Archive for Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Pet etiquette

April 4, 2007

To the editor:

Tonight my partner and I enjoyed dinner downtown on Massachusetts Street and then left for a stroll in the lovely evening air. Unfortunately, as is often the case these days, some dog owner had allowed their pet to defecate on the sidewalk and then left it for all to see, smell and potentially walk through.

I am a dog lover, and am aghast at the number of owners who feel that it is perfectly appropriate to leave their dogs' droppings in a public walkway or in the nearby planter. While I understand that pet owners may occasionally be caught unaware, as a responsible pet owner, one should take the appropriate action in order to clean up any mess your pet has left.

While it is not the city's responsibility to assist with this problem, it may behoove all of us if dispensers of plastic bags were placed on each corner downtown for those owners who don't have one with them. These are common at dog parks, and I am sure could be installed at a nominal cost. I also am sure the public, shop owners and even pet owners would be pleased at the addition; and hopefully it would be a general reminder to owners to clean up after their pets!

Caitlin McDiarmid,

Lawrence

Comments

couranna1 7 years ago

you had some crackle with that one hahaha

Thanks Couranna1

biggunz 7 years ago

those baggy dispensers are $150,000 a piece! still want one on every corner????

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

"When my office was downtown..." So that was before: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/sep...

spacehog 7 years ago

Right on, gr. Partner? Business Partner? Partner in crime? Or are you just one of these politically correct idiots who won't say boyfriend or girlfriend? Obviously, you don't remember the days when leash laws weren't enforced and dogs could run free with very few problems. These were the same days kids could actually play on the train in Central Park and the scrape their knee without their parents suing the city. Going a little further back, there used to be an old military plane in Centennial park with jagged metal all over the inside that we always scraped ourselves on. Ancient history. Anyway, go easy on your partner. Poodles are fragile.

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

Marion, you are always such an example of decorum!

just keep a sandwich sized ziplock in your pocket at all times. turn it inside-out over your hand when the occasion strikes. grab the stuff...turn bag right-side out, zip it. then your problem is where's a trash can?

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

When my office was downtown I always enjoyed taking her to do her business in the tree planters in front of businesses with which I had a gripe.

Kiki makes some POWERFUL stuff!

heh, heh

Thanks.

Marion.

Kathy Getto 7 years ago

Maybe if the dog owners would try clapping between movements it would solve the problem.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

Maybe it is time for a big dog to drop his kibbles and bits in front of the J/W, barber shop, lawyers's office, US Bank, Hobbbs Taylor, and last but not least...all over the front entrance of City Hall. Here doggy, doggy.come on over....

caracalla 7 years ago

Dogs should be banned from within the city limits, they are too messy and loud. Most of the dog owners in east lawrence are sleeze bags who don't take care of their large, overly aggressive dogs and they don't give a damn about their neighboors.

paladin 7 years ago

Jest thank yer lucky stars that folks don't have dinosaurs as pets and walk them through downtown. Then, ya'd really have somethin ta yap about. Ya see, things could always be worse. Count yer blessings.

caracalla 7 years ago

Dogs should be banned from within the city limits because they are to loud and messy. Nearly all dog owners in east lawrence are sleezebags who don't take proper care of their large overly aggressive dogs or care about their neighboors.

cowboy 7 years ago

rule number one ... watch where youre walking

we were downtown eating the other night and a young lady stepped in a big ole load on the sidewalk . Most of the passerbys just had to laugh but that girl had a foot full of sh$t on her shoe. The owner had to know his dog made a deposit and just left it.

Confrontation 7 years ago

I once had some neighbors who loved to let their dogs poop in our yard. I confronted them (the humans) and asked them to keep their dogs' crap in their own yard. As most dog owners, they denied that it was their dogs' poop. That same day, I saw the dog owners watch as their dogs crapped in our yard. Guess what was waiting for the owners on the hood of their vehicles the next morning? Animal control was no help, since they have to see the dogs running around before they'll do anything about it.

I suggest that we force the dog owners' noses deep into the feces if we catch them ignoring their poop duties. It's bad enough that you have dogs barking and annoying others. Please don't make this city any dirtier.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

Do what the guy from the old west lawrence area does..wait till the bars close, take the dog downtown and the dog does it's business and the blame goes to some poor drunk slob who just ate at jimmy johns. the ordinance is not enforced, has not been enforced, and will not be enforced.

caracalla 7 years ago

yes, ban dogs in the city limits. they are loud and messy and most of the dog owners in lawrence, or at least the east lawrence dog owners are sleeze bags who own large aggressive dogs and the owners dont give a damn about their neighboors.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

Oh, the city passed a poop ordinance but it was done only so the mayor at that time could sign something. It is another reason downtown is the way it is. Bag dispensers would be vandalized.

