Letters to the Editor

Healthy decision

December 12, 2007

To the editor:

The American College of Physicians on Dec. 3 in the "Annals of Internal Medicine" declared its support for universal health care. Your doctors know that it is right. Help us all do what is right. Support H.R. 676. Don't listen anymore to special interest groups who are only interested in profiting from not paying for your health care.

Dr. Marc Scarbrough,

Lawrence

Comments

Richard Heckler 7 years ago

Why should the health insurance and pharmaceutical industry and Wall Street make huge profits to fund political campaigns with their special interest money as a result of YOUR unfortunate health situation?

• How about those expensive prime time commercials?
  • How about those obscene salaries and "Golden Parachutes"?
  • Does anyone seriously support treating health care like a bottle of wine or can of soup on a retail shelf. *How about if the nation brings all human beings within our borders under one umbrella under a National Health Insurance Program which is not socialized medicine?
  • National Health Insurance would provide the care that is necessary to all not to mention providing care to our veterans instead of leaving them begging to the Department of Defense for care. National Health Insurance would open up the doors to new industry and keep our population more productive. No it won't be free however most all citizens will be paying at least something into the fund. Some contribution is better than no contribution.
  • Patients will be able to choose the doctor of choice rather than one from a "grocery" list. *HR 676 is the bill to support. It is also known as the Conyers-Kucinich Bill.

Richard Heckler 7 years ago

Kansas HealthCare For All supports HR 676.

Kansas HealthCare For All meets Jan 15, 2008

Feb 19, 2008

Mar 18, 2008

Apr 15, 2008

May 20, 2008

All are at 7 PM at the library. Some are in the auditorium , some in the gallery. Kansas HealthCare For All is comprised of citizens that represent a broad spectrum of the population. Feel free to join us.

Dr. David Goering M.D. is the current sitting chair person.

Kathy Getto 7 years ago

Everyone should have the same care Cheney receives whether they can afford to pay or not.

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years ago

Sounds interesting. I like what I've read so far on the HR676 website.

What are the drawbacks? How much will it raise taxes? The website doesn't say.

blackwalnut 7 years ago

Dennis Kucinich is the only candidate whose plan for health care is universal health care with a single payer.

Kucinich just won a national poll. Kucinich has come in #1 in three national polls, and two ABC News post-debate polls. He came in #2 in California.

The media want you to think he is unelectable so they either blacklist him or attempt to demean him. He is the only one who is consistently correct on every issue.

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years ago

Marc,

My family and I most definitely plan on "profiting from not paying for your health care." That's because I want to keep the money I have earned and not hand it over to the government to redistribute to you and your special interest groups.

kneejerkreaction 7 years ago

I wonder why a physician's group would advocate socialized medicine? Must be in their best interests. And I don't buy the "your doctor knows it's right" for a second.

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years ago

No, Defender. It's just that it's not the government's role to be "compassionate" with our taxes.

akt2 7 years ago

Health insurance can be affordable if you shop around. Prices vary greatly from company to company. Of course it takes the effort to find the right policy, and then it takes the effort to get off your butt and go to work to pay for the policy. I don't need the government or my employer to provide insurance. I'm an informed consumer that can make my own choices regarding health insurance.

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

The Paulistinians & the Kucinichers need to get together to form a third party. Let 'em wrestle in creamed corn to see who is going to run for President & who runs as VP.

staff04 7 years ago

STRS, you've already announced that you have no intentions of being "compassionate" with it...that doesn't really negate the point that Defender was making...that you and the rest of the "compassionate conservatives" are really the antithesis of compassion.

staff04 7 years ago

Oh, and I don't like H.R. 676 because it makes it illegal for me to privately buy insurance that duplicates the benefits of the national plan. It basically says that insurers cannot compete with the government plan, which I think would ultimately hold healthcare costs at an artificially high level. I think the best way to lower healthcare costs is to encourage them to compete with the government for the business. Under H.R. 676, private insurance would be available for purchase, but then only insurance for "benefits that are not medically necessary, such as cosmetic surgery benefits."

