Archive for Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Lawrence Humane Society shelter plans for repairs, expansion

Fundraising campaign to help pay $470K bill

September 6, 2006

Thousands of animals find their way through the doors of the Lawrence Humane Society's shelter.

Now, the society is trying to come up with about $470,000 for repairs and expansion of the structure, after the Kansas Animal Health Department said the building must be fixed.

"In June, during an inspection, they said we needed to get started," shelter executive director Midge Grinstead said.

Society officials said the days of patchwork repairs to cracks in floors and walls have run their course.

State animal health authorities told the society it must make permanent repairs to problems that began after part of the shelter building shifted eight years ago.

The society and its supporters soon will begin a fundraising campaign to help pay for repairs and build a 5,000-square-foot expansion. The total cost is expected to be nearly $470,000. Grinstead said she didn't know the cost for the expansion, separate from the repairs.

Lawrence Humane Society dogs Handsome, top, and Rusty watch as kennel technician Laura Smith updates vaccination records Tuesday afternoon at the shelter. The building has structural problems that require repairs, according to the Kansas Animal Health Department, which conducted an inspection of the shelter in June. The society is about to begin a fundraising campaign to raise $470,000 for the repairs and expansion of the shelter.

The building is not in danger of collapsing, but repairs have been ongoing since the shifting occurred on the east side and northeast corner of the building. In addition the cracks, part of the floor rose, causing water to flow in unwanted directions during cleaning. Rust also has caused holes at the base of some of the shelter's metal walls.

The cracks occasionally have prevented the use of some kennels, Grinstead said.

"It's been kind of an everyday job to have to fix some sort of thing, and we're where we can't do that anymore," she said.

State animal health inspectors knew about the building problems prior to this year, Grinstead said.

"They've been talking to me, and we've been trying to work it out," she said.

The addition will be about half of the size of the existing building at 1805 E. 19th St. That will allow dogs, cats and kittens to be placed in separate areas, said Jeaneen Hercha, a society staff member in charge of animal cruelty investigations.

"It will be a lot less stressful for the animals," Hercha said. "Right now we don't have kitten visiting rooms, so people can't interact with the animals they are interested in adopting."

There also will be a larger room for staff and volunteers who are working with dogs and cats in grooming areas. There are nine full-time and 16 part-time employees. About 300 people volunteer to do various jobs for the society.

A dalmatian named Dottie hangs out in her kennel Tuesday at the Lawrence Humane Society's shelter. Repairs and expansion at the shelter will cause some of the kennels to be relocated.

Plans for the addition, which will be on the building's east side, have been drawn up by Treanor Architects of Lawrence. Grinstead said she hoped construction could begin in October and be completed in April. The plans have been submitted to the city for approval, she said.

The society has about $50,000 available for the project, Grinstead said. She has applied for some grants and is working to identify other possible sources of funding.

Lately, the shelter has been housing 750 to 800 animals a day, Hercha said.

"We're pretty much full," she said.

Last year, the shelter took in more than 7,000 animals, including about 3,650 dogs, 3,200 cats and 450 "hand-held" animals such as hamsters and rabbits, Grinstead said. Homes were found for 84 percent of the dogs, 79 percent of the cats and 92 percent of the hand-held pets, she said.

Comments

Confrontation 8 years, 8 months ago

Wow! There are children living in worse conditions than this, but everyone wants to help the puppies. Donate your money to a more worthy cause, like the Boys and Girls Club or child abuse prevention programs.

person184 8 years, 8 months ago

This IS a worthwhile cause, Confrontation. So is the Boys and Girls Club. Lighten up!

kmat 8 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation - what a kind hearted person you are. You can judge how loving and good a person is by how they treat animals. You have shown your true self.

I volunteer at the shelter and can tell you that they do need all the help they can get. If people don't have money to donate, you can always volunteer (and the same goes for any other charity).

Get over yourself and realize that people can help any cause they want. Personally, I chose to help those that can't help themselves, and that includes our four legged friends.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems." - Mohandas Gandi

Confrontation 8 years, 8 months ago

kmat: Just because I don't waste money on puppies, doesn't mean that I beat them or plan to destroy all humanity. You can judge how loving and good a person is by how they treat OTHER HUMANS. By donating money to more worthy causes, like anything human, that apparently makes me an evil person. I'm fine with that. Sadly, you believe that you are Gandi since you saved a weiner dog but overlooked the starving child down the street. Go ahead and waste your money. I hope that if you are ever down on your luck and need food, that a HUMAN charity would overlook you since they lack the funds. Maybe that poodle will come to your rescue and be your evening meal.

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation don't call donating money to a very worthy and very needy cause "wasting." Don't question how people spend THEIR money. You want to donate to Boys and Girls Club? Do it. It's not like the people (like myself) that have donated supplies and money to the LHS don't spend their money on other worthy charities. No one charity is better than the other.

justsomewench 8 years, 8 months ago

plead the fifth, omb. just for fun.

i'm just hanging out waiting for the online persona that can channel luna.

laughingatallofu 8 years, 8 months ago

OK, I AM "laughing at all of you".

