Archive for Saturday, September 9, 2006

Dog owner faces charges after alleged biting incident

September 9, 2006

A 28-year-old Lawrence man has been charged with aggravated battery, battery and allowing a dangerous dog to be at large after the dog allegedly bit three people Thursday night before being shot by police.

Prosecutors on Friday filed formal charges against Gregory C. Hahn II, and his bond in the Douglas County Jail was set at $15,000.

Police were dispatched about 10 p.m. Thursday to the 2500 block of Redbud Lane, where they found two men in a fight on the ground and a Great Dane mix repeatedly biting one of the men, according to a report. Officers tried to distract the dog, but it charged at an officer, who shot it and disabled it, according to a report.

The man who had been bitten, a 48-year-old Lawrence man, told officers he was sitting on his porch and heard two women screaming for help. He said he chased the dog away from the women, but Hahn attacked him and wrestled him to the ground, and the dog began biting him on the legs.

A 19-year-old woman who was bitten told police at Lawrence Memorial Hospital that Hahn had punched her during an argument and then "sicced" the dog on her. Her friend, a 24-year-old Lawrence woman, told officers the dog repeatedly bit her when she tried to intervene.

The dog was later euthanized by a veterinarian. Hahn said in court that he had the dog on a leash and did not hit the women.

He was charged with aggravated battery in the case of the two women and battery in the case of the man.

"I don't know whether it was intentional or self-defense, but it's never responsible to sic them (dogs) on someone or charge them at another person," said Jeaneen Hercha of the Lawrence Humane Society.

Comments

Ragingbear 8 years, 4 months ago

I witnessed the entire thing myself. The dog was on a leash.... But there was nobody holding the leash.

paladin 8 years, 4 months ago

That's a very astute observation. But, as you well know, opinions are like aholes, every ahole's got one. The same could be said of black-hearted oafs.

oldgoof 8 years, 4 months ago

Almost a 'man bites dog' story. I say neuter and tether the owner.

Sigmund 8 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like a very special edition of "Jerry Springer" in the making. It seems like Redbud lane has turned into a white trash ghetto.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 4 months ago

Notice that they do not have pitbull in the article...hmmmm.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

they never said why they put the dog down it could be the bullet wound was to damaging and that is why. But unless the release all court papers we will never know all the facts.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 4 months ago

"There is no proof until the trial process is done that it went the way the woman said."

OK, but use common sense: Why did this man come to the aid of these women, apparently strangers, and end up in a fight with Hahn unless SOMETHING was really going on?

The real victim was the dog. He's just watching his owner's back, as a good dog should. He didn't have the moral capacity to question if the cop or the women were in the right or in the wrong. It's similar to the statement "you can't pick your parents".

MadAsHell 8 years, 4 months ago

This dog musta been a pitbull in costume, because only pitbulls attack people.

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Too bad for the dog....he prolly was just doing what he thought he was supposed to do. And it is clearly obvious that the situation was handled in the best way possible.

For once...I actually agree with enforcer/sybil/whoever else your posing as today....something needs to be done about the neighborhood over there!

There has been too many shootings, and way too much drug traffic going on over there for far too long. I had a friend who lived in one of those apartments several years back and she used to tell me about seeing hypodermic needles laying around in the yards....YUCK!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 4 months ago

Redbud Lane is one large bulldozer away from being crime free. Just plow it under.

BrianR 8 years, 4 months ago

After reading this article I tried a little experiment.

I got my dog's attention and ordered them to sic and pointed across the room at the wall. I tried the commands "kill" and "rosebud" and they looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears. The point is that they haven't been taught to attack therefore commanding them to attack will get blank stares. Actually, both of them, thinking me crazy, just put their heads back down.

Both my dogs (rottie and shepherd) were once believed to be vicious breeds but the truth is, dogs only do what we teach them to do.

Whoever said the owner should be euthanized is on track. As I read the article, I was thinking about a punishment involving power tools and JB Weld but hey, to each their own.

BrianR 8 years, 4 months ago

My dogs respond to commands in English, Espanol and Dansk. Attacking stuff wasn't in their "coursework."

You are correct, they do what we train them to do.

godsend77 8 years, 4 months ago

i witneesed the hole thing the 28 yr old man was being attack by two females and on male One of the females struck the 28 yr old man, and then the one man begane to fight the 28 yr old.The one man attacked the 28 yr old with a knife and i saw wounds on the 28 yr old, The dog was a full blooded great dane , and they are gentle giants the dane was clearly protecting her master also the 28 yr old man had a hold of the leash untile it was knocked lose by male that the 28 yr old was trying to get off him

godsend77 8 years, 4 months ago

and also to add i also wittnessed a young lady go to the dog she grab it the officers pulled her off the dog and then openend fire they shot it directly in the head no tasers ,mace or anything else was used. Where are the animal rights. What if the tables were turned and a officer was being attacked and and his partner was a dog and the dog protected the officer and a civilin had shot the dog wouldnt the person be charged for killing a officer

Tootieonskates35 4 years, 7 months ago

You are a complete liar! I was standing there as my friends were attacked, the police shot the dog in the side one tome, not the head, quit watching channel 6 news. After reading this years later, I laugh at you trying to be famous.