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

Those people who have no compassion for people who are hard working, but don't have money for health insurance probably have plenty of money invested in drug and for profit hospitals. The profit is more important than the people. Do you think your insurance company is concerned with your health? They want your money. If you get very sick, they will look for ways to get rid of you. Drug companies should not be allowed to spend huge amounts of money on their irritating TV and magazine ads. That money could be put into R&D or in lowering prices. Don't you get tired of paying for their PR? You're willing to pay for that, but not help people who are sick?

InsuranceTeaseDOTcom 7 years ago

You know what you call someone who keeps trying the same thing, over and over again and expecting a different result? INSANE! Voting for a front runner at this time would also be insane, and for the same reason.

None of the front runner republican or democrat candidates is offering anything different than what we've had for the last 16 years. But Kucinich is different. He has demonstrated that he is thoughtful in his decision making process. He examined the evidence before voting on going to war, and voted against it. He has never voted to fund it. He voted against the Patriot act. And now the other candidates are saying that they are against the war, that they are against the Patriot act, yet they voted for it.

All of the detractors who have responded before me are devoid of any real reason, forethought or argument. My vote for Dennis Kucinich may not result in a president that I want, but I will have done the right thing. I will not vote for a front runner because some poll somewhere says that this person or that person is electable. I vote for whom I believe is actually the best person. The rest of you are sheep. And if the sheep win we all go to slaughter. Kucinich 2008

InsuranceTeaseDOTcom 7 years ago

Just a bit of logic here to straighten all you supposedly educated nuts out there. When you pay your insurance premiums, and your taxes, don't you think that the reason they are so high is because the poor who go to the emergency room cost something? And since they DO get treated that cost has to pass onto you! So by thinking the way you are you actually cost yourself more money. That's brilliant! Sheep.... baaaa!

HR 676 will reduce cost for everyone, including Republicans. It will cover everyone, including Democrats. Private insurance will still exist, but will be prohibited from covering what HR 676 has covered and will be available at a premium rate. But people who vote for any front runner candidate should have to pay more, just for being sheep. Baaaa!

Tammy Yergey 7 years ago

akt2 - so you don't even want your employer paying your insurance? Wow. I don't know what kind of plan you have, but must be a good one. I'd like to know. I currently pay $3842 a year for premiums (my employer pays an additional $15,360 a year). And my family out of pocket this year was still an additional $2500. Tell me how that is affordable.

InsuranceTeaseDOTcom 7 years ago

Horsegirl - You are a primary example of why we need HR 676. You can download the .PDF on the bill at our website at www.InsuranceTease.com on the act now page. It is an easy document to understand. Even akt2 could understand it. Well... I am assuming he wrote his own message.

mscarbrough 7 years ago

We pay enough into our current medical system to pay for universal health care. Unfortunately, most of that money is wasted on underwriting, marketing, denying care, processing, and paperwork.

If we shifted what we pay for health care currently into a single payer system, we could pay for universal health care. Another blogger (from Dec 11) commented that from Wikipedia, the gov't "pays for 44% of health care." This, however, does not include federal workers who receive care outside of the VA system --the govt pays for standard insurance for them...(EPA, FBI, OSHA, etc) Right now, your tax dollars pay for 60% of all health care that is provided. We ALREADY pay enough taxes for this to happen.

We just have to have the political will to make this happen.

Staff04--if you allow private insurance to exist for standard care, the barganing and "quantity discount" that is afforded from group pricing is lost. Also, the insurance companies "cherry pick" healthy people, thus driving up the cost.

Why not have one payer pay one amount for standard procedures and have doctors and providers compete for patients based on quality of services provided?

STRS--it's not my "special interests" who are getting the money, OUR money (the tax payers' money that is) The American College of Physicians are YOUR Internal Medicne doctors...the special interests are the for-profit insurance companies, drug companies benefiting from tax breaks, underwriters, all siphoning off money that should be spent on CARING FOR PATIENTS. You are right, though...your doctors do have something to gain from this: freedom from having to spend hours and hours of time fighting nonmedical profit-driven bureaucrats to get your care paid for!!! Freedom from having to pay people to fight insurance companies to justify providing care that our patients deserve and medicines that they need!

