Archive for Thursday, August 23, 2007

Bush vows to continue fight in Iraq

August 23, 2007

President Bush gestures during a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convention. Bush was in Kansas City, Mo., on Wednesday to talk to the group.

President Bush delivered a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convention Wednesday in Kansas City, Mo. Bush was the most warmly greeted speaker of the week of the convention that brought presidential candidates Sens. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John McCain, among others. See stories on the speech and how Kansas representatives want change in Iraq on Page 7A.

— President Bush resurrected Vietnam's agonizing legacy Wednesday, vowing to fight on indefinitely in Iraq to avoid the bloodbath he predicted would follow a U.S. withdrawal without victory.

"Then, as now, people argued the real problem was America's presence and that if we would just withdraw, the killing would end," Bush reminded listeners in a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars convention.

"As long as I am commander in chief, we will fight to win," he vowed to cheers and applause.

Bush also dialed back on earlier remarks widely perceived as signaling lukewarm support for embattled Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. He called Maliki "a good guy, a good man with a difficult job, and I support him."

The VFW speech was the first of two major Bush addresses aimed at setting the tone for congressional debate after Gen. David Petraeus, the Iraq commander, gives a progress report next month.

A Republican source said White House strategists, believing anti-war Democrats will liken Iraq to the Vietnam War "quagmire," launched a pre-emptive strike "to inoculate Bush."

In his remarks, Bush drew lengthy historical parallels to earlier wars that were sure to be questioned. He said the U.S. commitment to freedom in World War II and Korea spread democracy in Asia and set an example that could be emulated in today's Mideast. He also dwelled on the aftermath of Vietnam's fall to the communists in 1975.

"The price of America's withdrawal was paid by millions of innocent citizens whose agonies would add to our vocabulary new terms like 'boat people,' 're-education camps' and 'killing fields,"' Bush said.

To bolster his argument, Bush cited a quote from Osama bin Laden: "The American people had risen against their government's war in Vietnam. And they must do the same today."

Unlike in Vietnam, however, "If we withdraw before the job is done, this enemy will follow us home," Bush said.

Bush's Vietnam-Iraq analogy had some vets in the audience shaking their heads.

"The enemy was fighting to unite the country" in Vietnam, said Hermann Carroll, 64, of Farmingdale, N.Y., who served there as a specialist with the Army's 1st Logistics Command. "In Iraq, they're tearing it apart. It's a civil war. ... This Shia-Sunni fight has been going on for centuries."

Harry Wurth, 80, of Albertson, N.Y., questioned Bush's contention that democracy could flower in the Mideast like it did in Japan after World War II.

"I don't think that analogy is quite correct," said Wurth, a Navy seaman who served on the carrier Belleau Wood in the Pacific.

Others backed the commander in chief. "Yes, I absolutely agree with Bush," said Harry Sherblom, 62, of Brewster, N.Y., a Marine corporal with the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment who did two tours in Vietnam.

Despite their political differences, the vets interviewed after the speech stressed their support for the troops, along with hopes that victory can be salvaged.

"If we pull out (of Iraq), people over there are going to die," said Arthur Hanley, 58, who served with the Army's Americal Division in Vietnam in 1970-71.

In Washington, Democrats who have urged timetables for Iraq withdrawals ridiculed Bush's Vietnam comparison and warned of a confrontation when Congress reconvenes next month, although they have backed off on further attempts to cut war funding for fear of the political backlash.

Comments

laughingatallofu 7 years, 11 months ago

Scott Tichenor 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm really glad we have the "Decider" rewriting U.S. history and telling us the way it really was. Frat boy certainly had plenty of time to think this all out since he never served a minute in combat.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 11 months ago

Bush is really grasping at straws now. Comparing the Iraq war of choice to world war II is ridiculous. Comparisons to Korea and Vietnam are not flattering, as the US left both conflicts with communist regimes intact.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 11 months ago

Colonel Angus,

If my daddy was George H. Bush, I could've done all those things too.

W is like the guy who was born on third base but goes through life thinking he hit a triple.

