Archive for Friday, August 24, 2007

Acts of kindness

August 24, 2007

To the editor:

Frequently, I find myself in awe of the richness of the life I lead here in Lawrence. I find myself dazzled by the kindness of our residents. The events I experienced in just one week reaffirmed my belief that Lawrence is the BEST place to live.

On a hot afternoon, I received a call from a friend who spotted my daughter's stalled car on Sixth Street between Kentucky and Vermont. She recognized my very pregnant daughter and her son, who's almost 1 year old. I stopped to see if they needed help. Maggie and her son were fine thanks to the kindness of strangers. Apparently, one car and a camper full of free-spirited travelers had stopped to help push the car out of the road. Another woman who had stopped and volunteered to go get a couple of gallons of gas was also assisting. She not only returned with the gas but had cool drinks for both Maggie and the baby. My help was not needed thanks to the generous kindness of these strangers.

Later, that same week, I lost my Palm Pilot. I retraced my steps and could not locate it. The next day I receive a call from a gentleman who had found it. Frank Hynes, graciously delivered it to my mailbox, with the cash still in it, and declined a reward.

Again, my life was made simpler and richer from the kindness of strangers. I will be paying it forward.

Thank you, my friendly Lawrencians!

Ann Beedles,

Lawrence

Comments

just_thinking 6 years, 8 months ago

YOU PEOPLE THINK THERE IS RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS IN TOWN? HECK IT'S THE TOWNS PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO TAKE MY FARMLAND AND HOUSE DUE TO THE STUPID S.L.T..

DO YOU WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THESE BIRDBRAIN COLLEGE STUDENTS THAT CAME TO MY FARM AT 2:30A.M.?

THEY WERE SNEAKING AROUND AND I CAUGHT THEM AND HELD THEM UP WITH THE SHOTGUN TILL THE SHERRIF ARRIVED -SO THERE..........

YOU CITY PEOPLE THINK THE TOWN IS AWESOME AND THAT NOTHING GOES WRONG ,B.S.

COME OUT TO THE COUNTRY AND CATCH SOME BIRDBRAINS SNOOPING AROUND AND TRYING TO STEAL THINGS AND EVEN MY FARMALL TRACTOR HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY WERE LUCK I GOT TO THEM BEFORE MY ROTWEILLERS DID HE HE HE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silence_Dogood 6 years, 8 months ago

Hmm. I don't see random acts of kindness committed in Lawrence. In places outside of Kansas, I do--but this place is full of rude, self-centered, "Culture of Me" a-holes.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 8 months ago

I've had worse. Sometime I'll tell you about my Boy Scout days and getting kidnapped by a grizzly bear and living as his wife for a decade.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 8 months ago

Gosh Kneejerk I have had bad days but that sounds awful.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 8 months ago

I was sitting at home one evening and heard a knock on the door. I could see a man and a woman standing there, but I asked who it was without opening the door (you never know these days) and they said, "we found your wallet". I opened the door as I suddenly remembered I hadn't lost my wallet. I was staring down the barrels of two large caliber handguns. They tied me up and threw me into the trunk of their car while they ransacked my house for 4 hours. Then they drove me into the country, stripped me naked and laughed uproariously as they drove away, spinning their tires and covering me with dust. I was picked up by the police and thrown into jail for nudity. At my trial, the judge said he simply didn't believe me. I spent 6 months in the county jail. SInce my tragedy I have turned to a life of crime. Thanks Lawrence, paying it forward.

Tom Miller 6 years, 8 months ago

mom of three, that does not surprise me in the least about your encounter with Bucklin...I've been in and around that sleepy little town since 1973, and I've not been anywhere in my rather extensive travels that compares to the general benevolence I've found to be prevelant in that little town of some 700+ good souls...like a desert oasis in a world full of insensitivity...they truly care about their fellow humans, and that's so rare...and, personally being an adherent to the "butterfly effect" philosophy, yes, the little things make all the difference in the world, often times in the most delightfully unexpected ways...fun to watch!

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

I learned the lesson a long time ago. My baby sister stopped breathing on a road trip to Dodge City, and many people helped us out that day, as the town of Bucklin took me, my sister and our horses in for the night when my parents were busy with her situation. Our family didn't ask, but the people at the small hospital made calls to help us out. It's been over 30 years ago, and I have never forgotten.

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

little things you do in a day can make a big difference

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

I definitely won't equate "acts of kindness" with "living in Lawrence." These acts of kindness take place all over the world. You just have to hope that it's the nice person, rather than the thief, who gets to your wallet first. For most of us, if feels great to help someone who could easily have been taken advantage of by someone else. I was lucky to be raised by a mom who showed this type of behavior. Too many kids get their lazy and criminal behaviors from horrible parents. Forced sterilization, anyone?

logicsound04 6 years, 8 months ago

Summers_Eve,

Get lost troll.

