kansas University football team.

Warren-McElwain funeral home is preparing the funeral services, her family said.

Comments

Sigmund 8 years, 3 months ago

Horribly sad. My heart goes out to her family and many friends.

amazed 8 years, 3 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

Confrontation 8 years, 3 months ago

It's nice that she was able to stay in her own home for so long. My thoughts are with the family.

Bone777 8 years, 3 months ago

amazed - I think they were stating the one that the "reader" would be most likely to recognize.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 3 months ago

I vote: being nasty!
sad that she died this way. her heating worked so this was preventable. God care for the whole family at this time.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.