Archive for Thursday, August 16, 2007

Road rescue

August 16, 2007

To the editor:

On Aug. 4, while traveling on Iron Mountain Road in the Black Hills, my husband lost control of our motorcycle and we slid off the road.

We were hurt and needed help. The first of many cars to stop was a Hispanic family from Kansas. They were from Leavenworth or Lawrence. I don't remember which. They had Missouri plates on their vehicle.

The two gentlemen helped me get up. They gave me a ride and followed my husband as he rode slowly down the mountain road. When we reached Keystone, we learned there was no hospital there. Their family (a wife and several children) got out at Keystone so there was room for my husband and sister-in-law and took us to the emergency room at Rapid City Hospital. They still waited to see if we were OK. My sister-in-law finally convinced them they could go back to their family. Dave's brother rode his bike back to Deadwood to get our pickup so we would have transportation. We tried to give them money for gas, which they refused. They were only interested in our welfare. Our only regret is that we didn't ask their names.

My husband had four fractured ribs and a collarbone fracture. My tailbone was fractured.

This good family was truly selfless. They offered me pillows and water, and kept wishing us well. We are so thankful to them for their help.

If you know who they are, please let us know so that we may call and thank them in person.

Joyce and Dave Sullivan,

Elgin, Neb.

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 4 months ago

They probably got deported, sad as it may seem.

imastinker 7 years, 4 months ago

You know - not all hispanics are illegal immigrants. There are law abiding hipanics - lots of them.

I don't know why you would make a comment like that. I have read it three times and other than mentioning that they were hispanic, nothing else is said about the family to indicate that. The writer probably only mentioned that they were hispanic so that they could find them more easily.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 4 months ago

Good to know there are still some nice people in the world...

Ragingbear 7 years, 4 months ago

It wasn't a kneejerk reaction. It was an attempt to display the idiotic level of kneejerk reactions from the American populace. Anymore it seems that all Hispanics are considered illegals, at least in the average citizen's eyes.

imastinker 7 years, 4 months ago

That wouldn't happen if we would deport the ones that are illegal.

Sharon Roullins 7 years, 4 months ago

I am thankful that the couple was able to get the help they needed and everything seemed to work out but why is it so important to focus on their nationality and where they were from? Yeah, I could see that factor into a very clear description if either had been kidnapped and the police were interviewing them but I just don't understand why that was so important. Legal or illegal, they stopped to help. Moving right along now.

toefungus 7 years, 4 months ago

I am more concerned about Missouri plates on a car from Lawrence or Leavenworth. Maybe they were temporary residents and not trying to avoid property taxes.

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they were new to town, toefungus. Maybe they were in a rental car. Maybe they borrowed a car from an in-law who lives in Missouri. There are a lot of reasons they might have been in a Missouri-tagged vehicle besides trying to avoid property taxes.

And by the way, the majority of US residents of Hispanic origins are legal citizens or residents. Inferences to the contrary are beneath us.

KUDB99 7 years, 4 months ago

MO plates, more than likely they were in a rental car. Most KC metro rental cars are licensed out of KCI airport, on the Missouri side of the river.

imastinker 7 years, 4 months ago

I believe if you work in Missouri you can have missouri plates, which are cheaper than KS. I don't know more than that, I was just told that once. Further, Leavenworth is so close to the line, they could be rural and telling people leavenworth because that's the closest city.

Confrontation 7 years, 4 months ago

In today's society, it's amazing that this type of family exists. Most people would drive on by with the fear of getting blood on their seats. Regardless of their citizenship status, this family displayed something that many citizens wouldn't. I hope Joyce and Dave can find this family and thank them.

Crossfire 7 years, 4 months ago

R-bear needs a little toke on the medical marijuana pipe. AG Bob sez it'll help ya.

imastinker 7 years, 4 months ago

blue,

It really doesn't make sense to me either. I had a friend growing up whose dad had missouri plates. I asked him about it once and he told me that story. What you said makes sense, but it doesn't explain why this guy had missouri plates. It really doesn't matter though.

SloMo 7 years, 4 months ago

Maybe Raging Bear meant that they could get deported simply by being hispanic and not being able to prove that they are citizens (would you be able to prove your citizenship on demand?)? I hope this country isn't there yet, but sometimes it does seem like we're awfully close to it.

Charles L Bloss Jr 7 years, 4 months ago

I have many good friends that are hispanic, all are citizens. I am totally against illegal immigrants, no matter what their race or skin color. Thank You, Lynn