Worst president ever. The only saving grace this nation has is if we're smart enough to vote in Barack for not 1, but 2 terms...he'll definitely need 8 years to clean up after Bushco.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 11 months ago

I personally hope I never come close to a tenth of what Bush has accomplished...I can't bear the thought of being responsible for 1 death, let alone hundreds of thousands.

I also hope that I don't come close to achieving his failed business ventures. And I have too much pride to ask my Dad to bail me out.

George_Braziller 7 years, 11 months ago

"As long as I am commander in chief, we will fight to win." What he is is really saying is f&@k you.

I ain't listenen' to nobody 'cause I are the president of somethin' -- Dick, Carl, Harriet, where are you? Can you tell me what I was 'sposed to say?

Redneckgal 7 years, 11 months ago

"As long as I am commander-in-chief we will fight to win"

What Jr. Bird Brain is really trying to say is "I am such a tard that I have no idea how to get out of this mess. So I'll just play tough while our boys continue to die and then in another year or so I'll just dump the whole big hairy mess on someone else to figure out."

Calliope877 7 years, 11 months ago

TDT,

What grade are you in? 3rd grade, maybe 4th? I think it might be past your bedtime...

jonas 7 years, 11 months ago

BrianR 7 years, 11 months ago

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer, US football coach

EXks 7 years, 11 months ago

"Bush resurrected Vietnam's agonizing legacy"

"W: should have resurrected his skipping out on serving in Vietnam, he played pretend fighter pilot in that 'champaign' national guard unit, while the REAL men fought the war

G Bush...WORST PRESIDENT EVER

Tychoman 7 years, 11 months ago

RT, I have yet to see any "pro-terrorists" on this forum. No evidence of one of RT's many inane claims? Wow, what a surprise.

If Agnostick's writings have the power to put you, a manly American Republican man into tears, then I say this to you: Go cry, emo kid.

chet_larock 7 years, 11 months ago

It's amazing how many of our neighbors are still unable to think critically and look past the rhetoric from the administration. Just goes to show that the "liberal media" is failing miserably.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 11 months ago

"You're either with us or against us."

Spoken like a true dictator.

I find it pathetic that the people who defend Bush are the same people who declare themselves true Americans.

Tammy Yergey 7 years, 11 months ago

I guess I just don't read these forums often enough... who is The Daily Truth?

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 11 months ago

"Why is this a concept they can't comprehend?"

Oh, I don't know, call me crazy, but I prefer to not go to war unless it's absolutely necessary.

For example, I think we should put more military resources in fighting the war in Afganistans and finding Bin Laden as opposed to helping Halliburton secure oil fields in Iraq.

And how do define "evil killer"? I define it as one who is responsible for killing innocent people...like thousands innocent Iraqis.

EXks 7 years, 11 months ago

Bush declared, "You're either with us or against us"

--------------------S Eve

Can I drive you to the recruitment office today so you can sign up?? Sign up your kids too??

Hmmmm, just what I thought. As long as someone else is doing the fighting you can say such sappy statements

EXks 7 years, 11 months ago

Appeasement, it worked for Chamberlain, it worked for Carter, why not Gore."

This statement applies to the Bush regime as well....i.e., Bin Laden is still alive, 6 years after 9-11

Tychoman 7 years, 11 months ago

That has nothing to do with Tony's point, Pilgrim. If the Vietnamese claim that the war would not have turned out as horrific as it did had the U.S. not intervened, then to say that 3 million Vietnamese and Cambodian citizens were massacred (an awfully small number, I think compared to other estimates I've heard) is to imply that the 3 million would not have been killed if the U.S. had intervened in the first place.

Tychoman 7 years, 11 months ago

I saw this on a bumper sticker (in Topeka of all places) today and couldn't help but smile.

"Lawrence: 27 square miles of reality surrounded by Kansas."

jonas 7 years, 11 months ago

What the hell?!?!?!?!?!?!!

