Archive for Sunday, January 7, 2007

Poor treatment

January 7, 2007

To the editor:

On Jan. 4 of the new year we were celebrating my friend's 21st birthday at a local bar off 23rd Street in Lawrence.

A bouncer who had a grudge against a girl in our party and could not find her chose to forcefully throw my friend and me from the bar. I had already fallen once from his unnecessary force, and my friend still wore her birthday tiara. We were both thrown again outside the door. I hit my head hard on the loose asphalt outside the bar door.

According to the Lawrence police officer I spoke with, a bouncer can throw a person out if he so much as does not like their shoes, and if they disagree at all, the bouncer has the right to use force. Our disagreement with this bouncer was merely asking "why?"

I am NOT asking Lawrence to condone drinking. I am asking Lawrence to review the aggressive privileges given to young employees who can easily abuse them. I return to school this weekend and I regret that I was so poorly treated in my hometown.

Nicolette Weil,

Lawrence

Comments

lawrencelady 8 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, it's best not to argue with any kind of authority figure in this town. At least until an internal affairs panel is formed. Which isn't going to happen, so it's just best not to argue with any kind of authority figure in this town.

reginafliangie 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm thinking something is missing from this story. Seems that these "party people" don't realize how obnoxious they become after having a few. I am all for having fun. But I have seen these types of get togethers all to often and see how well they get out of hand. I find it hard to beleive that they were thrown out of the bar, "just because". Something else happened. What was it, Nicolette?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

I don't really know Nicolette, but I know her family, and I can assure you that none of them have any obnoxious or violent tendencies. I'm fairly confident this happened as she described it.

And anyone who hasn't experienced bouncers who were petty tyrants hasn't been out much.

reginafliangie 8 years, 2 months ago

Ok, so not knowing Nicolette or her friends, it's pretty hard to say you know how they were behaving since you know her family? I would bet most parents would be shocked if they saw how their "sweet and innocent" children behave after going out on the town, and having a couple of drinks. I don't know her or her friends either, but as somebody who used to be in the club scene quite a bit, I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a bouncer act badly or treat anybody bad unless the person deserved it. And since she did say she was from Lawrence I find it really hard to believe this is her first encounter with bars or employees of bars, but since she felt they were treated badly, it obviously meritted a letter to the editor. Maybe the bouncers didn't know you lived in Lawrence, I'm sure they treat all "bounced" patrons differently according to "home town".

Chrissy Neibarger 8 years, 2 months ago

i agree that there is probably more to this story, there usually is three sides to every story; yours, mine, and the truth. but i also have no problem believing that some bouncers can be abusive with their power. with the police on the bouncer's side, it's a sensitive issue. the best thing to do, i think, is not give the bar your business anymore. nothing gets the message to bar owners quicker than the potential loss of $

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

This forum is full of flamers who are quick to assume that everyone (except bouncers) are as big an a**hole as they are.

Speakout 8 years, 2 months ago

Hmmmm, let the bouncers do whatever they do and your response can be simple: Don't go in there again and convince your friends the same. Perhaps management will notice if their receipts start getting smaller. They will take a good look.

This country is based upon the bang for the buck. The smaller the bang, the less you will inhabit that place.

shirinisb 8 years, 2 months ago

I know her well, she is not an obnoxious girl in the least. She's very respectable and not the type to get into a confrontation.

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

A whole group of my friends, me and my sister were tossed from a local area bar once just because the bouncer had come into the girls room ( a male bouncer, btw) and yelled that the line was long and everyone was taking too long and it was too crowded. So my sister said "if you'd get your fat, cheetoe eating a out of here, we'd have more room" and then, just like that, we were all gone. The rest of us were on the dance floor but because we were with her, we were ejected, too. And this fat a bouncer jerkoff didn't even tell her to go or that her comments were unacceptable or anything rationally or calmly, he just grabbed her, yelled "you're out of here" in her face and dragged her towards the door. A lot of bouncers are jerks.

imastinker 8 years, 2 months ago

I've never met anyone who didn't occasionally get a bit obnoxious after a few drinks. Sounds to me like the bouncer had a previous run in with a friend, and nicolette got obnoxious about it because he told her no.

Just go somewhere else. That's all there is to it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

"Sounds to me like the bouncer had a previous run in with a friend, and nicolette got obnoxious about it because he told her no."

Sounds like you're one of the a**holes on this forum busy projecting again, and making up "facts" out of thin air to support your little fiction.

heysoos 8 years, 2 months ago

Having bartended for over ten years, I must say that I tend to believe that these girls were guilty of more than merely asking "why?"

If you've ever had to clear an establishment after last call, you probably know precisely what I am talking about...

institches 8 years, 2 months ago

since when is a bouncer an "authority figure"? And chances are they ( bouncer) already tried to be a cop and failed, so they become a hobby cop... and sorry, but since when does the law allow somebody to put hands on someone else and not call it battery????

lynnd 8 years, 2 months ago

it all depends on the person and their mood at the time. long time ago, i questioned a policy at a bar- merely because i was confused and didn't understand what the guy was saying, not because i was disagreeing, and they threatened to throw me out. i think the guy was just having a bad night.

i tend to think that if nicolette was willing to write a letter to the editor about it, then she's probably telling the truth.

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 2 months ago

I was "forcefully" removed from a sports bar here in Lawrence a number of years ago for arguing with a barfly (formerly a friend) b/c I was flirting with the guy she wanted to flirt with, despite the fact she had a boyfriend. We argued in the bathroom, where a waitress overheard the argument, ran out and told the head bouncer. And yes, it was just an argument, not a fight. There was no punching, hitting, kicking, biting or hair-pulling. I decided to leave since I'd only gone to the bar to hang out with this friend. As I was walking to the door, the head bouncergrabbed me from behind and threw me to the ground and 4 other bouncers picked me up and physically tossed me from the establishment. An ambulance had to be called because I'd hit my head and it was bleeding severely and two ligaments in my right knee were torn. I weighed 123 pounds. Do you really think it was necessary for 4 bouncers to physically remove me? This was not the first time the bouncer had gotten overly enthusiastic about removing people, it turned out.

imastinker 8 years, 2 months ago

Bozo -

I said nothing about facts. I simply stated what it sounded like happened to me. I have no idea. I do howeer have a hard time believing that so many mean bouncers would be allowed to continue working if they were running people out of bars that could still buy drinks and not make a mess of the place. They'd be fired! Even more, there was alcohol involved.

Who cares though?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 2 months ago

"I simply stated what it sounded like happened to me."

All you know is what was in this letter, and the letter in no way "sounds" the way you interpreted it.

budwhysir 8 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I have seen it all to often. Two or three drunk people just sitting in a bar minding thier own business and a bouncer just walks up singles them out and throws them out the door for no reason whatsoever.

Politicaly speaking, more innocent people are thrown out of bars than those breaking the strict rules of the party arena.

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 2 months ago

imastinker - considering the number of students at KU, I'm sure bar owners feel that "mean" bouncers are a good investment. Losing a few disgruntled drinkers who feel they were ejected unfairly is undoubtedly less expensive than allowing some corn-fed Midwestern good ol' boys tear the place up. They concider it protecting their investments. However, some of these bouncers could certain use a lesson in when force is needed and when a polite escort to the door will do. Most of them probably used "Roadhouse" as a training film.

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 2 months ago

Well, yeah, but I thought I'd give the bouncers some dignity and leave that part out.

kansaskate 8 years, 2 months ago

Whatever. Nicolette, you're underage, and shouldn't have been at a bar anyway.