Archive for Monday, October 23, 2006

Case supported

October 23, 2006

To the editor:

During a recent press conference (as reported in the Oct. 17 Journal-World), attorney general candidate Paul Morrison was accused of mishandling the David Harmon murder trial so he could spend more time on his campaign. Let's get the facts straight. I was in charge of that investigation and have been closely associated with the case for 24 years. Shortly after the homicide, we had a closing window of opportunity to make an arrest. Paul Morrison, who was relatively new with the Johnson County D.A.'s Office, supported the arrest, but was overridden by several senior prosecutors.

This homicide was brought to a successful conclusion because of two exceptional cold case detectives and the courage, talent and drive of Paul Morrison. Both suspects were convicted and are currently serving time. Would the officers and victim's relatives have preferred a longer prison term? Certainly. Let's not blame Paul Morrison for the mandated sentence length these criminals received. That's out of his control.

Paul Morrison is, and has been, an excellent public servant and I certainly support his decisions and handling of this murder case after 24 years. This is certainly a proper outcome in an extremely difficult prosecution.

Chief Jeffrey Hermann,

retired,

Ottawa

Comments

prioress 7 years, 5 months ago

Two words come to mind: Ronald and Reagan.

Defender 7 years, 5 months ago

"Wanna talk about a liar. Is Morrison a Democrat or a Republican? Oh that's right, he was a republican, which means most of you posting here would have hated him last year, but since he is a democrat now, you love him. Now whose the liar?"

Stupidest, most baseless comment of the year anyone? Kline is being judged on his actions, but I suppose you don't have a problem with dishonesty, eh TJ?

Katara 7 years, 5 months ago

I still would have liked him better than Kline no matter what party he belonged to.

TJ_in_Lawrence 7 years, 5 months ago

couranna1 7 years, 5 months ago

to like kline is a backing of an unethical immoral idiot and a vote for him is a vote to let that continue imastinker I smell ya from here

xenophonschild 7 years, 5 months ago

Amen. Phill and pond scum are synonymous.

Defender 7 years, 5 months ago

"Phill doesn't really "lie." He's not clever enough to know when he is and when he isn't."

lol! good one, prioress!

prioress 7 years, 5 months ago

Phill doesn't really "lie." He's not clever enough to know when he is and when he isn't. This is another example of a race that should be nonpartisan. The law shouldn't have much to do with which party is in control, despite what Dubbya says about the Bill of Rights and Torture.

Defender 7 years, 5 months ago

imastinker:

"I like Phil Kline, and will probably vote for him"

"I hope both candidates are excellent public servants."

So, you like a dishonest candidate for the states top legal job? You want an AG that lies?

imastinker 7 years, 5 months ago

I like Phil Kline, and will probably vote for him, but it's hard to have a problem with this letter. He says nothing about Morrison's AG race. He simply states the facts as he sees them, and says that he was an excellent public servant. I certianly hope so, since he's in the race for AG now. I hope both candidates are excellent public servants.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 5 months ago

The "tell-it-like-it-is" party-- right, TJ?

Defender 7 years, 5 months ago

"Bet I can guess which political party you belong to."

TJ, what does that have to do with it? I guess you don't like facts in politics. Hermann was in charge, but I guess you were closer to the investigation. Care to enlighten us as to what really happened since you were obviously more involved with this investigation?

Hmmm, I guess we can guess which political party you belong to.

TJ_in_Lawrence 7 years, 5 months ago

Bet I can guess which political party you belong to.