Archive for Thursday, August 16, 2007

Wal-Mart support

August 16, 2007

To the editor:

This is in response to all the Wal-Mart controversy.

First of all, the people of Lawrence are not 7-1 against a Wal-Mart on the northwest side of town. In case some of you have not noticed, there are many, many new homes in the area between Kansas Highway 10, Iowa Street/McDonald Drive, Sixth Street and Interstate 70.

These people want somewhere to shop. I conducted my own "scientific" survey and found that close to two-thirds of the people do want that Wal-Mart.

Further, Wal-Mart is not in direct competition with downtown, so will not be putting these businesses out the window. (Think high property taxes, high rent, higher cost of providing goods.)

Wal-Mart normally brings in a lot of business to the surrounding retail stores, as it generates many more customers in the area.

Wal-Mart wages are no different than any other entry-level jobs. They are not hiring rocket scientists, for heaven's sake - just ordinary, everyday nice people. They offer health insurance to part-time as well as full-time employees.

Of course, you must pay your portion as at any job that offers insurance. And it is good insurance.

I know whereof I speak, as my husband is a Wal-Mart employee.

Christine Taber,

Lawrence

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 11 months ago

~~I know whereof I speak, as my husband is a Wal-Mart employee.~~

Vice president of Public Relations most likely.

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 11 months ago

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 11 months ago

Christine,

I'll be seeing you at the new Wal Mart.

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 11 months ago

Not as nice as it sounds. Check out the numbers. We're buying way more Chinese goods than China is buying US goods.

Stephen Roberts 7 years, 11 months ago

"Haiku_Cuckoo - WalMart sells toys made with lead-based paint. Sam Walton had a "Made in America" policy that went out the door when he died. Now they sell goods from China that put our children's lives at risk. Boycott WalMart please. Do it for the children."

Please explain only boycotting one company? i do not understand.

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 11 months ago

As much as I dislike WalMart, the letter writer has a valid point. If as many people in Lawrence are truly opposed to WalMart as some people claim, nobody will shop there and it will go out of business. On the other hand, if the parking lot is full every day then lots of Lawrencians will be eating crow. I know whereof I speaks, as I are a WalMart hater. (I actually don't hate WalMart as much as I hate the fact that they are killing America by doing most of their business with Chinese manufacturers rather than American.)

deec 7 years, 11 months ago

Its too bad those folks living in all them new homes out west have nowhere to shop now. I guess that 10 minute drive down Wakarusa is just too dang far. I know whereof I speak.

woxy 7 years, 11 months ago

"But, the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. If no one works there, or shops there, they will leave." -Christine Taber

And therein lies the reason the lefty loons hate them. The far-left activist does not deal in truths-only ideas-right_thinker

That's part of the complaint by the anti-Wal-Mart contingent: that they will leave, and leave a giant empty store. If not the one at 6th and Wakarusa, then the one on South Iowa.

Not that I necessarily agree, but you do seem to be making their argument for them.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 11 months ago

posted by Haiku_Cuckoo: "Now they sell goods from China that put our children's lives at risk. Boycott WalMart please."

Huh? Seriously? Every store that sells toys, sells Mattell which I believe are the toys in question. These are the types of statements that push the Anti-WalMart crowd way past fanatical, and why it is hard for clear-thinking people to take them seriously. You act like WalMart was the first people to think of buying products from outside the U.S. Grow up Peter Pan!

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 11 months ago

Right_Thinker wrote: ¢"Pardon me for exercising my right of free speech in a respectful and constructive manner." right after he wrote this: ¢"And therein lies the reason the lefty loons hate them."

Come on old man...someone of your age should know how to exercise free speech in a respectful and constructive manner now.

BTW, Wal-Mart sux and they urge their employees to apply for government-funded health insurance b/c the insurance they provide is too expensive.

I'm surprised so many neocons support Wal-Mart regardless of it's welfare policies and that it uses communist slave labor to produce their goods.

I thought ya'll loved America?!?!?!?!

Mkh 7 years, 11 months ago

"Hey, you might not believe it but Wal-Mart is not the only company that buys stuff from China. I am not 100% sure about the lead based toy issue but it was a company that was contracted or owned by Mattel. Why not boycott Mattell also?

Please explain only boycotting one company? i do not understand."

