Archive for Monday, December 10, 2007

Lawrence and several area schools cancel Tuesday classes

December 10, 2007, 11:18 a.m. Updated December 10, 2007, 11:46 p.m.

Icy winter weather is expected to cause closings and cancellations around northeast Kansas today.

Schools

Lawrence public schools will cancel classes Tuesday.

Also canceling school Tuesday are Oskaloosa USD 341, Tonganoxie USD 464, West Franklin USD 287, Central Heights USD 288, Wellsville USD 289, Ottawa USD 290, Baldwin USD 348, Paola USD 368, Garnett USD 365, Osawatomie USD 367, Louisburg USD 416, Perry-Lecompton USD 343, Eudora public schools USD 491, Basehor-Linwood USD 458, McLouth USD 342, Corpus Christi, St. John's, Community Children's Center Head Start, Raintree Montessori, Princeton's Children Center, Veritas Christian School, Sunshine Acres Montessori, Montessori Children's House, Bishop Seabury Academy, Brookcreek Learning Center, Kids First and Discovery Day Parents Day Out, Montessori Discovery Center, Century School, Prairie Moon School, Green Pastures Preschool, Giving Tree Preschool, and Stepping Stone Child Care Center.

Sunflower Elementary's after-school homework program, Eagle Watch, is canceled today.

The LHS Choral Concert scheduled for tonight has been canceled.

The Strategic Education Center has canceled all tutoring sessions for today, due to a heating system malfunction.

Due to the threat of inclement weather the All-City Junior High Jazz Band rehearsal at Free State High School has been canceled.

USD 341, Oskaloosa School District has canceled all evening activities.

This afternoon Waukarusa Valley Elementary's After-School program is canceled. For tomorrow, the Waka Wolf Watch after-school care program meeting has been canceled.

Both Free State Girls' Camp; Boys' sophomore basketball games scheduled for this evening have been canceled. The boys' game is rescheduled for January 12. No date has been set for the girls' game yet.

The West Junior High 8th grade girls basketball game at Shawnee Heights has been canceled. It will be rescheduled for Thursday afternoon at Southwest Junior High School.

The West Junior High 9th grade girls basketball home game has been canceled. The make up game is pending.

Eudora Schools administrators have decided to cancel the following activities, due to the forecast for severe winter weather.

All activities normally concluding before 6 p.m., including athletics practices, after-school clubs and detentions, will take place as scheduled, unless weather and driving conditions become dangerous earlier than expected.

Community

Tonganoxie library will be closed on Tuesday.

Lawrence Meals on Wheels will not deliver on Tuesday

Douglas County District Court will be closed Tuesday

Douglas County Senior Services canceled meals, services, and transportation for Tuesday.

If Lawrence schools are closed tomorrow, the InterFaith Meeting will postpone its December meeting to January 08.

If the schools are open, the meeting will be held tomorrow, from 1 - 2:30 p.m. at at the Planning and Development Services offices of City Hall in the east corner of Riverfront Plaza.

Kansas Athletics has canceled the Bill Self Roundball Dinner scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Naismith Room at Allen Fieldhouse.

Ballard Community Center is closed Tuesday.

The Advent Tuesday Noonday Organ Recital at Trinity Lutheran Church (Lawrence) will be rescheduled for Thursday, Dec. 13th at 12:15 p.m.

Lawrence Arts Center: All children's classes canceled Tuesday; adult classes from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. canceled. A decision will be made by 1 p.m. for adult evening classes.

The event, hosted by the Williams Educational Fund, will be rescheduled in January. Should the new date conflict with schedules, those who have paid for the event will be refunded.

Douglas County Senior Services, Inc. has cancelled all programs, Meals and Transportation Services for Tuesday.

Trinity Lutheran Church: The Advent Tuesday Noonday Organ Recital is postponed and is rescheduled for Thursday, Dec. 13th at 12:15 p.m.

Tinas critters In Home Daycare will be closed Tuesday.

Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department facilities and programs will run as scheduled tonight, except for Youth Sports Basketball practices which have been cancelled. Also all morning classes will be canceled Tuesday.

All recreation and aquatic classes will be rescheduled and participants will be notified of the dates and times.

Lawrence Jazzercise cancels all Tuesday morning classes. A decision about afternoon classes will be ade by 3 p.m.

