Archive for Thursday, April 12, 2007

Amyx praise

April 12, 2007

To the editor:

Hats off to Mayor Mike Amyx! He has done a great job the past year. He is a real gentleman who believes Lawrence is a great place to live.

I have known Mike for a number of years. When I go to his barber shop, we talk about things that have taken place in Lawrence and what should be done to make Lawrence a better place for a new business to make its home. We talk about getting the South Lawrence Trafficway finished, street repair, the library expansion, the growth of new jobs and many other topics.

He is the first mayor to be elected for three terms. That should tell Lawrence that he has been one of the best mayors to have taken on the very demanding job.

Sue Hack will have big shoes to fill, but I am sure she also will do a great job.

Again, hats off to you Mike.

Dick Rinke,

Lawrence

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 6 months ago

I went to his shop once, and had my hair thoroughly butchered. That was the first and last time I went there.

Ragingbear 7 years, 6 months ago

First of all, Amyx was mayor for only one term. He was elected as a commissioner for 3. Big friggin difference. Secondly, he wasn't elected mayor, he was appointed to the position of grand high figurehead by the Commission.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 6 months ago

• People commute because of higher wages not lack of jobs so higher wages seem to be the larger problem. Salvation Army went on the back burner which is an organization receiving much preferential treatment. Should the SA relocate what will Lawrence do for all those that stay around the building? Those folks will have one less spot to hang out so will visit dowtown more frequently. The city commission cannot do anything about the SLT. Returning to the original south of the river plan might help if it went directly to the 1057 K-10 interchange(which would save millions).
  • Yes Mike and I agree that Lawrence is a great place to live and we both want to keep it that way only I do not want a 250,000 people Lawrence.
  • Mike put his one cent tax increase on the back burner which was a great idea after all it was not well received.
  • Yep Mike is a friendly and popular person not to mention a great conversationalist. My son certainly enjoys his services as do I every now and then. His early morning hours are especially attractive.

Kookamooka 7 years, 6 months ago

"Yep Mike is a friendly and popular person not to mention a great conversationalist. My son certainly enjoys his services as do I every now and then. His early morning hours are especially attractive."

Does that sound a little weird?

Confrontation 7 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like someone is shooting for a free haircut.

blackwalnut 7 years, 6 months ago

Amyx may be a gentleman, but if he supports the Walmart and a $30 mill library, he is no good for Lawrence.

I don't get my family's haircuts there anymore, because of his rolling over for Walmart.