Letters to the Editor

T adds much

December 27, 2007

To the editor:

Folks who portray the T as a form of welfare either don't understand the reality of the bus system or spread this portrayal to persuade others that the T should not be supported.

The reality is that the T is ridden by a broad range of people, including those from around the world who come to Kansas University without vehicles, young people not yet old enough to drive, those with cars who want to relax and save fuel, families out shopping or on an adventure, and many more too numerous to mention.

We should not underestimate the amount to which the T adds to the vitality of our community.

Roger Lee,

Lawrence

Comments

black_butterfly 6 years, 3 months ago

I own a car so I would not be affected if the T stopped running, but I can't help but think about the people who don't have cars and rely on it to go to work, shopping and to the doctor. There are also a lot of people who shouldn't be driving for other reasons. The T is needed but it should be on a smaller scale. I agree with other readers that I see more empty busses than I see even half full busses most of the time. THAT is a waste of the taxpayers money. It is also very irritating when they just stop dead in the right hand lane ( especially on 23rd st.) with very little warning. They might signal 15 seconds before stopping.

bennyoates 6 years, 3 months ago

Roger Lee is right but he emphasizes the value of the community. It's clear from this message board that there are too many people who care only about themselves and get their jollies from scapegoating the least powerful members of society.

I do commend Mr. Lee for saying something positive and true, however, despite the presence of scumbags represented to a "T" by Ramirez et al.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 3 months ago

Lincoln,Nebraska/Columbia,Mo/ Stillwater,Ok /Austin,Tx/ Ames,Iowa/Iowa City.Iowa/Burlington,Vt / all have public transportation. Public Transportation,Air,bus and train travel are subsidized with our tax dollars. All of the above are considered essential to economic growth.

Lawrence is now billed as a retirement community. Tourism is high on the list. Public Transportation again is essential.

Then again Wall Street,EXXON-Mobil,Chevron-Texaco,healthcare industry,military industrialized complex,nuke power,coal power,our streets,city hall and last but not least the failing home loan industry are all subsidized by our tax dollars in spite of deregulation. The free market is an illusion.

toefungus 6 years, 3 months ago

The T adds much to our tax load.

Wilbur_Nether 6 years, 3 months ago

gl0ck0wnr, I don't think you'll have to worry about it much longer. I suspect the T is on its last wheels.

gl0ck0wnr 6 years, 3 months ago

If the T is so valuable to the userbase, it should be easy to make it financially self-sufficient. I don't understand how one can argue, on one hand, that the T is a valuable addition to the community and a core service, yet, on the other hand, shouldn't be expected to be slef-sufficient.

Wilbur_Nether 6 years, 3 months ago

offtotheright, you just missed the point.

I wouldn't worry about it much, though, if I were you. I suspect the T is a dead bus driving.

offtotheright 6 years, 3 months ago

Well Roger, why don't you pay for it, so that I do not have to.