Letters to the Editor

Sweet defense

December 21, 2007

To the editor:

Last year an edict was declared in the schools, disallowing sweets from parties to improve our children's health and nutrition. The rule was loosely followed last year, but this year is supposed to be strictly adhered to. So for the "Winter Party," my three sons will be munching on tasty treats like fruit and veggies. No candy or cookies for them!

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. If the school system really wants to improve the health standards, take a look at what is being served for lunch. This week they had hot dogs, chicken alfredo, mozzarella sticks (fried, of course), pizza sticks, Italian dunkers and popcorn shrimp. And yet for THREE PARTIES A YEAR they can't have cookies and candy? Like that's going to make a difference?

And then gym. The kids participate in gym one to two times per week. In the '70s, I participated in gym every day.

According to the Institute of Medicine, childhood obesity has tripled over the last three decades. And I know the schools are being pushed to do what can be done to help with this problem. However, punishing children by not allowing sweets at parties seems hypocritical when unhealthy food is being served daily for lunch.

Bah humbug.

Tammy Yergey,

Lecompton

Comments

Richard Heckler 7 years, 5 months ago

Not to mention the junk food in vending machines. Eating healthy begins at home. Why not follow up support from our tax dollar supported school cafeterias?

coolmarv 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree that having sugary treats in moderation should be okay. What's a party without cake?They should offer healthy snacks along with the sweets maybe. Sometimes we just think too much. Who comes up with this stuff? Really!

SearchingForTruth 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree with the article as well. I believe that schools are more concerned with test scores and academic performance than fitness. Of course it has been proven time and time again that a good diet and exercise leads to better brain development and learning in youths. What's up with these school lunches? My kids take their own lunches to school.

marcdeveraux 7 years, 5 months ago

the schools are still serving food from the 60's time to dump the fried and go organic, it will save money in health care down the road.

valgrlku 7 years, 5 months ago

I, too, send a sack lunch to school with my child because of the abundance of unhealthy food available. I think that schools argue that there are "healthy choices available" every day (e.g. salads), but what kid (or adult, for that matter) would voluntary choose to have a salad instead of fried mozzerela sticks? The lunches (and breakfasts) offered today seem very different from when I ate hot lunch in elementary school - I don't ever remember having fried food (not to mention nachos!). Searchingfortruth is right on - more exercize and better food are best for everyone! How productive will our future citizens be, if they are overweight and unhealthy (and, no, I'm not putting the entire blame on the schools - the fact remains that school meals are often the only ones that some children may get during any given day)?

kappyblu 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree that it is frustrating to not have those yummy sugary goodies at holiday parties. I think the kids could be cut some slack at those three parties a year and have the treats.

The lunches however are better, though. Nothing at the elementary or junior highs are fried. Those mozzarella sticks are baked just like the french fries and breadsticks and other stuff. They have gotten rid of the little debbies, ice cream and the fried potato chips. The reason they offer all of those hot dogs and pizza sticks and such is because that is what kids like to eat. The food in school lunches have to follow the nutrition guidelines as well. Contact your child's cafeteria office for the nutrition information on the food. They will be more than happy to oblige.

honestone 7 years, 5 months ago

Last year when this was announced I remember a lot of posts regarding how silly this was in light of the childrens day-to-day eating habits. Why is it still in place?

Confrontation 7 years, 5 months ago

Hey Tammy, feel free to load your kids up with this garbage food every night at home. The schools should be applauded for at least making some effort, since most parents aren't.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 5 months ago

My child has every right to be a 4 foot tall, all-day-video-gaming, 200 pound tub of goo. Mind your own business!

Tammy Yergey 7 years, 5 months ago

Actually, Confrontation, I have an overweight child, but I also have 5 other average to thin kids. Trust me, the snacks at parties is not what made this child overweight. More likely it would be lack of exercise (I have to force him to go outside) and not knowing when to stop eating. All the kids eat the same food, one just doesn't stop unless I say so. But to make them all suffer at a school party? Ridiculous.

mick 7 years, 5 months ago

You think this is "ridiculous?" I'll tell you what's ridiculous- when you have to call Christmas "Winter Holiday."

storm 7 years, 5 months ago

What's wrong with tasty treats like fruits and veggies? People have parties all the time with those. I think it's a wonderful idea.

ForThePeople 7 years, 5 months ago

Well, I can attest to the fact that at my children's school, this is NOT being followed. Ultimately it's the parents providing treats for these parties and the parents choice as to what they are providing. As a room mother I've been very happy with the selection of snacks brought to the parties. The children have had both "healthy" and sweet treats to choose from and there have been no complaints. Personally I think parties should incorporate "treats" and that it's the day to day snacks that should be healthier. I believe most parents feel the same.

Kathy Getto 7 years, 5 months ago

ForthePeople - well said. Our school has had the healthy snack rule for kids for several years now. The kids still get to bring sweet treats for their birthday and it all works just fine.