Independence, Inc. will be closed on Tuesday. Buses will not be running.

All Recreation facilities will also remain open this evening, Dec. 10, but will open to the public at 10 a.m. tomorrow morning, Dec. 11.

The Monday Evening Bible Study at St. Margaret's Episcopal Community Church is canceled this evening.

Community Works Christmas party planned for tonight at the Topeka Performing Arts Center is rescheduled to Thursday.

St. John's Catholic Church has canceled Monday Atrium sessions.

The Cookies & Cocoa - Reading Is Fun giveaway that was scheduled for 5 p.m. tonight at New York Elementary has been canceled.

The North Lawrence Improvement Association's 7 p.m. meeting tonight has been canceled due to the weather. It will be rescheduled later.

Compassionate Friends will not meet tonight. They usually meet at 7 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church.

The Four Leaf Clover 4-H Club Christmas party and meeting that was scheduled for 6:30 p.m. tonight has been canceled.

Tonganoxie Public Library closing at 5:30 p.m. today.

Lawrence Gymnastics and Athletics is canceling all classes and team practices in both East and West gyms after 6 p.m.

Lawrence Public Library will be closing at 6 p.m. today.

The Strategic Education Center has cancelled all tutoring sessions for today, due to a heating system malfunction.

If you have an event that is canceled, e-mail it to editor@ljworld.com or call 832-6303.

Comments

angelkids 7 years ago

Any one know if they will close school tomorrow?

booze_buds_03 7 years ago

I assume that will be decided when if and how bad this ice storm figures to be.

ksdivakat 7 years ago

Are we gonna get it this time or is it gonna slide a little more south of us?? They will make the decision in the morning as to close school or not and if weissman can get to school then they wont close it.

DRsmith 7 years ago

If it pans out like they say there is no doubt school will be closed.

Adrienne Sanders 7 years ago

This is crazy... people are closing things before anything has happened. Everybody panic!

booze_buds_03 7 years ago

Correct dulcinea47-It is called planning ahead.

booze_buds_03 7 years ago

TOB-Could you update us as to where you find this update report?

Adrienne Sanders 7 years ago

Having supplies (food, flashlights, etc.) in the house is planning ahead. Cancelling things b/c of something that might happen is overreacting. If there's something scheduled for 5PM tonight, why not let people use their judgment and see what the weather looks like towards that time, instead of canceling it at noon? Oh wait, it's b/c people aren't capable of using good judgment and someone will get in a wreck and sue someone and it's easier just to cancel things. [rolling eyes].

ksdivakat 7 years ago

Has anyone heard from TOB yet as to the significant change?? I couldnt find anything on the weather channel or on weather.gov, and by the way, whos panicking?? But you do have to plan ahead, and if that means closing things so that kids and the elderly wont be out in it then so be it. Usually they mess around to much and wait until its to late to do anything, Id much rather know up front than to be to late.

DRsmith 7 years ago

The update really didn't change that much...just reinforced what was said earlier...did have some updated maps.

hs_reader 7 years ago

It's not like the school district hasn't cancelled school before because we "might" have bad weather the next day. They did that just last year and I don't think the weather had as much possiblility to be dangerous. The cancellations by the school are for the students safety, they don't want to risk a student walking home after an event in bad weather, and that has nothing to do with the students judgement. And yes I'm sure the district also takes into account that they could be held liable for a student getting injured.

Adrienne Sanders 7 years ago

Wasn't the cancellation last year where they were predicting bad weather that never hit simply a reaction to earlier last year, when they couldn't decide to cancel school or not and then they cancelled it at the very last minute and all the parents were p*ssed?

[quote]also contemplating making major changes to the areas which will receive the greatest ice[/quote]

I love this... who's contemplating these changes? The gods? ;)

a_flock_of_jayhawks 7 years ago

Slight increase in the amount of precip from the morning forecast. Radar shows a band of showers that passed the Wichita area about 20 minutes ago that could be in the Lawrence area as early as 4:30pm today.

hilary 7 years ago

Cancelling school has a great deal to do with Laidlaw, our yellow bus company. They speak with Weseman before he makes the call. I anticipate they will try to make a decision before 10 pm tonight, depending on the actual freezing rain accumulation.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 7 years ago

Whatever you do, if there are major power outages, do not bring your grills into your garage. The CO can kill you and the heat and flames can set your house on fire.

acg 7 years ago

I dig the fact that the pleasant hill forecast used the word copious. There will be copious amounts of moisture, everyone, just be aware!

badger 7 years ago

dulcinea, they cancel five hours ahead of time so that people have time to find out and make other plans.

