Letters to the Editor

Too graphic

February 7, 2007

To the editor:

I was dismayed and disgusted to read the article about pet safety and paper shredders printed on Feb. 3. While I understand the purpose of the article was to alert pet owners to the dangers of paper shredders (although one would hope pet owners would exercise good judgment when it comes to pets and any sort of electronic device), I found the narrative at the beginning of the article to be graphic and disturbing.

While this article was not generated by Journal-World staff, an article involving a description of dog mutilation was certainly not my idea of acceptable reading material with breakfast. I hope that in the future, some due consideration would be given to editing such material out of wire stories or at least placing a warning at the top.

Michael Hladky,

Lawrence

Comments

acg 8 years, 3 months ago

Lots of bad things happen to lots of good people, and dogs, Michael, and if you are so concerned with being exposed to negative things each day, maybe you should consider censoring your life so as to not damage your fragile psyche. We are the sum of our experiences, dude, good and bad. Remember that.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 3 months ago

People sh*t, too. That is the TRUTH. Would you like a detailed, graphic description of that over breakfast too?

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

Sometimes I do get that crazyks. I have small children and they tend to want to tell you about everything, at the most inappropriate times. :)

tweetybird2 8 years, 2 months ago

Michael, it bothered me too. They did not need to be so graphic.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

Small children don't have such a graphic vocabulary. And they don't know any better.

We can assume that the adults at LJW do.

JoRight 8 years, 2 months ago

Michael probably lives on Sesame Street w/ Big Bird, Bert & Ernie.

I'm not disturbed or distraught easily, but, I dont know what is worse: opening the paper and reading about an IED explosion, or, a dog getting it's tongue stuck in a paper shredder.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

You can state that the dog got caught in the paper shredder without going into minute detail about everything that happened.

I thought the point was to warn other pet owners. Not to be as gross as possible.

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

I honestly think a lot of you would whine regardless of what they write because, well, you're whiny people. "OMG I'm so offended by this and that and them and what he said and what they wrote and holy crap that guitar looks like a penis!!" Boohoo, get over it you bunch of babies.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

If I wanted to see gross pics or descriptions of fatal car crashes, murder victims, mutilated pets, or anything else in the genre, I could get online, where it seems very little is regulated, and visit any number of sites that cater to the bloodthirst that a disturbing number of people seem to have.

I do not, however. Reading that it happened, that it's dangerous, and stating it as a precaution to other pet owners is one thing. It was totally unneccesary to be so graphic.

Hey...aren't you one of the same people who kept saying that they never tell us about any of the good news from Iraq?

Well, what about the bad news from Iraq, then? You want to see and hear about it in minute detail? Do you want a graphic account of exactly what happened to each and every soldier that's been killed?

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

No, actually I've never said anything about good news from Iraq because I don't believe there is any, especially since both of my nephews are over there and I receive 1st hand accounts of what's really going on bi-weekly in their emails or letters.

You just like to whine crazyks. Most of your posts are whiny in tone. Whine at someone else. People are tired of hearing the sniveling. Grow up, be an adult.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 2 months ago

Well, I apologize, acg.

I mistook you for one of those rah rah Bush supporters who think anything that goes on over there is okay, as long as the media doesn't show the bad stuff.

Out of sight out of mind? Hardly. I know lots of horrible things happen out in the world, and I've seen my fair share of them.

I just don't go out of my way to look at them, thank you. If you do, then you've got a bigger problem.

If adults were the only ones reading newspapers, maybe it wouldn't be a big deal to me, either. But they aren't.

Although it's not necessary to give graphic details just to report what happened.

Grow up, be an adult? Ha..good one. If we were all well-adjusted adults, we probably wouldn't be coming in here now, would we?

Just for the record, I don't go to see those slasher flicks. I don't like them. I don't care if I know it's fake, it's still gross and disturbing.

And if being "adult" means that I have to not mind (or even enjoy) reading about and seeing all the grisly details every time something horrible happens, then I'm never growing up.

Off to find Peter Pan now. He made more sense than some of you guys.