Letters to the Editor

Make an offer

August 2, 2007

To the editor:

Here's a novel idea for the group organizing to resist commercial and industrial development out by the airport. Instead of banding together to fight the proposal, why don't they get together and buy the land from the Pine family. Make them an offer that they can't refuse. Then, this group can farm the land. They can face the real world of farming. After all, Pine Family Farms quit row crop production in favor of sod because growing corn was just too profitable.

This group also can lead the way to paying farmers the 20 percent more for their product that they need to earn a decent living for themselves and their families. Five to seven dollars a gallon for milk, $6.50 per dozen for sweet corn, and $4 per pound for tomatoes could be the norm. They can help convince consumers to accept radical increases in their grocery bills to keep the land in crop production.

If they feel that strongly about the land north of the river, they should put their money where their conviction is.

Ken Meyer,

Lawrence

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like something Stalin once said.

imastinker 7 years, 10 months ago

East hills never took off because it was poorly planned. How do you get a truck from the interstate to there? This location is much better than the K10 location.

Ragingbear 7 years, 10 months ago

Letters like this can be an indication that you are suffering from heavy metal poisoning. I would advise you to see a doctor. Either that, or stop eating the paint chips.

gabbo 7 years, 10 months ago

RB: Responses like this can be an indication that you haven't two nickels to rub together. If your WIC stamps didn't cover subsidized food, what would you eat? Harsh but true. Ancient Proverb: He who is blogs all day while on govt. teet shall not get say when men discuss the potential of land they own free and clear.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 10 months ago

The Sen. Pine Family isn't doing too bad receiving over $900,000 in tax return and/or farm subsidy money each year. Perhaps they make more not to plant row crops?

Not only that Lawrence cannot seem to afford to maintain its' current basic infrastructure so why add a few million dollars more on to taxpayers with new infrastructure that will open the doors for more housing that does not pay for itself. It's still a flood zone Mr. Meyer.

I say show some continuity and focus by developing the light industrial on K-10 where some infrastructure is in place. East Hills plus light industrial in the Eudora/Desoto area has yet to fully develop after over 25 years. Did you Mr Meyer forget about the Farmland Industry expense?

Mr Meyer I invite you to pay for installment of ALL new infrastrcture plus maintenance costs from now until forever because I do not believe that would be wise use of my tax dollars.

oldgoof 7 years, 10 months ago

Yup. And when Merrill buys it, he can get the same farm subsidies. He and Ragingbear ought to jump at the opportunity.

average 7 years, 10 months ago

Mr. Meyer, how would you feel about a mercury smelter next door? A parking garage? You say "but the zoning wouldn't allow that". Right. That's the point. The neighboring property owners have an interest in compatible uses. Their land values were dependent on the zoning of the neighboring property. It's been zoned agricultural for decades. The Pines bought the land as ag. land, have paid taxes as ag land, and are free to sell it at market rates for ag land, just as your neighbor has rights to sell his house as residential, but not necessarily for mining or business.

Changing zoning is a community decision since it does impact more than just the property owner. It impacts everyone around him. There needs to be a strong reason for zoning changes, and concerns will have to be addressed.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

glock: They don't NEED to experience reality! They already know all there is to know about everything.

There are times when I've tried to visualize the world that some posters (some of whom have yet to represent on this thread) invision in their ideal reality, and I can't do it without turning it into a cartoon inside my head.

Ragingbear 7 years, 10 months ago

People are putting words into my post. My indication was that the original letter to the editor started tying things together in a strange way that is in no way realistic. I don't actually have an opinion about the land in question.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 10 months ago

Mr Meyer I invite you AND ALL SUPPORTERS to pay for installment of ALL new infrastrcture plus maintenance costs from now until forever because I do not believe that would be wise use of my tax dollars.

I say show some continuity and focus by developing the light industrial on K-10 where some infrastructure is in place. East Hills plus light industrial in the Eudora/Desoto area has yet to fully develop after over 25 years. Did you Mr Meyer AND ALL SUPPORTERS forget about the tax dollars to cover the Farmland Industry expense? There is several hundred acres at that site about to shift over to the taxpayers wallet until it is cleaned up and developed.

JOCO,Douglas and Leavenworth counties could come together and share the expense of I-70 connectors considering all would benefit:

Kansas Highway 10 to carry traffic north to Interstate 70 by way of I-70 connectors . This concept accomplishes many things.

It services: ¢ Johnson and Douglas counties' traffic going to northwest Lawrence or Topeka. * Topeka traffic to JOCO ¢ the Eudora Business Park east of 1057. ¢ East Hills Business Park and the southeast Lawrence industrial park. ¢ the Lawrence airport. And it: ¢ diverts traffic around the city. ¢ keeps the SLT out of the wetlands. ¢ reduces congestion for morning and afternoon commuters. ¢ might save Douglas County taxpayers millions of dollars. ¢ is prudent use of tax dollars. ¢ eliminates the need for an eastern bypass. ¢ eliminates much large truck traffic on 23rd Street. ¢ allows KTA fees to pay for the highway and the maintenance. Building a road through the wetlands at any cost at this point in time is simply not prudent use of Douglas County tax dollars.

MaLarkinMe 7 years, 10 months ago

Mr. Meyer: While I respect your point of view sir, I invite you to research some more information on this project. For instance, let's look at it from a perspective that many Journal World readers may be interested in - their wallets ... I don't think that people are aware that we will be paying for this, if it goes through. The tax payers of Lawrence will be expected to pay for the infrastructure and city services - not the developers. I am personally reluctant to get on board with this, considering how many unsuccessful industrial spaces already exist within the same vicinity. Have you noticed how many vacancies there are in these spaces? I encourage LJW readers to take a drive and check it out for themselves. Perhaps we should first look at investing some of our tax dollars to invite businesses into those spaces by making them productive spaces before we create more problems with flood plains.