Archive for Thursday, April 12, 2007

Not a mandate

April 12, 2007

To the editor:

I congratulate Mr. Highberger on his re-election and Mr. Dever and Mr. Chestnut on their election to the City Commission. It is not an easy position to place oneself. Decisions for the city must be made, but I would like to remind all of the commission that less than 20 percent of those eligible in Lawrence voted on April 3 - not exactly a mandate on the ideas put forth by the candidates.

Please keep this in mind while making the decisions that will impact the whole community. It may not have been apathy that caused the low voter turnout. It may have been a statement on the ideas and opinions expressed during the campaigns.

Pattie Johnston,

Lawrence

Comments

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

Dambudzo 7 years ago

I think that only the 20% that voted should have to live under the commissions rules.

Tony Kisner 7 years ago

Pattie Johnston,

It was apathy, or the PLC was too busy smoking cigs, drinking coffee, debating the big picture and forgot to actually do something.

scenebooster 7 years ago

"I wonder, Pattie, did you write a similar letter after the election last November?"

So what if she didn't? That fact would negate her sentiments here?

You haven'a clue as to her political affiliation...

Didn't you learn in grade school what happens when you assume?

blackwalnut 7 years ago

George Bush with his dubious 52% didn't have a mandate either, but that didn't stop him from acting like it.

Apathy has its cost. The new commission can act like they have a mandate. I don't think the developers who backed two of them expect them to do anything but.

plumberscrack 7 years ago

Same thing could be said of the complaining too, KS!

"Just depends which side of fence (town) you are on or which way the wind is blowing."

KS 7 years ago

Pilgrim - I agree. The Dems seem to think they got a mandate. I guess it just depends on what side of the fence you are on or which way the wind is blowing.

Pilgrim 7 years ago