Archive for Friday, February 23, 2007

K-State stunt angers PETA

February 23, 2007

— International animal rights organization PETA has made public a letter it sent to Kansas State President Jon Wefald complaining about throwing of live chickens on the basketball court prior to Monday's game against Kansas University at Bramlage Coliseum.

Jackie Vergerio, who wrote the letter on behalf of PETA, asked the school to ban the use of live animals at all school events.

Vergerio cited reports that at least three chickens were thrown onto the court during player introductions.

Describing chickens as "very intelligent and inquisitive animals," Vergerio said the chickens appeared to have been subjected to "deafening noise, bright lights, terror, abusive handling and likely death for the sake of amusement," a practice the group characterized as "needless and deplorable."

Comments

aquakej 7 years, 10 months ago

Thank you PETA. I'm certainly glad someone has taken this seriously. It disturbed me a great deal to hear that those poor chickens were being thrown on the floor.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm so torn. On the one hand, as a KU student, I'm obligated to have nothing but contempt for K-State. On the other, as a non-rediculous human being, I'm obligated to have nothing but contempt for PETA. Who to choose? Who to choose?

redneckwoman 7 years, 10 months ago

Just fry up the "poor" chickens & put them out of there misery then!

imastinker 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree with you agnostick.

It makes me wonder, however, if those PETA people have ever net a chicken. You can't let them stay outside in the rain because they can stand there with their mouth open and drown.

oldgoof 7 years, 10 months ago

Charlie Brown said it best... . Good Grief

Ragingbear 7 years, 10 months ago

While I am against animal cruelty myself, I still claim that I have encountered insects more intelligent than chickens. By far, they are the stupidest creature on the farm. PETA....well, they need to take their medicine and get a better grasp of reality.

Confrontation 7 years, 10 months ago

"It's BASKETBALL, whaddya expect? Chicken's going to have to step up if it wants to play..."

75x55: That was the best comment of the day!

Also, I'm glad there were only chickens involved. Think of the uproar if they had thrown cocks onto the court!

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 10 months ago

Didn't the PETA folks recently face numerous criminal charges for killing a bunch of healthy animals and putting them in a dumpster? Hypocrites.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 10 months ago

The article was old, but the trial for their criminal activity just got underway a few months ago, bud.

imastinker 7 years, 10 months ago

Agnostick - that's interesting. I was told that piece of information by a farmer (while butchering his chickens).

I wonder if the suffocation mentioned int he article has been misintreped as this. It seems odd that a person as experienced as him would believe somethign that isn't true.

Thanks for correcting me though. I learned something new.

They are dumb animals though. I can personally attest to that.

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 10 months ago

Turkeys are the ones that look up into the rain and drown. Turkeys are dumber than the chickens.

sloppyscience 7 years, 10 months ago

If PETA is angry about the chickens, wait until they find out what the Wildcat faithful are doing to their sheep!

pelliott 7 years, 10 months ago

I am no peta fan, and I don't care about how cute or intelligent the critter is. Abusing an animal isn't good sportsmanship or humorous. It is creepy. Sports in Kansas seems to be degraded to drunken irresponsible pranks. just getting creepier and creepier. By the way, on turkeys, check out the information, taint so.

ASBESTOS 7 years, 10 months ago

Geez, PETA has NOT CLUE on this one. It is not the THROWING of the Chicken or the landing that is really the probelm where.

It is painting them Red and Blue with enamel spray paint. It is really the only spray paint that gets the "Crimpson and Blue" colors correct. ANything else looks like a shoddy paint job and does not even resemble a Jayhawk.

erod0723 7 years, 10 months ago

KSU is a bunch of white trash hicks with no decency. What else would you expect from a school that has purple as their main color?

Kodiac 7 years, 10 months ago

Can't figure out why People for the Eating of Tasty Animals (PETA) would object to all of this especially if the chickens were sent to KFC afterwards?

justsomewench 7 years, 10 months ago

It's K-State, the chickens were actually enrolled.

justsomewench 7 years, 10 months ago

perhaps it WAS a clumsy way to introduce the 3 newest members of the K-State cheerleading squad.

erod0723 7 years, 10 months ago

to Just, We all know the chickens were enrolled.. The tragedy of this event is that the chickens were the best students at Ksucks.

drewdun 7 years, 10 months ago

"PETA is the epitome of the far-left loons of America----it does not get too awful much loonier-----PETA serves a useful purpose-----and that is to remind America that the left in general is out of touch and has some substantial mental issues"

Reaching.

"Obsess much?"

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 10 months ago

Being thrown out onto the BB court is like a "free range vacation" compared to what their buddies at Tyson are going through. Them chickens in Arkansas grow from hatchling to "KFC" in something like 2 weeks.

"'I'll take some loud noises and bright lights if it gets me out of my cage for an evening' said one of the chickens..."

classclown 7 years, 10 months ago

There's a new sheriff in town!

Here's a couple of roosters breaking up a fight.