Lawrence wants dogs downtown, what is wrong with Caitlin. Downtown Lawrence Inc. should promote Dog Days. The dog with the biggest "prize" gets a free nights stay at Airport Motel with the new city commissioners who won't enforce the dog ordinance any more than the litter ordinance. Welcome to Lawrence...we love Lawrence and we love TRASH.

caitgrace 7 years ago

Thanks partner!

One thing the bag dispensers would do would be to allow people like myself, to pick up after others...I wouldn't enjoy it but I would do it - if there were bags handy. Much like litter the more there is and the longer it sits, the more likely the next person will add to it - rather than finding a trash can. I think some effort to ticket folks would be ok too, maybe it could divert them from hassling bicyclists, dumpster divers, and the like...hm sure you all will have a field day with this addition- enjoy!

tmlove 7 years ago

great letter partner - xo

(insert snide look at "setting the record" here)

: )

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years ago

Great letter! I went for an early morning run recently and sat on my porch afterward to cool off and catch my breath. Within a few minutes, a lady walked her dog along my sidewalk and then the dog pooped in my front yard. It was still dark outside, so the lady apparently didn't see me on the porch. She walked away about fifteen feet then glanced over and saw me sitting there. She walked back to the poop, pulled a bag out of her pocket and picked it up. Busted!!

JoRight 7 years ago

Who said it was dog poo? It is mighty close to the shelter. . .I kid I kid.

gr 7 years ago

While I don't like the idea of people bringing their dogs to my yard to poop, I just find this to have become a low point in humanity: To go around picking up another animal's poop! Doesn't anyone find something inherently wrong with that concept?

Still the problem with leaving it on sidewalks and people's yards. There's also the problem of dogs running loose. The most logical thing would be to ban dogs. If not that, then prohibit people from walking their dogs outside of their property or other specifically designated areas. Problem solved. And it's in keeping with "progressive" (ban things) Lawrence.

acg 7 years ago

You've hit a peeve with me with this one. We don't have a dog. I don't want to have to deal with dog poop anymore and when my dog passed last year we decided not to get another one. Our neighbor lets their three dogs run free and they poop everywhere and it drives me insane. I'm almost tempted to scoop it all up and put it on their doorstep. Maybe packaged in something brown and flaming. :) I also agree on baggy dispensers. There is no "being caught unaware". When dogs take walks, they poop. Have a baggie with you, it's only common sense. Those that don't carry one with, are probably not the type of people to utilitize ones put out by the city. Someone also mentioned above the baggies being wasted and I can just see a group of kids emptying that thing out every weekend and throwing them everywhere.

roger_o_thornhill 7 years ago

Poop on the sidewalk! At least you can see it there. Try having a$$hole neighbors who let their dogs go in your yard. But if you sh!t in their yards, suddenly you are the one with the problem.

BTW: SettingTheRecordStraight--What does it matter what the writer meant by "my partner"? Seriously it isn't your business whether it is a business partner, a friend, a lover, whatever. It the writer wanted to elaborate, they would have. Can't you think of anything else? That was a completely insignificant part of the letter. If, god forbid, the writer was referring to a same sex spousal equivalent would that somehow make them less able to speak on the subject of dog sh!t downtown? Of course, from what I have noticed, you may be a greater authority on the subject of sh!t. At least bullsh!t, if not dogsh!t.

Having said all that, I think this person's idea about baggie dispensers is crazy. When people take their dogs for a walk, they know what is going to happen ahead of time. If they don't, maybe they are not responsible enough (or smart enough) to have a dog in the first place. Take responsibility for your own actions. Don't waste a thin dime of city money on pooper scooper bags for people who probably wouldn't use them if they were located every ten feet.

75x55 7 years ago

Ah, the charisma and charm of the non-suburban town of Larryville.

aeroscout17 7 years ago

If I am not mistaken, there is a city ordinance that requires folks walking their dogs to have a method to clean up behind them. Anyone know if it has ever been enforced? I know I always carry bags (and use them as needed) when I walk my dog.

I live on a busy corner; you can't believe how many people allow there dogs to s**t on my lawn and sidewalk and just leave it!

trinity 7 years ago

i agree with caitlin...on all but one point. putting baggie dispensers on each corner, or heck even randomly throughout downtown?? what a field day goofy people would have with those. downtown would be carpeted with those things!

gr 7 years ago

"What does Caitlin mean by "my partner"?"

Why, their dog of course: "I am a dog lover,"

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years ago

What does Caitlin mean by "my partner"?

classclown 7 years ago

Maybe it was the mountain lion.

Richard Heckler 7 years ago

Reasonable suggestion. Send it to Dave Corliss and city commissioners.

ksmom 7 years ago

Totally agree on the pet poop clean up! This one beef's me just as much: People who take their pooches for a walk and let them crap in your yard! Nothing worse than going out to retrieve the morning paper and having to use part of it to remove dog doo-doo from your bare foot! EEEEEYUK!