Archive for Wednesday, February 14, 2007

KU tradition

February 14, 2007

To the editor:

The history and honorable tradition of basketball at Kansas University instill pride in the community of Lawrence and the KU student body. Chanting obscenities at the referees and booing the opposition at games diminishes the character of Lawrence residents and KU students. Our pride in our community and in the university should inspire us all to stand up and say, "We don't do that here. We don't need to do that here."

Carol Enos,

Lawrence

Comments

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

wow did not realize that was happening. dammit whatever happened to class, grace, etc?? classclown i agree, it seems the meter on quality of character has dipped to dangerous lows. and i hate it. as a proud KU alum, i have to say that i'm totally ashamed of the up&coming 'Hawks! these students need a smack to the back of the head or something. that behaviour has to stop!

i remember when i was in college-late 80's early 90's(non trad student to boot)-there was some student idiocy going on at the fieldhouse; can't remember exactly what the threat was, but ol' roy(i'm very ambivalent about him but this was cool)made a very widespread and loud declaration that this type of behaviour was NOT going to be tolerated in the Phog! why the H are we so scared to discipline/teach these young folk today??

classclown 8 years, 5 months ago

KU basketball has nothing to do with it. Character is within the individual. These days, that is the character one typically finds in most people in Lawrence or anywhere else for that matter.

Obsenities and booing is the new preferred way of showing pride.

The times are changing.

KS 8 years, 5 months ago

Trinity - People are scared to discipline because somebody might decide to sue. I agree with Classclown, that this really has nothing to do with KU basketball. The behavior today is the expected norm. What is this world coming to? I sound like my Grandpa, now.

KS 8 years, 5 months ago

Right on Carol! Leave that stuff for K-State and Mizzou! They do it so well.

Kookamooka 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah! Ole Roy. I seem to recall an incident where he actually got out on the court and publicly lectured the fans. Isn't that right? I wasn't there but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the highlights.

mom_of_three 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't like the booing of the opposing team, but I will boo the refs bad call, and I sometimes chant the bullshi*. But as far as obscenities go, it is pretty minor.
MIssouri fans throw things on the court, which we don't do, and Kstate fans used to throw things at the players, which we don't do.

imagold 8 years, 5 months ago

You'd think in a university setting they could come up with something more "heady". For instance "bovine guano" instead of "bull****".

My family has debated what I see as a problem of cursing in every day language, numerous times. It seems to be widely accepted to fling around four letter words. I find it shows a lack of vocabulary, an inability to use a dictionary, and disrespect for whomever you are talking to. And those who use that type of language in front of their children should not be surprised to find those same children shouting obscenities during sporting events. Children live what they learn.

They also learn from people they admire and respect. I appreciated Coach Williams's stance on behavior in the fieldhouse. Sometimes it takes repremanding (or a nice letter from the coach in the University Daily Kansan) from someone you admire to set the tone. Coach?

mom_of_three 8 years, 5 months ago

you know, if bullshi#$ upsets you, then you better say indoors.

mom_of_three 8 years, 5 months ago

My mother never cursed. My dad would occassionally, when his tractor wouldn't work, etc.
I tend to follow his example.
But "darn it all to heck" doesn't release all the pent up energy as da*n & or he-double-hockey-sticks.

mom_of_three 8 years, 5 months ago

maybe you could get them to chant - hogwash, rubbish, baloney, balderdash, applesauce or ridiculous.
(applesauce I wasn't sure of, but it is listed in the thesaurus when I looked up bull)

mom_of_three 8 years, 5 months ago

I wonder about the refs - especially Jim Burr, Steve Welmer, and HIGHTOWER!!

But I am a little uncomfortable when they boo the opposing team before the game starts. YOu need something to boo at first.

imagold 8 years, 5 months ago

mom-of-three: I enjoyed your suggestions but worry if balderdash might upset those refs that are follicle-ly challenged. Ridiculous is way too long. My favorite is applesauce. (I'm guilty of booing the refs and some intentional fouls.)

Confrontation 8 years, 5 months ago

It's always interesting to see grandparents complaining about their grandchildren's generation. Who do you think raised your granchildren's parents?

lacoov 8 years, 5 months ago

Go eat in one of the cafeterias on campus and listen to all the four letter words being thrown around. I've come to the conclusion that manners(table/social) are no longer being taught at home anymore.