I would like the forum moderators to tell me what part of the user agreement I supposedly violated. Please. You have my personal email on file, so whenever, I'd like to listen.

To rephrase, which is apparently necessary.

Daily Truth: You may call Agno's post hitting below the belt. I call yours hitting below the belt. See, unlike you, Agno is taking a specific posters written (and thus, responsable) word, and then calling them on it. You, on the other hand, cast as broad a net as possible, in order to keep the victims of your slander unnamed, and incapable of fighting back. You stereotype a wide variety of people with your usage, and so I have a new name to add to the list. Coward.

So, deal with individuals, not with wide demographics.

Ahhh. . . crap. I look, and believe that the forum booted the Daily Truth. Well, I've rewritten all of this, so I'll post it, in case he or she happens to drop back in.

I think, though, that you, the moderators, are being oversensitive.

rhd99 7 years, 11 months ago

I have never served in the military, & I wished I had. I CAN'T, why? Here's why, a medical condition. I have, however been an army "brat", so I know exactly what kinds of sacrifices are required so that our country can live in freedom. You want to know about unpopular warfare, look at Vietnam. My dad served there & he served there because it was what our country required of him & thousands of others. Did he think of it as a vacation in paradise, NO! Today holds true to what happened many years ago during the Vietnam war. The politicians continue to be liars, while others die. Is this war like Vietnam, I don't know, maybe it is. I'll tell you what, though, Clinton & Obama with there comments, aren't doing our soldiers any kind of service at this rate. Regardless of your political beliefs, know this, our soldiers' sacrifices will not be forgotten. We owe to all who are still serving our love & support. Pulling out of Iraq is a bad idea. Going in was just as bad if not worse. We're in the situation we're in now because of the stupidity of Bush advisers like Rove, & most of all, we can thank Paul Bremer for his BRILLIANT ways of making a bad situation worse. I support our troops & I wish them the best as we TRY to win the hearts & minds of Iraqis. That does not mean that I will ever support our politicians. Folks, I am torn between who to believe. Right now, though, our hearts should be with our soldiers & their families.

MyName 7 years, 11 months ago

Angus said:

Agnostick, You're being a troll. Read our full policy. Also, read about banned accounts and harassing comments. http://www2.ljworld.com/contact/comments:

I believe you are using the word incorrectly there. A Troll is someone who stirs up people to argue with him (or her) because he enjoys watching them get worked up, not because he or she actually cares about the content of the argument. You might consider Agnostick a Flamer, though considering the history and the fact that, unlike other more mouthy users, Agnostick has yet to be banned, I'd say that poster is an ordinary user engaging in Ad Hominem attacks.

rhd99 7 years, 11 months ago

This war has & contines to divide this nation. Blaming each other here & else where in this great country of ours is not the answer. You want to blame someone or some PEOPLE, blame the ones we elected. Next election cycles, if we are still at war, let's find & elect FRESH faces & let's come together to find workable solutions. Bush & the Congress are not faultless. We have an enemy that wants to kill us. Let's find him & kill him or bring him to justice.

rhd99 7 years, 11 months ago

Sorry, annex. what typo? I am sorry I was not clear earlier, I was referring to Bin Laden. He is NOT dead.

camper 7 years, 11 months ago

"We fight to win"? The fight is between the shiites and the sunnis. At this point. the US is really just a referee with gloves on.

matahari 7 years, 11 months ago

swan_diver is (so far) the only true voice of reason and intelligence on this (far to long) thread!

camper 7 years, 11 months ago

Mathahari. Thanks for establishing this. Can you provide some reason and intelligence?

storm 7 years, 11 months ago

Bush makes President Bill Clinton look like a saint.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 11 months ago

I still chuckle when I read Bushes comparisons of the Iraq war of choice to Korea and Vietnam.

Does W not realize that the US left those conflicts with communist regimes in power and lack of detente and brink of civil war?

What an idiot. Karl Rove's absence felt immediately.

The Iraq war of choice is over. Everyone in the military and government knows this. It is just a matter of working out the withdrawl details.