If it were up to me, all patriotic Americans would boycott ALL companies that receive the majority of their products from China. But Walmart is obviously the one company that should be boycotted before any others because they are the head of the beast.

Walmart is the 3rd largest exporter of Chinese goods in the world. That stat is based on Countries mind you, not Companies. Out of all the Nations in the world, Walmart ranks 3rd (some say 5th) in terms of buying products from China.

Walmart's cheaply priced Chinese goods have pushed the entire market to also get cheap Chinese goods in order to stay in competition. This trend is destroying the American economy and our ability to be a truly free nation. The more we depend on other nations for our energy, food, and manufactured goods, the less true Freedom we posses.

I know whereof I speak.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 11 months ago

scenebooster i agree I was going to ask why the right to freespeech meant you must call people names a belittle them? not to mention that it reminds of a bunch of kids arguing about who's dad is bigger and stonger no mine is no mine is noo mine is and so on and so on.

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 11 months ago

First, this issue is decided. Re-hashing its merits or lack thereof is no longer useful. Certainly, it isn't productive.

Second, whether or not those opposing a second Wal-Mart in this location arrange a boycott of this store, I suspect it will thrive. Wal-Mart has become pretty good over the years at figuring out which locations will make money.

Emily Hadley 7 years, 11 months ago

Roadkill_rob's comment above reminded me of the worst thing I had seen in a long time, while riding down 31st Street:

A big GMC pickup with a firefighter emblem sticker on the window and a local UNION bumper sticker on it, turning into the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Mkh 7 years, 11 months ago

I haven't met a single person who is for the new Walmart.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

I haven't met a married person who is for the new Walmart.

"I know whereof I speak, as my husband is a Wal-Mart employee."

love it

Jaminrawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Look, I know whereof I speak because I have shopped at Wal-Mart. The stuff is cheap and breaks quickly. It's a company that forced out its higher-waged employees a few years ago and constantly lowers their benefit offerings to new hires. If I'm going to buy cheap crap I certainly prefer Target or one of the other small product-specific shops in Lawrence. Why do we need two Wal Marts in Lawrence? Are they adding a trailer park over by Wakarusa? I'm not trying to be mean but if you shop at Wal Mart it seems like most of the customers are people with low incomes. The store targets the people it employs.

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 11 months ago

Jaminrawk wrote "Are they adding a trailer park over by Wakarusa?" then followed it up with "I'm not trying to be mean...."

Uh huh.

Mkh 7 years, 11 months ago

Colonel_Angus (Anonymous) says:

Mkh (Anonymous) says:

I haven't met a single person who is for the new Walmart.

Go to the grand opening. I'm certain you'll meet thousands.

I don't have to Colonel, I'll watch them all speed through my once quite neigborhood where children play and ride their bikes in the street.

If you want to see the 31st Walmart empty, go to it when the 6th street store has it's grand opening.

thusspokezarathustra 7 years, 11 months ago

Logicsounds,

"Either you're wrong about Wal-Mart's adeptness, or they open certain stores with the INTENT of closing them and leaving a monstrous empty box store on the landscape. Neither choice paints a very good picture of Wal-Mart-they are either stupid or morally corrupt. (or both)"

They've been using this argument since the 80's when Wal-Mart first opened in Lawrence, yet Wal-Mart remains & the building they left isn't vacant either. There has been significant growth & change in Lawrence since the 80's & somehow the "soul" of Lawrence has survived enough that you still think the Lawrence of "now" is passionately worth protecting from change. I think Lawrence will survive this Wal-Mart just like it survived the last one.

thusspokezarathustra 7 years, 11 months ago

As much as people argue that Wal-Mart is evil because it drives its suppliers out of business with predatory pricing you'd think it was a good thing they're being supplied by China, let them destroy their industries instead of ours.

Speakout 7 years, 11 months ago

Lets get this China thing settled: First of all China has invested Trillions of dollars in the American economy. Who buys American mortgage backed securities to fund the housing Market? CHINA. We owe them billions of dollars for their purchase of our bonds and securities to fight the Iraqis, support the Israelis, and put cash in the pockets of our congressmen. We also need China as a trading partner as China buys Billions of dollars of American goods and we buy billions of their goods (even though some toys have lead based paint in them). Without China we have no real GNP because we sell lots of it to them.

