Archive for Thursday, September 7, 2006

Protest purpose

September 7, 2006

To the editor:

Saturday, Sept. 16, will be the fourth anniversary of the weekly vigils at the Douglas County Courthouse sponsored by the Lawrence Coalition for Peace and Justice. For four years, handfuls to hundreds of people have stood there at noon to protest a war they variously perceive as unwise, immoral, illegal or at least ill planned. I am one of those protesters, and this is a good time to consider why we do it. I can speak only for myself. My prime motivation certainly is my young grandchildren; I do not want them sent to the next war!

I am not a complete pacifist. I would agree with Pete Seeger who once said that if the enemy came across our borders, he would be the first to join the defense. However, wars of aggression, wars for power, wars for wealth, wars of revenge - these have been our usual practice.

Our hope is to encourage others to take action or to change their minds. There are many in this community who oppose the war, others who are ambivalent. I hope they will be encouraged to look into the facts of how this war came about, to express their position at election time, to take other actions for peace, and above all to remember all this the next time a president begins beating the drums of war.

Ultimately we don't know what effect our efforts have. I at least feel better doing something rather than nothing. Doing this with people who care deeply about their country is a real privilege.

Joe Douglas,

Lawrence

Comments

Jamesaust 8 years, 3 months ago

"However, wars of aggression, wars for power, wars for wealth, wars of revenge - these have been our usual practice."

Really? How "usual"? Let's see if I can match terms: 1. war for weath - Korean War? 2. war of revenge - Viet Nam? 3. war of aggression - WW II? 4. war for power - WW I?

"I would agree with Pete Seeger who once said that if the enemy came across our borders, he would be the first to join the defense."

I believe we are presently engaged in a war satisfying the author's condition. Why then the letter?

"I am not a complete pacifist."

I am tempted to conclude otherwise.

Jamesaust 8 years, 3 months ago

"Your friends are Hitler, Ghengis Kahn, various third world leaders."

Fatuous, evasionary nonsense.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 3 months ago

Tychoman 8 years, 3 months ago

This writer has it down. Conservativeman that was a pointless post. As usual. He never called himself a pacifist.

Jamesaust 8 years, 3 months ago

<< Mommy, that monkey just through his feces at me! >>

Tychoman 8 years, 3 months ago

Pilgrim there are degrees. Feel free to stop looking at the world as "with us or against us" or "black and white" with no gray area.

Do you even know what a pacifist is? Avoid conflict at all costs. All costs. Emphasis: ALL COSTS. Would rather be killed than kill or injure somebody else. He even specified when he'd fight as a last resort. Jeez Pil did you even read the letter? Your name suits you more and more each day: closeminded and Puritanical.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 3 months ago

dear Anxious, it is you, dear correspondent, who has egg upon your visage!
Jeehad is spelled variously as are hezbollah, and Osama (Usama), because they are transliterations from Arabic.
now, put away your petty little liberal stereotypes!

part of my post that got pulled: I noted that we did have 3K americans Killed by Al-Qaeda (another transliterated word). we are killing al-qaeda fighters every day in Iraq now. should keep it up, and they did invade us to start this war. finally, I referred to the LTE's coalition as pusillanimous...wonder if that's what got it pulled?

Tychoman 8 years, 3 months ago

Pregnancy? What the hell, Pilgrim!?

Puritan, he didn't contradict himself. Show me where you think he contradicted himself--there, that'll get you to actually read the letter instead of finding certain words and phrases that suit your own bigoted opinion of others.

Puritanical fool.

Curtiss 8 years, 3 months ago

Actually, Theodore Roosevelt said "brutal wrongdoer," not "brutal murderer."

He also said:

"Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people."

"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president... is morally treasonable to the American public."

prioress 8 years, 3 months ago

Whew! It's deep in this room. Anyone got a shovel? Whom would Jesus Bomb?

Tychoman 8 years, 3 months ago

I didn't violate the meaning of the word "all," I pointed out where the writer said he would engage in war, not in the unauthorized war that we continue to pursue now. He still hasn't contradicted himself. Where I indicated there could be a cost were examples that the writer gave where he WOULD fight.

No contradiction, start taking night classes.

BrianR 8 years, 3 months ago

Tychoman, Pilgrim appropriately singed his post "idiot" which should help to provide a framework for his ill-conceived position.

Kodiac 8 years, 3 months ago

Pilgrim (aka Idiot),

"That was not a signature, idiot."

You are right Pilgrim, that was simply your printed name....

The fact that you even responded to BrianR's post only proved his point even more....

Kodiac