Yet, Bush remains clueless and adheres to the dysfunctional Iraqi government and his ideology and dogma.

camper 7 years, 11 months ago

Bush's pep rally caused quite a biy of traffic the other day

camper 7 years, 11 months ago

Bush is wrong. The US presence in Iraq has no relation to a terrorists ability to "follow us" here. This is a different matter.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 11 months ago

Dennis Kucinich bringing on the Department of Peace such that George Washington did is not a bad idea. We've been sending troops into the mideast for over 20 years and gasoline continues to rise in spite of that effort = wasted money.

According to Science Friday the USA could have been taken off the conventional grid with the money spent in Iraq wars. Probably could have healthcare for all. Two trillion dollars could probably fund some college degrees and Vo-Tech Training.

Dennis Kucinich is a brilliant thinker and has a way of thinking outside the box which means this Dennis Kucinich is on to something.

lounger 7 years, 11 months ago

riverrat2--I completely agree with you! Osama Who???

Scott Tichenor 7 years, 11 months ago

I was the first to post in this thread, and hadn't returned. Sorry, was off finishing my MBA at Harvard, making millions, governing a... oh, you get the idea.

So, the point of that second post? My read is that even though an individual can achieve those milestones, you can still be a boob, the worst president in U.S. history and tell bold-faced lies to everyone's face. Even re-invent and re-write write history for us :). Thank you.

Republicans have left (ie., not leaving) Bush because he no longer represents their values or the values of most decent Americans. Rant on, my friend. George's wish will be fulfilled. Baghdad is going down in flames, millions of people have fled and millions more will follow. There is no military solution, and the political solution has already failed. However, that's just my opinion. I'm sure the report the White House writes will paint us a nice pretty picture in September and set us straight. Maybe you can fly over there and do some boy shopping with John McCain outside of the Green Zone. I hear it's like going to the Legends in Kansas City :).

lounger 7 years, 11 months ago

Bush is tired - his ideas are tired and im REEAALLY tired of him. He cannot take the blame for anything because he is incapable of living in reality. Osama who????

deec 7 years, 11 months ago

Actually the first American deaths in Vietnam happened on Ike's watch. And I believe a large portion of the U.S fatalities in Vietnam happened on Tricky Dick's watch. You could look it up.

Mkh 7 years, 11 months ago

"Bush vows to continue fight in Iraq"....

Well Duh. What did you think they meant by "Endless War"?

riverrat2 7 years, 11 months ago

There is no 'Osama'....that's pentagon folly.

Mission Accomplished.

redwaggoner 7 years, 11 months ago

what the heck did we invade Saddam's country in the first place? Sure he was a dictator, but what had he done to the US? If I recall, Osama Bin Laden took credit for 9-11-01, yet, he survives in the jungles/mountains of Afganistan. Why? Is G.W. so intent on going after the dictator that his daddy failed to reach, thinking that this would bew another "cake-walk" & that we would be in and out in six months? Seems to me that all the Senators & Congressmen voting for this horrid war six years ago are now re-thinking their choices. It is my contention that thay too were realing in the attack on the WTC and were told that this best way to retaliate. Lies, lies, lies!

George W. Bush and Mr Richard Cheny need to be impeached IMMEDIATELY! Of course the next in line for the "Throne" is Nancy Pelosi. I don't know much about her so I am not going to say anything against her. I feel that during the next 17 months, she couldn't screw things up any more than G.W. has screwed up in the last 71/2 years. What do we have to lose??? If we stay in the middle east we will have fewer naturalized citizens in the Conus and mor and more immigrants that we will all have to feed & clothe since they will not have to speak, read or write, English.

deec 7 years, 11 months ago

. "And, as Iran reminds us, the enduring legacy of the retreat from Vietnam was the emboldening of other enemies. The forces loosed in the Middle East bedevil to this day, in Iran, and in Lebanon, which Syria invaded shortly after the fall of Saigon..." So.. how do you explain ghaddafi and Libya? I guess he was a psychic, and just jumped the gun on that emboldening stuff.