How many have donated money to a political party this year? (Doesn't matter which one). C'mon, fess up. How much?

How many have donated MORE money to a HUMAN charity this year?

How many have donated to an ANIMAL charity this year?

How many of you think that the money you spent on keeping a politician alive is more important than keeping a dog alive?

Be honest.

Charles L Bloss Jr 8 years, 8 months ago

I love dogs, cats and other pets. I certainly can't say that about all humans. I spend my charity money on humane society's that don't kill their charges. Thank you, Lynn

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

Shut up, Sybil. That spanking innuendo was really infantile.

ForThePeople 8 years, 8 months ago

We all know what you were talking about sybil....go back to your trash bin in the alley at the 'other' site.

ForThePeople 8 years, 8 months ago

conservativeman....wasn't enforcer stalking you at one point? I think when someone is being stalked...it then becomes your business.

Confrontation 8 years, 8 months ago

Tychoman: "No one charity is better than the other."

That makes absolutely no sense. It must be pretty easy to get a buck out of you.

justsomewench 8 years, 8 months ago

boy, you guys sure know how to have a good time. if you're not careful, someone's gonna put an eye out.

congrats to the humane society, anyhow.

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

Conman I have asked you several times to stop referencing me as a woman because obviously, I am not. That is harassment and I hope you get booted from this forum AGAIN. It's easy to ignore your sick delusions of pro-troglodyte tirades but it's not easy to ignore your obscene harassment of other users.

STOP referencing me as a woman. STOP make disgusting asides about holygrailale's name. STOP making false, revolting remarks about liberals.

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation, what about that charity remark makes no sense? I'm saying how it's unusual to make snide remarks about people trying to help a nonprofit humane society for animals instead of helping children.

There are more people that help human-aimed charities than humane societies. Animals need all the help they can get.

ForThePeople 8 years, 8 months ago

Animals need all the help they can get.

Simply put and straight to the point!

laughingatallofu 8 years, 8 months ago

Boy, this discussion sure took a turn for the worse.

Congratulations on all of you morons who, once again, turned this discussion into a shouting match of no importance whatsoever.

But hey, I've done it before too, so I apologize, right here and now.

Now, the rest of you do the same.

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

I never said I didn't use namecalling. Therefore, no hypocrisy. I admit I namecall, but rarely when unwarranted.

You're no better than I. But I am so much better than you.

whiteoleander 8 years, 8 months ago

Does anybody wonder why the State came down so hard on the Shellter? I know and it is "Justice".

ForThePeople 8 years, 8 months ago

Maybe not sybil...but she is no stranger to childish games! And posting garbage on various forums when she disagrees with certain individuals!

kmat 8 years, 8 months ago

I'm typing this hoping that Confrontation will return to this and see my comment. I don't spend all my time on this site like many do, so I was unable to comment yesterday.

Confrontation - how you can take a post saying that all charities are worthwhile, including animal charities, and turning that into a "I hate humans and think I'm Gandhi" (learn to spell!!!) does show what kind of person you are. The quote from Gandhi should be a lesson to us all. If everyone did do ALL that they are capable of doing, we could solve most of the world's problems. Unfortunately, most chose to sit on their ass and do nothing but complain. Compassion isn't only for one species or one group, it should be for all living creatures. You're lack of compassion is sickening to me. You don't have to beat animals to lack compassion. I don't expect everyone to donate to animal charities, but you judging others based on who they do donate money to and dictating how others should spend their money is self centered and wrong. Should we tell you how to spend your money? I made it very clear that volunteering is just as great as donating money. Instead of complaining about those of us that do support animal charities, why don't you get away from your computer and make a difference and donate some of your time to the HUMAN charity of your choice?

And just for your information, I give to many charities (that help people, animals and the environment). Don't judge me without having a clue about me or my lifestyle.

You should live life by one simple rule - be just and good to all living creatures. If there is a god, that is all he/she would expect and want of us.

kmat 8 years, 8 months ago

marquisdesade - yes, the money will come from those of us that support the shelter. It won't come from a tax increase, if that's what you're asking. There are many of us that do fundraising drives for them, and we are already starting. You'd be amazed at how much cash can be raised from a jar sitting at a cash register. A nickel or dime here and there can add up to some pretty good money. The shelter is also applying for grants from different organizations. It will take some time, but the money will be raised and won't come from the city's budget.

If I can add to all that read this post, the shelter does accept aluminum can donations. If you are currently throwing out your cans or are recycling them at the center by Wal Mart, please take them to the shelter.

Thank you.

lizzieborden 8 years, 8 months ago

Kmat just how are you associated with the shelter? I had heard the local shelter was a no kill refuge, but have learned they do kill. I have heard Ms Grinstead say they are "no kill" then with the challlege over the pitbull now she has said "low kill. Which is it? I do not want to support a "kill" shelter. I would also like to know how many paid employees there are, how many volunteers and what is the average a volunteer works on a regular basis there. There was a post last week or the week before about a volunteer giving bleach in a dogs water dish by mistake and old chemical bottles being used to haul water to cages; is this true?

lizzieborden 8 years, 8 months ago

Why can I not ask here since kmat seens to know so much about the shelter? Are you a moderator or what?

kmat 8 years, 8 months ago

Hi lizzie. I'm happy to answer your questions as best as I can.