Tootieonskates35 4 years, 7 months ago

You are a complete liar! I was standing there as my friends were attacked, the police shot the dog in the side one time, not the head, quit watching channel 6 news. After reading this years later, I laugh at you trying to be famous.

Tootieonskates35 4 years, 7 months ago

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

godsend....If that is what happened....why was he being attacked to begin with? Seems kinda odd that two women would just go up and start something with a guy walking a biga$$ed dog like that!

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Well sybil....I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt....but, alas, your prolly right!

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

One gal got her grill stolen in broad daylight, coals still hot.

YIKES....now that takes some serious balls! It's really too bad that folks struggling financially don't have a safe place to call home!

godsend77 8 years, 4 months ago

THE MAN JUST MOVED TO THIS TOWN AND I ALWAYS SEE HIM WALKING HIS DOG I HEARD HE WAS VISITING A FRIEND UP STAIRS FROM THAT LOCATION AND I HEARD THAT THE PEOPLE LIVING THERE WHERE SAYING RACIAL SLURS AT HIM AND HE MUST OF SAID SOMTHING BACK TO HAVE THEM JUMP ON HIM

Tootieonskates35 4 years, 7 months ago

Once again you are misinformed. He was visting UPSTAIRS so why was he downstairs. One of the young ladies actually dated a white man at the time, so nothing racial happened. He was drinking and playing too much things got out of hand as the dog started to bark. Then it got ugly. You need to stop your maddness! LOL

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

godsend

Just out of curiousity....was anyone else besides the man taken into custody? If what you are saying is true....they went after him first? And are you saying he was just visiting the neighborhood....that he didn't live there? Humph...I suspect that there is a whole lot more to this story than we are told.

godsend77 8 years, 4 months ago

NO ONE ELSE WENT TO JAIL BUT THE 28 YR OLD I THINK ITS A COVER UP NOW BECUSE I DONT THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE SHOT THE DOG I THINK IT WAS SELF DEFENSE AND THEY DIDNT KNOW IT TILL NOW

Tootieonskates35 4 years, 7 months ago

Ok know it all, when the cops got there they warned the man to back his dog off and the dog ran up on the cop and a bullet period! They had to kill the dof he was biting everyone.

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Well, hopefully the truth will come out in the wash....I would say it's prolly pretty important that witnesses come forward and let the authorities know what y'all saw!

godsend77 8 years, 4 months ago

I FEEL BAD FOR THE 28 YR OLD ILL HOLD HIM AND HIS DOG IN MY PRYERS

godsend77 8 years, 4 months ago

THE MAN WAS ARMNED WITH A KNIFE AND CUT THE 28 YR MAN SEVERAL TIMES

Tootieonskates35 4 years, 7 months ago

Liar my friend is diabetic came to help and got bit.

godsend77 8 years, 4 months ago

ON HIS ARMS THROAT LIP AND INSDE HIS MOUTH

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Agnostick....why would the LJW intentionally leave important info like that out of the article? If in fact what you are saying is true....I hope you've made a report with the police!

dozer 8 years, 4 months ago

The article left out the fact that the dog was from Topeka.

justsomewench 8 years, 4 months ago

...and you saw the inside of his mouth being cut, yes?

at least this trainwreck of a pooches gone wild thread has a little more variety.

48yearoldman 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey everyone I am the "48 year old man" to which to paper refers. First off the story is inacurate, the Journal World never interviewed myself or the two women involved. Godsend77 you are full of it if you know so much why haven't you gone to the police with your information? The real story is I am the one who came to my neighbors aid after this guy came downstairs from apt. 16 where he was visiting and punched one of the girls and released the dog from his leash and commanded him to "sic 'em", "get 'em" "kill". I was sitting on my deck in apt. 2 on the second floor and ran down with my knife out to get the dog that was brutally attacking the women on the owners command. I tried to go after the dog and the guy jumped on me and I took him to the ground and held him there versus what is said in the Lawrence Journal World. He continued to order his dog to get 'em, kill. Anything that happened to the man or his dog is the dog owners fault! How can anyone sit here and talk about two women being assaulted by a Great Dane mix, a dog over 6' tall at the dog owners order mauling these ladies. If you people have nothing better to do with your time visit me at 2523 Redbud Ln. #2 and I will enlighten you because alot of you need serious help if you think it appropriate for a man to use a huge dog to attack women FOR ANY REASON. Redbud Ln. is a bad neighborhood with a bad reputation but it is the people who come there that start all the trouble. Like this guy if you have pitty for a man that could assault women you're ignorant. What if a family member of yours became a victim of such ignorance and viciousness? You really nead to shut your mouth if you have anything bad to say about the women one who has a huge gash in her leg and whose muscle was ripped and needed 21 stiches to close her wound. I have 8 different bite sites that required 15 stiches from both legs to my right underarm with multiple puncture wounds on my legs, left buttock, back and arm. The dog lost it's life because the owner refused to call off the dog even when the police arrived, still ordering his dog to attack. The officer had no choice, the dog owner did. I love animal and have a cat who had kittens 9 weeks ago, this man killed the dog anything that happend to him was justified. You see my address if you want to have a real discussion come see me! If not get a life and don't condone women being attacked. I wish the dog didn't have to die, I wish he didn't orders his dog to attack but he did and refused to call it off he's the one who should have been put down.