If you think you might have to cancel an After-School or childcare program, you are best to do so at the first hint that you might need to, because those parents need time to find a sitter, take off from work, or call a neighbor. Same with basketball games and extracurricular activities. If your kid had been staying at school till his 7pm bball game and you were picking him up at 10 after you got off your 2nd shift job, and now he needs a ride, that may mean taking your meal break at a different time so you can go pick him up and take him home, or it may mean calling a friend to go get him.

These things, basketball games and improvement meetings and church services, they'll keep until they can be rescheduled, but the headache of calling off a 7pm ballgame at 5 can cause real problems for people. People don't need to be scrambling, last-minute, in the ice, to deal with this stuff if folks look at the weather six hours ahead of time and think, "There's a better-than-even-chance we'll be cancelling..."

It's not necessarily about people using bad judgment and getting in a wreck and suing. It's also about recognizing that in addition to not having the time to whinge around all day on the ljw complaining about the cancellations of events you probably weren't planning to attend anyway, people also may have jobs and other obligations that keep them from being able to effectively reschedule on an hour's notice.

I've had work called three days in advance down here. When Rita's path threatened to come through Austin with gale-force winds and massive rain, my job told me on Tuesday to plan to leave early on Friday, and amped up hours and production to cover the possibility that we wouldn't be able to get back in on Monday. Luckily for us, Rita shifted course and management said, "Hey, you worked so hard on prep, take the afternoon off anyway," but if the storm had held its course and nailed us, we sure would have been glad to ship our chips a day early and not lose the revenue.

SpeedRacer 7 years ago

There are 500,000 people without power in Oklahoma from the storm headed our way. Judging from the amount of time it took the storm to reach Wichita from the Oklahoma border, it will still be 3 or 4 hours before it gets to us.

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

acg, I was going to say that too! Copious - sounds like a Katie Horner word!

Does she say we will die if it is ice, or just tornadoes?

saxplayer24 7 years ago

The only thing you people haven't thought of it is FINALS week at KU and if the storm does it tonight the finals will be rescheduled for the first week we return from classes.

weatherguy48 7 years ago

I'm a driver for a pizza place...I'm gonna have some FUN!

Hug_It_Out 7 years ago

KU will only close down if the Chancellor's tongue is stuck to a pole.

Laura Watkins 7 years ago

oh god, hilarious. thanks hug-it-out for making me laugh!

Hug_It_Out 7 years ago

LOL!!! I love it!! My kids and I have watched that movie over 10 times already since December 1st!!

Chris Bohling 7 years ago

BTW, the only way KU closes down is if the KU buses can't drive up the hill. This might be it, but I really hope it's not. I don't want to have to worry about finals coming back from break.

rocknrow2 7 years ago

Hey folks another link to view the storms is www.wundergound.com click on Nexrad Radar then a city close to your area of Kansas you wish to view. It will show you just where the ice storm is and if you set the speed to medium and the frames to 6 you can review where the storm is and where it's headed. :-) stay safe!

mom_of_three 7 years ago

This might have been covered, but the reason the schools cancel their activities is because if the storm hits during the band concert, there won't be hundreds of people stuck out in the storm, trying to get home or an 8th grade basketball team bus trying to negotiate the roads.

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

tod

today is a good day for this Baj...so stop whinging about others' whinging:

whinge

Definition list of 6 items Main Entry: = whinge Listen to the pronunciation of whinge Pronunciation: = 'hwinj, 'winj Function: = intransitive verb Inflected Form(s): = whinged; whinging or whingeing Etymology: = Middle English *whingen, from Old English hwinsian; akin to Old High German winson to moan Date: = 12th century list end British : to complain fretfully : whine - whinge noun British Learn more about "whinge" and related topics at Britannica.com

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

sorry, that last segment brought to you by: www.m-w.com just to be upright and proper...wound't want somebody whinging about my posting.

ksmom 7 years ago

Hey everybody in Lawrence. Guess I should change my username to ncmom. We are here in North Carolina. At 7:22 p.m., it is 70 degree's. It got up to 79. I'm keeping all of you in my thoughts. Wish I could send you all a little warmth.

alm77 7 years ago

Well, my kids are celebrating.

justforfun 7 years ago

Just got back from Topeka and the roads are getting bad! Way to go USD 497 you actually called off school at a time of day that people can make plans!!

