Archive for Friday, September 15, 2006

KU cheerleader proud of appearance in Playboy

September 15, 2006

A Kansas University cheerleader is among the nine KU students featured in Playboy magazine's "Girls of the Big 12" edition.

But school officials say they're OK with that and Lacey Baxter will remain on the cheerleading squad.

Baxter, who posed for the shot before trying out and making the cheerleading team, said she's proud of her appearance in the magazine, but that she had some concern that the photo would get her kicked off the squad once it was published.

"I think it's OK because I'm fully clothed," Baxter said. "I'd never do nude."

Baxter, a Free State High School graduate, is pictured in a tug-of-war with mostly topless women in a two-page photo.

She is wearing a bikini and standing behind a pennant in the photo.

Baxter is described briefly as "Lacy Lynn, a Jayhawks cheerleader and Fruit Roll-Ups fiend."

"I don't think this crosses the line," Associate Athletic Director Jim Marchiony said. "We would prefer that the picture not be in the magazine, but (there's) nothing we can do about that."

Marchiony said the policy manual for cheerleaders states they must conduct themselves in a way that upholds the character, traditions, integrity and spirit of the university.

"I don't know if it's against policy," he said of Baxter's appearance in the magazine. "My guess is she isn't the first cheerleader to appear in Playboy. My guess is she won't be the last."

Spirit Squad Coordinator Cathy "Cat" Jarzemkoski said she believed Marchiony said all that needs to be said.

Playboy came to town in April as it made its rounds of the Big 12, interviewing young women for the college pictorials.

Baxter, whose sister sent in her photos, said she was called by Playboy when another woman backed out. She said she wouldn't have posed had she been a KU cheerleader at the time. But she did join in the shoot because she felt it was a good opportunity and an experience that she could look back on when she's older.

Baxter said she declined to take her top off.

"I think privates are for private times," she said.

Baxter's father, Tim Baxter, said he had reservations about his daughter appearing in the magazine as any father would, but he gave his blessing when he learned she would pose in a swimsuit. He said his daughter has some hopes for one day being a fitness model.

"Anything to enhance her resume, I was all for," he said.

Playboy publicist Theresa Hennessey said the magazine is more mainstream than some people may think and it's not as big a deal to pose as it once was.

"It's not as taboo as it once might have been," Hennessey said.

Comments

Richard Heckler 8 years, 7 months ago

Do ALL of our football and basketball players actually attend all classes and do their own homework?

I think some of what he said crosses the line. Hey Jim why can't you say it's none of KU's business what cheerleaders do in their off time so long as these men and women aren't driving around really drunk,shooting guns or beating up other human beings. It's implied that the nude human body is somehow unacceptable or that Playboy magazine is unacceptable to society. Get real.

Perhaps we should check the subscription list to discover how many bankers,lawyers,janitors,public school officials, professors,elected officials or law enforcement folks subscribe to this magazine.

warthog 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm really disappointed in the LJW's coverage of this story. Good journalism practices would have dictated that they publish pics so we can decide for ourselves if they're offensive.

jayhawks71 8 years, 7 months ago

merrill-----

the thinking is "eeewwwwww naked bodies are tittiliating and evil"; get over it bible beaters... your god supposedly put us all here naked and only after doing "the crime for all humanity" did we realize we were naked.

And what is the hoopla about of a cheerleader appearing fully clothed in a magazine that, has as its claim to fame, nude pictures of women? Why is she even in the magazine?

jayhawks71 8 years, 7 months ago

I wonder if Marchiony would have a problem with a few of the male Jayhawks making the "Playboy All-American" team? I bet not as that would mean the players were top caliber.

betti81 8 years, 7 months ago

kick *ss! this is my step cousin and i am sooo jealous! way to go lacy and congrats on making the cheer squad too!

BrianR 8 years, 7 months ago

That's right dammit, if people were meant to be naked they'd be born that way.

Confrontation 8 years, 7 months ago

"Like, oh my gaaaaah, men like, totally, only want me for my body. Like, why not my brain?"

Linda Endicott 8 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, and people buy Playboy just to read the articles, too. It's suuuch a classy thing.

bigun539 8 years, 7 months ago

Congrats on everything Lacey. If you can't figure out who this is, just ask your dad. I am very proud of the way you handled this. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

acg 8 years, 7 months ago

Way to go girl. I bet the pics were fabulous and when you're an 80 year old lady you can look back on them and say "see here, I was freakin' hot!!". I'm sure there are going to be a bunch of naysayers and uptight bible thumpers who have something to say about this, but don't let it bother you! Those of us that aren't ashamed of our bodies or sex or being naked (i.e., those of us that weren't totally screwed up by our parents or our preachers) support your decision.

Sacerdotal 8 years, 7 months ago

That's right dammit, if people were meant to be naked they'd be born that way.

Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone, but we are all naked under our clothes. From my reading, it appears Adam and Eve were naked as well...........

kansaskev61 8 years, 7 months ago

Liberal radicals and naked KU cheerleaders. That's The Peoples Republic of Douglas County in a nutshell!

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 7 months ago

That's right, Chairman Kev. Oh, wait, the Chinese commies of old were more culturally conservative than even you could consider yourself to be. They would make Jesus look like a hippie.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure what keeps you in Lawernce the hell hole kansaskev61.