Merrill, you are right on.

akt2 7 years ago

You can find better or comparable policies to what your employer offers, for less money. And with less restrictions as to what physicians, and hospitals you are entitled to use. I have figured how much it would cost to ensure my family thru my employer (I work for a health care provider), I have figured it thru my spouse's employer, and I have priced coverage thru other insurance companies as a private individual buying insurance. I find the latter to be the most cost effective.

average 7 years ago

akt2 -

This is true (I have private insurance myself), but if, and only if, you have no pre-existing conditions at all. Try and buy insurance and mention on the enrollment that you once had a heart murmur or were diagnosed with depression at one point. You won't get insurance at all.

InsuranceTeaseDOTcom 7 years ago

akt2 - Don't give up on your argument dude! You had them on the ropes, they were gonna go down.

So, let's work on your argument here, (just playing devil's advocate). So as I best understand the opposing argument, it centers on three points, A) A free market system is always best for the people at large. B) A free market system provides more choices and the market, (AKA people paying for the product) get to decide what is best. And C) socialist systems are bad.

A) There is no empirical evidence to show that a free market society is always best for the people at large, unless you think that the large refers to waist lines. Point mine.

B) The choices provided by the for-profit health care system is full of labyrinthine information that calls upon a would be patient to be clairvoyant about what their future health care needs will be. Furthermore, most of the public is not educated enough to understand the nature of medical management or what their options mean. Also my point.

C) Socialized medicine (as some would call it) works better in 36 countries whose health care system is ranked better than our own by the World Health Organization. (Ours has been ranked 37th by the WHO. I know, we put it on our T-shirts!)

Too bad about your argument, akt2. But it would be even worse if you won.

akt2 7 years ago

In the first place I am a woman. That alone explains my ability to know what is best for my family. And as I said before, I work for a health care provider. I know more about managed healthcare costs, and the cost of medical care than most people will ever dream of knowing. I see first hand the amount of hand outs our government gives. I'm just saying that you don't have to settle for some HMO group thru an employer. There are plenty of options. And you can't expect the government to take care of your family. You better figure out a way to do it.

InsuranceTeaseDOTcom 7 years ago

Akt2 My apologies. I did not mean to offend. And on that note I would like to say for the record that I know these discussions get heated on line. Probably much more so when people don't have to face one another. So, let me be the first to say that it was never my intention to cause ill feelings.

Now then, as to your statement, "There are plenty of options. And you can't expect the government to take care of your family. You better figure out a way to do it." This is easy for you to say since you pointed out, ":I work for a health care provider. I know more about managed healthcare costs, and the cost of medical care than most people will ever dream of knowing:" which just points out my statement from my previous post ":most of the public is not educated enough to understand the nature of medical management or what their options mean:" And as for the government taking care of people, what we (those of us calling for HR 676) want is for the government to stop the abuse of the public at the hands of the for-profit health care system. People are having their good claims dropped and are being made uninsurable because of the insurance companies thirst for profit. It's not about the patient anymore! It's about the $, and that has got to stop.

akt2 7 years ago

No offense taken. Terminal illness is the worst possible thing that can happen to a person and their family. If universal health care would make it better for these patients, I might give it some thought. But I don't think we need universal health for things like office visits or routine outpatient tests. There is already a shortage of physicians in this area. The wait times are long, and you are lucky if you can get an appointment when you do need one.

InsuranceTeaseDOTcom 7 years ago

If you go to our website at www.InsuranceTease.com and go to the 'Act Now' tab, on that page you will find that you can download the HR 676 bill, and at the bottom of the page you can watch Dennis Kucinich speak via a YouTube video. And yes, the bill would definately help the terminally ill. As for your waiting lines, if there is a segment of society left out of access your lines now are actually shorter than what they could be, I hear your fear. So we must also increase our supply of medical support. But with your current attitude you would choose to serve only those able to pay, not all that deserve treatment.