Archive for Monday, September 25, 2006

Festival issues

September 25, 2006

To the editor:

There were complaints about a growing police force surrounding the Wakarusa music festival. I even heard the police presence referenced as "a police state." I shrugged off the comments and just figured people were overreacting. Thanks to the stealth, "necessary" work of our enforcement agencies, I am beginning to agree with them. Here are my questions about what happened at Wakarusa:

1. Did the police ever intend on buying the $250,000 surveillance equipment, or were they just exploiting a free demonstration?

2. Is bluegrass, folk, the new jazz? Read your history books to avoid repetitive mistakes.

3. Are we all so wealthy in Lawrence that we can just turn away any extra revenue?

I hope the festival returns next year. They have so much to offer in the way of music and acceptance. I wish the agencies could see that through their night vision and infrared goggles.

Craig Wood,

Lawrence

Comments

chavezcis 7 years, 6 months ago

I was there, and not all music lovers are drug abusers. Just because you want to justify what the law enforcement did, you feel the need to lump everyone together.

Promitida was at Wakarusa. By confrontation's assumptions, you too are a drug abuser.

Think for yourself, Promitida

promitida 7 years, 6 months ago

YES people do drugs in attendance! Are you kidding me Chavezcis? Have YOU been? Because I certainly saw my fair share of underage high schoolers drinking alcohol and numerous others of all ages lighting up joints.

chavezcis 7 years, 6 months ago

How is it a broad generalization? Are you serious? You called people attending the Wakarusa Festival druggies. Have you been? Does everyone do drugs in attendance? Using the qualifier "if" doesn't make your comment non-judgemental.

imastinker 7 years, 6 months ago

How was that in any way a broad generalization? He said "IF."

chavezcis 7 years, 6 months ago

Poor confrontation...

All we really need are people making broad generalizations and making comments about things they know nothing about.

Too bad there are so many of your kind in the world.

Confrontation 7 years, 6 months ago

If an increase in revenue means overlooking druggies, then the cost is not worth it.