Archive for Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bands slighted

October 24, 2006

To the editor:

This is probably a silly thing to be bothered by, but Saturday our two public high schools had nearly 350 students that marched in the Kansas University Heart of America Band Festival. They marched in the rain and the cold.

They placed first and third in the event, and yet the picture that was published in the Journal-World was of members of the Buhler, Kan., band, who didn't place at all. Why couldn't they print a picture of kids from Free State or LHS? This is like printing the sports page with highlight shots of some other town's team.

Terry Jacobsen,

Lawrence

Comments

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 1 month ago

HAH! That's funny- I was wondering why the guard uniforms for LHS looked different...

sigh oh well.

Confrontation 8 years, 1 month ago

No one will care until the bands bring in millions of dollars. Who cares that your average band member has more intelligence in his/her thumb than an entire high school football team combined? Brains don't pay the bills. Sad, but true.

motomom 8 years, 1 month ago

nice comment, confrontation. this town has amazing athletes AND amazing musicians. i feel lucky to be surrounded by both high schools with such awesome talents. i wish i was in band again...i sure miss playing those drums...............................

motomom 8 years, 1 month ago

hey mom of three...just to let ya know those photo's that were posted were actually LAST year's competition....there were zero photo's posted of LHS or FSHS from this year's event.........both bands looked terrific....i am keeping my fingers crossed we will see something in the paper this week!!!

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

Yes, and hopefully the LOCAL paper would try to focus a story about a band competition on LOCAL bands that actually won or placed in the competition, instead of having the feature picture be of a band, that's not LOCAL and didn't win a damned thing. All I'm saying is that the LTE writer had every right to be peeved about it and classclown shouldn't have belittled their feelings.

Confrontation 8 years, 1 month ago

motomom: I was in the band in high school, but I knew that my time on the basketball team or other sports teams was considered more important. Those of us who knew both band and sports also know that it takes much more work to master a piece of music, rather than learning a defensive play and running into people.

classclown 8 years, 1 month ago

You're right. It is a silly thing to be bothered by.

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 1 month ago

Lawrence won first and Freestate won third.

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

It's only silly unless maybe your kid had practiced and practiced and marched in the cold rain and then had won 1st or 3rd and they didn't print their pictures in the paper. Maybe then, it's not so silly to be bothered by it.

mom_of_three 8 years, 1 month ago

I found pictures of the event, with many pictures of Free State and LHS prominently featured. I am not sure what the fuss is about.
I had to do a search, but I found some.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 1 month ago

who got 1st and who got 3rd? who got second? I'm surprised that LJW didn't put a big picture of Freddy the Fireterd playin the quads or something I find it unbelievable that there wasn't any pictures of FS students in there since this paper loves FS and hates LHS

motomom 8 years, 1 month ago

some people care. like parent's...... AND all of us old band nerds from high school. i agree with you, though..it is sad and it is true. hey, it was a great show anyways...but man, it was colder than a ............what is that again? :)

mom_of_three 8 years, 1 month ago

I was in band for 8 years in junior high, high school and college. Two of my kids are in band. I understand the hard work which is involved.

acg - the pictures are in the paper. They might have been found easier if the paper had done a story about the success of the marching bands. But they didn't. Hopefully, the paper covers more than just sports for our local schools

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm with you Terry. I couldn't even find THAT much online to share with out of town family. Can someone point me to that link if it exists?

mom_of_three 8 years, 1 month ago

that was the link provided on the recent article. I didn't look at the date because the article was from this year.
Sorry.

There are many events not covered by the ljw. It's not consistent. But I didn't have to wait until my kid was in high school to find that out.

visage 8 years, 1 month ago

As a former band student from Lawrence, I felt rather offended when I was told that barely a word about the bands was published in the paper. Most people don't know how hard those kids work, and it's a slap in the face to them to not have their work recognized. Both bands performed well, and their accomplishments should be mentioned more than just in passing.

Tychoman 8 years, 1 month ago

The LJWorld publishes very little when the bands do well, and more when the bands are less than successful. This is the first time in several years that LHS has won the competition. By the way, a band from South Dakota got 2nd. LHS's show was awesome.

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 1 month ago

Moira- whether you're in it for awards or not, it's always nice to be recognized for your achievements.

Terry Jacobsen 8 years, 1 month ago

Moira: I can only assume that you wanted to do an exceptional job everytime you performed. I also know that if you were performing in public you received an award everytime you played or performed. It's called applause. Audience impact or satisfaction is an award. I doubt that you ever went out on stage and tried to perform so that people would boo you. So I guess your motivation was to receive an award.