============================== On the subject at hand...

It's always nice to hear about a story like this with all the other BS that goes on in the world.

I just moved to Overland Park and last week, I accidentally left my passenger side car door unlocked in the parking lot of my apartment complex. When I came outside the next morning, I saw that the center console (between the front seats) was wide open and the things inside (a pair of winter gloves, some car window wipes) were strewn about the inside of my car.

I also happen to keep my nickels, dimes, and quarters in one of my cup holders for easy access. That cup holder--which had been full--was nearly empty, and there was stray change on the floor and passenger seat.

It was pretty obvious that some a-hole had been perusing the parking lot, looking for an unlocked car with valuables inside and decided to take what he could get. Having lived in Lawrence for so many years, it was quite a wake-up call to the difference between Lawrence and the city.

I'm just glad I had remembered to bring my iPod inside that night.

acquarius 6 years, 8 months ago

Getting back to the topic of the article (and away from issues about who carries cash and why-Nobody's business).....I have always known that one act of kindess to someone else usually brings it back my way two fold. IHelping people is self help and the simpliest way to make us feel good when there is so much destruction and evil and the world today. Glad someone takes the time to appreciate and recognize it

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 8 months ago

Deal in cash only, baby. I don't want my money tied up when the bank locks it's doors one day.

lunacydetector 6 years, 8 months ago

i know someone who moved back to lawrence from new york city. the day they moved they had to leave on a business trip for 2 weeks. they jammed ALL of their belongings into their car and left it parked in a parking garage in new york city for 2 weeks. when they returned, the car was untouched. they then made the trip back to lawrence. the night they arrived in lawrence they decided to leave their belongings inside their car and unpack the next day, since it was lawrence it should be safe. they left the car in front of their new apartment. the next morning, they went to their car and found that someone had broken into it and stole everything they owned.

oh happy day.

imastinker 6 years, 8 months ago

summers eve - some people pay for things with cash.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 8 months ago

A while back, I woke up to find that somebody slashed one of my car tires. I called the police and a squad car arrived within minutes to file a report. I mentioned to the officer that I had no idea who or why anyone would do this to my car. I was worried that I was targeted. He said I shouldn't take it personally because several other people in the neighborhood also had their car tires slashed the night before. I found that to be comforting. Thank you Mr. Policeman.

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

The wallet had over $800 in cash in it:." -Defender From Summers_eve "The only other person I've ever known to have that much cash in their wallet was a dope dealer."

Was that even a necessary comment?? And some people do cash their payroll checks from time to time.

Summers_Eve 6 years, 8 months ago

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 8 months ago

One time I got a jug O Copperhead at Free State and for whatever reason, it spontaneously expolded as I was walking on the sidewalk. Cleaned my mess up, went back in to buy another and the bartender guy asked why I was back and I told my tale of woe. Bartender dude set me up with a free jug and refused the tip since I tipped the first time. So, thank you bartender man.

chemegirlie 6 years, 8 months ago

Wednesday, I went to one of my classes and a girl I didn't know told me that a there was one copy of the book we need for class left in the reading room across the hall and got up to show me exactly were it was so I would have time to grab it before class. Then, when I pulled into the driveway of my boyfriend's townhouse, his neighbor had brought his trash can up from the curb to in front of his garage and was watering the bushes out by his sidewalk. I was really impressed by the kindness shown that day.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

I also had someone return a lost wallet to me and my best friend lost her purse in the parking lot of Hillcrest and later that night a man called her to let her know he had it. There are truly a lot of honest, good people around here.

Defender 6 years, 8 months ago

Years ago I was sitting in my apartment one afternoon when there was a knock at the door. I looked through the peephole but didn't recognize the couple at the door. I opened the door figuring I was going to be solicited but the man asked my name, and I verified he was correct. He then handed me my wallet which he had found lying in the street. I had gotten some fast food at a drive thru, and had placed my wallet in my lap when I drove away. When I parked on the street in front of my apartment, I got out of the car and forgot about my wallet on my lap, and it fell to the ground. The wallet had over $800 in cash in it, and not a single solitary dollar was missing. Wow, how honest and kind can you get?

blue73harley 6 years, 8 months ago

A couple of years ago, rushing around, doing errands, I accidentally left my wallet laying on the front seat of my unlocked truck. Realizing this some fifteen minutes later, I rushed back to my truck and found everything undisturbed. I remember having two thoughts at the time. You are a careless idiot was first. Then, thank God I live in Lawrence. I'm well aware bad things happen here too but not so much...

Great LTE for a Friday.