Walmart is a portion although the biggest portion of our retail business. Walmart doesn't EXPORT Chinese goods, it imports them. The problem is that we import MORE than we export causing a deficit with them. We don't need Chinese lead based painted toys, but we need lots of other things and they need us.

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 11 months ago

Well. Thank goodness we got the China thing settled. Now would you solve that cold fusion problem for us, too?

adriennerm 7 years, 11 months ago

"Wal-Mart wages are no different than any other entry-level jobs." What entry level jobs start at $6 an hour. $6 an hour regardless of your previous work experience.

I know whereof I speak, as I worked for Wal-Mart in 1998

Matt Toplikar 7 years, 11 months ago

TheYetiSpeaks (Anonymous) says: "Every store that sells toys, sells Mattell which I believe are the toys in question... You act like WalMart was the first people to think of buying products from outside the U.S. Grow up Peter Pan!"

I'm sorry, but this is like saying Hitler wasn't the first and only person to hate Jews. Yes Wal-Mart isn't the only business to have unethical and immoral practices on issues such as slave labor, environmental safety laws, and sexual/racial discrimination (just to name a few), but it is the leader of these kinds of practices. Because it is the largest company in the world, any changes it makes in it's practices have a huge impact, not only on those who are affected directly by Wal-Mart's actions, but on other corporations that look to Wal-Mart as a model for how to be successful.

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that Wal-Mart forces most manufacturers to use sweatshop work overseas so that they can afford to keep their prices low. Because Wal-Mart dominates the retail business, if Wal-Mart doesn't carry their products, manufacturers like Mattel, or Rubbermaid, or RCA will go under. To give you an idea of the size of Wally World, just know that Wal-Mart is the largest private employer in the U.S. as well as the world. It is bigger than Home Depot, Kroger, Target, Sears, Costco, and K-Mart combined. Those are each big companies, so let's not try to pretend that this obvious monopoly doesn't affect how they all do business.

thusspokezarathustra 7 years, 11 months ago

Scenebooster, Why don't you just expend some time & deviate from 6th & Wakarusa. I think that would solve your problem. You & the "overwhelming majority" of people against Wal-Mart can simply shop elsewhere thus alleviating the traffic burden & forcing Wal-Mart out of business.

Dayna Lee 7 years, 11 months ago

No. Don't move on to the next thing to protest!!!!

Take a second and think of 5 good things. Take your time and invest it in someone or something in our community. You people kill me, you waste so much time and tax dollars. When kids start complaining I make them write me a list of good things.

I encourage all of you to do the same.

LogicMan 7 years, 11 months ago

"BTW, is that the current walmart is less than 5 minutes from the proposed sight [sic] for the new walmart"

Maybe at 110 MPH, without any stops.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

C1 - great post! Did you really write all that yourself? I'm impressed! No wonder you are doing so well, Mr. Walton! Is there a MRS. Walton yet?

planetwax 7 years, 11 months ago

For those of you who have not seen the FREE movie, "The High Cost of Low Prices", please view it at the following location:

Also, rather than ask yourself what you need to buy today, ask yourself, "What can I AVOID buying today?" We all can benefit from living by the "less is more" principle.

Janet

countryman1 7 years, 11 months ago

Well said (Speakout and informed). I am neither for or against the new Walmart. Though the new one will be about 5 minutes from my nice home. I am not rich. I am really a nobody. But there is one thing for sure, I have seen doctors, nurses, KU professors, any many other financially well off people shopping at Walmart. commented: "it seems like most of the customers are people with low incomes. The store targets the people it employs" What a sad and idiotic comment. This town survives on the lower to mid income people. It isn't the rich. The rich. including Walmart or any other business, get richer because of the working man, the ones who labor for the rich. Come on Give all of us a break. Walmart will fail or succeed. What a waste to sit here and yack, yack, yack. No one is going to listen. The only thing we accomplish is raising our feathers at each other. See you at Walmart at 6th and Wak Wak.

LogicMan 7 years, 11 months ago

"and undermine HyVee and Dillons"

I didn't think the new store's plan included a grocery -- did that change?

I sure hope they put in a recycling center. Target should too -- they have that outdoor garden center area sitting largely unused; that's not very green of them.

