Archive for Monday, September 11, 2006

Missing cookies

September 11, 2006

To the editor:

My second-grader came home complaining about the "mean" lunch lady at her school. We have since found out the school has taken "Cookie Friday" away from the children. I can understand not having cookies with lunch on a daily basis, but you have got to be kidding me that the kids can't have one cookie a week. My daughter is not obese and does not need to be treated like she is. I'm sure this is some political thing that has somehow made its way to the schools, but I'm gonna have to agree that somewhere up the line there is a "mean" lunch lady that stole these children's cookies.

Dayna Lee,

Lawrence

Comments

Kontum1972 7 years, 7 months ago

it was Bush, Cheney, Rove, Ossama, Saddam....and Ken Lay..aka Sacrificial CEO/Enron.....

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

Dayna38, I agree with you, if it is motivated by the Pc-police's efforts to micromanage us, and declare nice things, tastey things, as baaaaaaaaaaaaad!

one cookie! you're right. give 'em a cookie, but also let's up the protein in the regular lunch offerings, too.

and, ya want a mean lunch lady: the lunch lady who designed and served those borritos made from "mystery meat" at my high school...now that's mean! we used to all chip in, buy one, set it out for the sea gulls to eat, and if they ate it and flew, then we knew the borrito was okay.

Tammy Copp-Barta 7 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe we worry about one cookie a week hurting the kids when my kids come home and tell their "school lunch" choices .. mozeralla sticks, pizza, sloppy joes - and THEY pick .. when we were in school, all food groups were covered and you got what they put on the tray. I am shocked at what my kids eat at school, and it's not cheap. I'm happy with the idea of dealing with obesity and teaching kids to eat healthy and exercise, but let's start with healthy foods in the school to BEGIN with!!! Don't teach them one thing and feed them another!

prioress 7 years, 7 months ago

"Somebody will blame Bush and someone else will blame Clinton. I think it was the Cookie Monster." +++++++ Blame Congress; they have no love for children, but initiated the new school lunch rules when they reauthorized the department of agriculture's program to sponsor school lunches. It has occured to our (generally overweight) legislators that paying for all the fatties we are raising will get very expensive.

justsomewench 7 years, 7 months ago

i think so, ihatejohntravolta.

a letter to the LJW editor can fix anything.

justsomewench 7 years, 7 months ago

of course the lunch lady is meanm it's in the job description. they're DMV certified, and they secretly send all batches of cookies to wild packs of sociopathic metermaids that live on the fringes of guatemalan baby seal orphanages.

welcome, dear 2nd grader, to the cruel, loveless (and slightly more health-conscious) world.

mom, my suggestion: load your 2nd grader down with pocketsful of cookies and she can sell them on the blacktop black market for a small mint.

welcome, dear 2nd grader, to the world of free enterprise.

75x55 7 years, 7 months ago

Amazing.

Reading some of the responses here - this town has lost it.

KS 7 years, 7 months ago

Gosh! For an additional fee, my bet is the the school district will provide your daughter with a cookie!

ForThePeople 7 years, 7 months ago

BBBBBBut they serve salad...LMArseO!

swbsow 7 years, 7 months ago

Dayna38 wrote:

"But, do those of you with kids realize they don't receive a dessert at all? "

Dessert is for after dinner.

Cookies are for after school snacks.

They don't serve that nutritious of a meal at the school anyway. Have you looked at one of the menus?

Is cheesesticks with sauce a proper entree? What about yoghurt & a pretzel? What about cheese and crackers?

Mr_Ramirez 7 years, 7 months ago

".... WHAAAAAA! Get a life. "

now thats ironic.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 7 months ago

people not to long ago you where all complaining about the state and gov. sticking their noses in our business and now you defend it my goodness. And yes there is a mean lunch lady out there one cookies a week is not so bad and the ditrict really has gone overboard. There can and usually is middle ground but few to many people look for it, it is either their way or not at all.

marklee81 7 years, 7 months ago

I think some of you "make her a cookie" people are missing the point. Maybe you guys don't deserve a cookie. One cookie a week at lunch is not going to balloon any kid up. Recently at a healthy eating in school meeting they served cookies and donuts. That's unhealthy.

smitty 7 years, 7 months ago

Well Dayna, here's what I think....the subsidised lunches turned into ketchup as a vegetable, high fat, sodium, preservatives, sugar loaded non-nutritional mess. Back to brown bag lunches or in this society, the most awesome lunchbox (at the highest price) to pack what you as a parent want the kiddies to eat. And you, stay out of the cookies. There for your kids lunch bucket.

Dayna Lee 7 years, 7 months ago

Some of you are right that this does seem like a small thing to complain about, trust me I did not intend to have them print it on 9/11. But, do those of you with kids realize they don't receive a dessert at all? And Mister bake her some cookies, I tried that. I ate 6 before the evening was over. I like for her to have a hot meal. I love my kids a lot and want what is best for them. I just wandered if anyone agreed with me that giving the kids one cookie a week was a good idea. And what they have gone to is an extreme to counter some people's home diets.

smitty 7 years, 7 months ago

They blocked their cookies for security reasons.

november_sky 7 years, 7 months ago

Well, if the school is gonna take away cookies...what do they intend on replacing them with?

Bananas?

Raider 7 years, 7 months ago

"Got a problem with it...then pack your kid a lunch from home! Good grief....some people will complain about anything!"

Amen!!! Your daughter didn't get a cookie.... WHAAAAAA! Get a life. Why don't you go over to Dillon's, Hy-Vee, Checkers or wherever you shop and buy your daughter a package of cookies? Sheesh!

Jamesaust 7 years, 7 months ago

"My daughter is not obese...."

Remember a world when NO children were obese? This is a topic that shouldn't even come up.

Many children, even gradeschoolers, ARE obese. After they eat their fatty pizza, meatloaf, mac & cheese, or whatever cheap stuff the schools' budgets afford, the last thing they need is a cookie (to tie them over until after school when they can eat more fatty items or sugary sodas).

One cookie a week? I bet there's not one kid in 50 that eat only one cookie a week (properly defined as a two ounce wafer, not a fourteen ounce chocolate-chunk with chopped nuts monstrosity). If the author wants to administer one cookie a week to her child, then she should do this at home.

redneckwoman 7 years, 7 months ago

With all that's going on out there is this really something to write a letter about? Get Real! Boohoo my kid didn't get a cookie....

ForThePeople 7 years, 7 months ago

offtotheright 7 years, 7 months ago

Geez lady, yes your poor child! How could anyone treat her this way by not allowing her to have a cookie on a Friday.

I wish this was all I had to worry about. Maybe you could bake home made cookies for her every Friday and have them waiting for her when she returns home.

You have a long road ahead of you with your now second grader. If you think this is the worse 'treatment' that your child will endure throughout her school years, you had better start your counseling (and hers) now to be able to survive the coming years!

Agnostick 7 years, 7 months ago

Seems like a parent has turned up some CMDs ("Cookies of Mass Distraction")!

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

P.S. What if they got ice cream instead of cookies?

Speakout 7 years, 7 months ago