I am just an animal lover and animal rights activist. I help the shelter when ever I can. I volunteer there and help them raise money (on my own, I'm not on the board or anything, but know many local business owners and always have jars set up for donations. At times when they need extra funds, I add notes to the jars about it.). The article above says there are 9 full time and 16 part time employees and 300 volunteers. A volunteer can work what ever hours they have available to give - there is no minimum amount required. I've done everything from cleaning, painting and lawn work to help them.

The shelter is a "no kill shelter". What most people don't realize is that a "no kill" shelter will unfortunately have to put some animals down. There is no shelter anywhere that never puts down an animal. No kill means that they don't euthanize animals because there is no room for them or because they give the animals a time limit on trying to get adopted. The Lawrence shelter only puts down animals if they are too ill to be saved or if they are too aggressive to be adopted out. They never put down a healthy animal that can be adopted. Unfortunately, some animals can end up living there in a cage for months and months waiting to be adopted, but of course that's better than being euthanized because they've been there too long.

I don't know if the bleach thing is accurate (I just returned from L.A. and haven't done anything at the shelter yet except to call about helping them get funding). I would be highly surprised if that did happen. All volunteers go through training before being allowed to work with the animals. If they are using old bottles to haul water, then I would be certain they are clean and don't have chemical residue. They have hoses they use when cleaning out the cages, so I'm sure they water the animals from the same hoses. They really do treat the animals very well there. It is a great shelter and well worth your support. I can guarantee you that if this shelter mistreated any animals, I would be the first raising hell and making sure it stopped.

lizzieborden 8 years, 8 months ago

That is two unsolicited nasty posts from you. Please do not respond to my posts again.

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

Man, cm you just don't quit with your hypocrisy. I can't believe you're still here. You're so delusional and offensive.

kmat 8 years, 8 months ago

swbsow - I don't understand why you are being so unfriendly to lizzie. As I stated in my reply to her, I was happy to answer her questions as best as I could. Do you have anything productive to add to the conversation about our local shelter?

I must add that I did find the hamster comment amusing.

lizzieborden 8 years, 8 months ago

kmat & Marquis

Thank you it appears some were not taught manners

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

Oh we're supposed to read the article before posting? Holy crap! I wonder if I can double-major in hamster and small rodent upholstery.

kmat 8 years, 8 months ago

swbsow -

"suggesting that someone get the info from the actual place is certainly not unfriendly and for suggesting that lizzieborden read the article, you did mention as well in your informative post, that the info requested was in the article."

The issue was that you were somewhat rude with your post (and Lizzie did nothing to provoke you). As I stated, I was happy to answer her. That is all that mattered. And she did have questions that couldn't be answered by the article. Also, the people at the shelter are always extremely busy, so both of us were doing them a favor by letting me answer the questions about their no kill policy.

I guess I am just too mellow because I've been on vacation at the beach for a while. Why get worked up over this stuff. Everyone mellow out and do the shelter a favor and take them your cans or some donations.

Oh, and don't convert to the GOP. McCain has been a puppet for Bush. I used to like him, but once he decided to be puppet man, I lost all respect. Same with Juliani. After how Bush slandered and lied about McCain in the 2000 election, the fact he could then support him shows what a spineless weasel he is. Please, some politician stand up and actually speak the truth, for once.

Here is a link to a speech given by the mayor of Salt Lake City last week because Bush was visiting. It is one of the best, well worded speeches I've heard in a long time. And coming from such a conservative area as Utah. Maybe there are a few out there that aren't afraid to step out of line and speak the truth.

egypt 8 years, 8 months ago

They should do a paws in the park like topekas shelter does, Topekas shelter always raises alot of money and I would go to paws in the park in lawrence to support there shelter because they are a no kill shelter

-eg

ForThePeople 8 years, 8 months ago

The can thing is a good idea...though it might be even better if y'all cash them in yourselves, then donate the money....as was said earlier....the folks at the shelter are very busy and I believe they are also short handed right now.

My sister in law just got married and in leiu of party favors, she donated to the shelter in each of the guests names. There are many ways to donate and make a difference.

ForThePeople 8 years, 8 months ago

egypt....They do two well publicized fund raising events annually. One is the mutt and strutt in the spring and then there is an auction in the fall. Both are fun events and do raise a considerable amount of money....but it's never enough!

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

Great cman's worshipper is back. Look: it's no one being "haters".

Trolls.

Bitter? You bet!

ForThePeople 8 years, 8 months ago

Posted by kmat (anonymous) on September 7, 2006 at 3:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I believe this says it all:

Posted by Agnostick (anonymous) on September 7, 2006 at 2:53 p.m. (Suggest removal)

yyyyaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

:rolleyes:

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

You will figure it out soon enough!

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

There's a difference between contention and indifference. Sow was merely pointing out an easier way to get information than to wait for other posters to respond.