Speakout 7 years, 11 months ago

Doesn't it make sense that when we have more competition, the lower the prices? If any store wants to undercut its competitors it will gain market share because of the lower price and market share is what retailing is all about. Soooo, let walmart enter the market and watch Dillons and hy-Vee lower their prices to keep their customers. We all will win.

r4hawks 7 years, 11 months ago

One of the many reasons Wal-Mart is successful is simply because they are accessible. It should be a lesson for all retail businesses. But they just won't learn. All the other stores would do much better if they would stop complaining; take a page from WM's book, and keep their doors open longer!!! You can't sell merchandise if the doors are locked!! (If it is after 5:00, forget downtown!! --They are their own worst enemy) Mass. St. stores should have a skeleton crew, and remain open until 10:00 every night!! -- the rest, 12:00. Sure, the businesses would be more susceptable to robbery. But by placing cameras in strategic places to make potential thieves aware they are likely to be identified, would help to deter these problems.

Just a note for the guy that was crying that the present Wal-Mart on Iowa will be deserted once the new one is built: Wouldn't that be great news for the kids-- Then it could become a beautiful roller-skating rink!!!

Tychoman 7 years, 11 months ago

RT you have as many posts as the others whom you say are obsessing over Wal-Mart.

Pot vs. Kettle, who's going to win?

countryman1 7 years, 11 months ago

says "Just a note for the guy that was crying that the present Wal-Mart on Iowa will be deserted once the new one is built: Wouldn't that be great news for the kids- Then it could become a beautiful roller-skating rink!!!"
I just want to correct your statement. If the Iowa street Walmart closes, the city will either overlook your idea of changing the building to a roller-skating rink as they already have put that idea on the back burner, or they will raise our taxes and buy MORE LAND and spend a few million to build a new one. Then we will have a new forum. I also agree about the hours of the downtown stores, but personally I would not go thereafter five anyway, not because of merchants, but because of the loud clubbing, yelling, strong alcohol odor, drunks, cigarette smoke, etc. Besides, would you even find a place to park. Great idea and effort. Thank you.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 11 months ago

It is true that Wal-Mart is not the only one who buys chinese made products with USA names forged on them. Which means why buy from Wal-Mart when those products can be purchased most anywhere. This household quit shopping Wal-Mart fours years ago because everything Wal-Mart sells is available elsewhere,there was not a huge savings if any at all,service is better elsewhere,gasoline prices further reduced any savings to almost none at hall and their practice of screwing american workers out of jobs.

What Wal-Mart has done to many large corporations is agreed to buy USA made products to be placed on Wal-Mart shelves. After these corporations have adjusted labor and materials accordingly to meet the Wal-Mart demand and effectively became addicted to Wal-Mart selling power Wal-Mart then dictates to these brand name suppliers the price Wal-Mart will pay for THEIR products. If totally american based corporations would not meet the Wal-Mart dictated wholesale price the products would no longer be allowed on Wal-Mart shelves. Thus in an effort to keep american NAMED companies from going totally bankrupt companies cave in and move production to China to meet the Wal-Mart dictated price thus thousands of our american brothers and sisters lose their jobs each time this happens. I know of no other company that has used this tactic.

Sooner or later millions of americans have lost their good paying jobs and Wal-Mart does not give a damn. Explain to me,anyone, how millions of americans without their good paying jobs is healthy for the USA economy. Levis is one such company that shut down five factories and was considered one of the absolute best american corporations with regard to salary and benefits. That famous pickle company was another. What americans have done is reduced USA economic impact and increased Chinese Government Economic Impact by supporting Wal-Mart business practices. NO country can afford the loss of millions of good paying jobs to another country NOT even the USA. The Chinese Government has a firm grip on the USA economy...why is america supporting such nonsense?

Crossfire 7 years, 11 months ago

In the immortal words of Country Joe McDonald... "Giv' me an "F" ...you know the rest.

Mkh 7 years, 11 months ago

I had to take my Toyota into the shop this morning, which is located next door to Walmart. From 6th and Wakarusa going through town (Waka>Clinton Parkway>Kashold/31st>Iowa) and it took exactly 9 minutes. At 10:30am on Saturday (which should be the busiest) the Walmart parking lot was 1/4 full.

On the way back I took the overpass to 6th and Wakarusa and it took 6 minutes.

At 2:00pm when I picked up my car, the Walmart parking lot was 1/2 full.

Ironically I saw Doug Compton circling the parking lot in his 4-door pickup truck.