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

...and you saw the inside of his mouth being cut, yes?

Good question....just how close to the altercation were you....and did you get questioned by the police when they were there?

48yearoldman 8 years, 4 months ago

Sybil, Kasey whoever your friend was the only one arrested the only one in jail the only one facing 3 counts of aggravated battery. There are plenty of witness and all of them told the police what really happened. If it was any other way why am I not in jail why haven't I been charged or the women? You say you read the injuries were minor? Where did you read that and how is it alright for a man to use a dog to commit felony assault. Come have a cup of coffee with me and tell me how you came to these opinions you so strongly suggest are anything but a bunch of crap. The D.A. will sort through all the facts if he needs fiction post your number so you can spread the fertilizer to him you are trying to get someone to believe here. The police told me they were glad I was there and I did the right thing that's why I'm sitting here engaged in conversation with you and not behind bars. Explain that! I'm sure he'll put you on his guest list at the correctional facility he's sent to.

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Careful....48yroldman....you'll get the whole crew of enforcers personas attacking you....and prolly even a few new ones will rear their ugly heads.

Thanks for posting your side of this issue....it was most enlightening!

Tychoman 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow this is lively tonight.

Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs, or reproduce, or talk to normal people, or talk at all, or breed.

Dozer, that Topeka remark was hilarious. Awesome.

48yearoldman 8 years, 4 months ago

Sybil an appropriate persona anyone ever see the movie Sybil starring Sally Field? Sybil had many personalities like you do. I wasn't commended for wielding a weapon I did the right thing the police did the right thing. Shooting the dog was the only thing to do and it was the owner who caused it by ordering it to attack the police. Go to the pound and hug a puppy or something. The animal is a victim a victim because of it's owner. Talk to him about responsibility. Redbud Ln. isn't as bad as people make it out to be it's the people who come and go from here every major news story you see involves people who don't live here. I've lived here 2 years the 15th of this month and never had any problems.

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

AW Heck, Tycho.....Great idea for a new ban....All stupid people! Maybe we could get Marion to write the ordinance....so we don't leave any pertinant wording to chance....LOL!

48yearoldman 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad there are people like ForThePeople, observer, Tychoman and others who live in reality and know the difference between right and wrong and fantasy and fiction. Sybil it's allright to be a dog lover or lover of any kind of animal but humans come first. Humans have responsibility for their actions and how they interact with others and how they train their animals. Using an animal to commit violence on anyone or anything is unacceptable. To bad the dog had an owner who would train it and use it to attack anyone for any reason. This man is who you should be upset with that he trained his dog and used his dog to commit violence. If you direct your tirades and misinformation about anything other than that you are wrong.

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

48yroldman....I still think the neighborhood could use a tidying up...if ya know what I mean. Only a few years ago I lived off of 25th and Ousdahl and that neighborhood was a bit scarey....definately not a place I'd wanna subject small children to if at all avoidable.

Sorry for what you went through and of course at least IMHO....everyone did what they felt was the best course of action given the circumstances. Some people on this thread have a mission when it comes to authority and vicious dogs...just so ya know.

48yearoldman 8 years, 4 months ago

ForThePeople, I thank you and agree about Redbud Ln. the real problem there is the management company that allows anyone to rent there without background checks. The drug dealers come and go the property is such a magnet to crack heads, dealers and prostitutes because everyone knows all you have to do is put in a application and your in. Jayhawk Property Management owns the complex I live in as well as two others at the end of Redbud on 26th street. Everything goes in cycles here we (the residents) get rid of them and it's quiet then they're back different faces same old BS. I'm moving hopefully to a quieter more peaceful neighborhood. And I know how people are in Lawrence about asserting their beliefs and going overboard about animals. But this is the land of free speech I just wishthey had facts to back up what they spout off about. This is my first time here I was told to check it out by a friend who read godsend77's earlier posts. I believe I know who she is it's her M.O. she's involved and has a direct role in what took place last Thursday evening. Thanks everyone for your comments it was kind of a lively evening but now I gotta go back to the real world. Peace :)

JayCat_67 8 years, 2 months ago

I lived at the corner of Redbud and 26th about 20 years ago, and it was a pretty nice area. Too bad it's gone to Scheisse.

carolannfugate 8 years, 2 months ago

It looks to be like due process will have to establish this outcome. If the City were to kill the dogs for anything other than illness ; the City could be sued. the Dog Haters; where do they all come from?