Four Kansas University buildings were temporarily evacuated over the noon hour today.
Haworth Hall, Robinson Gymnasium, the Dole Center and the Hall Center for the Humanities were cleared over fears of a natural gas odor. Students and faculty also exited neighboring buildings, but it was unclear if they were also evacuated.
"We were just sitting in class and the fire alarm went off," said Laura Fearey, a student, who said the incident happened around 12:45 p.m.
Police and firefighters blocked off traffic to the hall, but reopened at 1:10 p.m.
Capt. Schulyer Bailey of KU Public Safety said utility crews were on site; no gas was found in the buildings, but a second check was planned.