Archive for Monday, September 11, 2006

Phone hazard

September 11, 2006

To the editor:

People talking on cell phones and driving have gone too far.

It is dangerous for pedestrians, bikers and the drivers themselves. Everybody knows that a bike can't compete with a car, especially when the driver is talking on his or her cell phone.

I was crossing Woodland Drive on my 15-speed Bianchi mountain bike, when out of nowhere comes a red convertible. All I see, before I hit the dirt, is a man on a cell phone. Thankfully, I was wearing a helmet. Not only did I walk away with an assortment of bruises, but the shifter on my bike also sustained some damage. To say the least, this not only angered me, but it put my life in danger.

Now, whenever I see someone talking on a cell phone while driving through my neighborhood, I just frown and think about what I could do to change this problem.

Joey Cunningham,

Lawrence

Comments

plumberscrack 7 years, 7 months ago

Maybe the person in the car meant to do this and used his talking on a cell phone as an excuse?

Bikes and cars don't mix. Like drinking and driving.

Remember cyclists, you could be "dead right" on who had the right-of-way.

KS 7 years, 7 months ago

The writer makes no mention as to who had the right of way. Just maybe, it might have been the red convertible? Never would a cyclist be at fault! I mean, after all, they are exempt from traffic regulations! I didn't get the impression that he was "hit", but rather lost control getting out of the way. Sorry to see this incident happen. Gives both parties a bad name.

biggunz 7 years, 7 months ago

it's a cruel world people. you either learn to survive or you don't.

mom_of_three 7 years, 7 months ago

I was nearly hit the other day by a car who just ignored every rule of the road. There was no cell phone involved. Yes, it seems I am almost hit about once a week. You better lookout at 31st & Louisiana. Some folks just don't want to wait their turn at a 4 way stop.

Gootsie 7 years, 7 months ago

Cyclists can be quite proud of themselves. I would guess about 90% of them don't obey the traffic signs and lights, and will cut around in traffic. Signalling? Forgetaboutit.

I'm sorry Joey was hit, and I'm sure the person in the car felt badly too. And I completely dislike drivers with their phones to their ears - always really irritates me.

mightyquin 7 years, 7 months ago

Classclown, I dont know if you were being sarcastic or not but I have seen cyclists talking on their cell phones while riding. In fact just last week I saw one go through a stop sign without so much as a look for crossing traffic. I know bike riders do it all the time without being on the phone, it just seemed like this guy was just totally oblivious to the rest of the world.

sourpuss 7 years, 7 months ago

Pilgrim, that was the first thought that entered my head too. Perhaps the mad, cell-phone talker singled him out due to his taste in bicycles! I mean, if people who can afford Bianchi's aren't safe, are any of us? "I'm Joey Cunningham, and I have a Bianchi."

old_man 7 years, 7 months ago

10% are capable of driving and cell phoning? That's a pretty high number, don't you think? It's too bad people are so insecure that they need to be tied to the phone all hours of the day.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 7 months ago

Obviously the car driver was performing an act of irresponsible driving and is NOT among the so called 10% who are capable of driving and cell phoning.

classclown 7 years, 7 months ago

What's worse is people talking on cell phones while riding their bicycles. They're a menace I tell you.

Pilgrim 7 years, 7 months ago

Why was it important for this guy to let us know what brand and model bike he was riding? Who is he trying to impress?