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years ago

my 7 year old already did her homework so she is bummed, and happy at the same time.

booze_buds_03 7 years ago

Wow getting icy quick! Any guesses on when we have a power failure???

alm77 7 years ago

bb03 - probably after we're all in bed and then wake up to realize we're freezing our buns off!! We've got our wood stacked up close to the fireplace and plenty of no-cooking-necessary food on hand. Plus flashlights and candles. Hope that's enough.

simplyamazed 7 years ago

I am glad they finally are using some common sense. When my daughter was in school it seemed like it was between 5:00 & 6:00 am before they would call off school. Oh well, I hate the ice but since I am in the Snow and Ice Removal business it is pure green to my pocket. Anyone need help? Let me know before midnight and I will have you on the list for tonight so you can stay warm and cozy yet be able to leave tomorrow.

Ian Sotomayor 7 years ago

I guess this time I won't be able to pull the old " Oh kids I won't know till the morning.. bedtime as usual." Oh well!

compmd 7 years ago

I've got the genny gassed up and the UPS batteries charged. Bring it on, mother nature. Movies and egg nog at compmd's place if the power goes out. Oh yeah, and heat.

Tina Amour 7 years ago

I'm glad they made the decision tonight also. I run a Daycare so it's a tough call at 6am.

booze_buds_03 7 years ago

I have about a quarter inch of ice on my sidewalks. Coming down hard, but not all turning to ice, a lot of rain as well.

alm77 7 years ago

spy, what part of town? We're on the west side north of 6th, and its raining plenty, but quietly.

tyger_lily 7 years ago

Basehor-Linwood USD 458 has cancelled school for Tuesday. We just got our phone call. :D

ljworldsubscriber 7 years ago

Saturday I noticed the balcony door to one of the "lofts" on the 4th floor of the Hobbs-Taylor building was standing wide open. Sunday I noticed that it was still standing wide open so I called the police. Well, today they're still standing wide open and I bet somebody will wish this rain, freezing or not, had been cancelled.

chemegirlie 7 years ago

anybody see this updated ice warning? You have to scroll down to the 7:31pm warning "IF YOU LEAVE THE SAFETY OF BEING INDOORS...YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK."

yankeelady 7 years ago

It's like the warning on a cup of coffee "content may be hot"

Please_note 7 years ago

I just walked from Tennessee to Watson Library and got soaked in icy sludge. I had to walk on the street because I would have fallen on my face on the sidewalk. If I can't get up a hill, how can a bus? Is salt enough? Even though I hear KU hasn't cancelled finals in somewhere near 35 years, I'm crossing my fingers. I wish they'd call it before 6 am though, I need sleep! I guess we'll see.

KUxSW 7 years ago

What about KU students who graduated this weekend? Can't exactly come back to take finals in January, can we?

saxplayer24 7 years ago

Anybody want to guess on when the first Johnson County 'I'm a sorority girl who drives an SUV with no idea how to use it' wreck'll be? I'm going with 1030 tonight.

jayneway 7 years ago

Raining darn steady on the West side. Seems colder too.

chemegirlie 7 years ago

saxplayer24-

Yeah, a couple of years ago, that "girl" was the one that ran through a stop sign and nearly totaled my car. she "thought I also had a stop sign also and was having trouble stopping so she went on through" I was headed north at 13th and Kentucky. No stop signs on Kentucky within several blocks.

She was also terrified since "her mom had just bought her that jeep liberty!" It was complete with her sorority sicker on the back window.

jayneway 7 years ago

dang, seems too warm. I think we're going to be taking tests tomorrow after all. KC reporting roads are clear.

KUxSW 7 years ago

Not that the world would end, i_g_w, but curious how the university would handle that. Nothing in their press had said anything.

Jayneway's got the right idea, anyway. Just stepped outside and it doesn't seem to be freezing.

yanon 7 years ago

I stepped outside and nearly fell, my porch is encased in ice. I hear the KU stadium from my house, so I'm guessing it's pretty icy there too.