Archive for Monday, October 2, 2006

Stolen plate

October 2, 2006

To the editor:

We had the privilege of traveling to Lawrence last Saturday, Sept. 23, to see the football game. We do not get to do that often so we were really looking forward to it. We decided to park close to the stadium for a change. After returning home, we noticed that our front Kansas University license plate had been taken off our car. We had gotten it on our travels as we are always looking for unique KU plates.

We realize that is a small thing but it sure took all the enjoyment out of the day. Things like that reflect on Kansas University and the city of Lawrence. We sincerely hope whoever has the license plate enjoys it.

Jay and Rita Wiens,

McPherson

Comments

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

I am sorry for the theft, not all people of lawrence are like that. I had my plate real plate stole off my car in my drive way over night once, filed the report and months later they tried to stick me with a bunch of parking tickets from the stolen plate. really does stink.

Ken Miller 8 years, 9 months ago

It's called "Boredom." And it's not Lawrence's fault, per se. People need to take responsibility and find ways to entertain themselves w/o destroying or stealing their neighbor's property. This isn't advocacy for mandating prayer in schools or anything like that; it's advocacy for common decency being taught at HOME. Put down your cocktails and trashy magazines and start teaching your kids something about respect.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 9 months ago

Small things matter too. I hope somehow you get your plate returned.

roger_o_thornhill 8 years, 9 months ago

Too many children without any parents around for the first time in their lives. Sadly, things like what is listed here along with "getting wasted" are the only ways modern American children seem to assert their independence. (Not all, of course.)

gphawk89 8 years, 9 months ago

What's the deal with Lawrence? I've lived in several "large" cities but the only place I've ever had my car broken into (twice) and vandalized (three times) is on or near the KU campus. My KU roommates' problems included slashed tires (a total of six), slashed convertible top, broken windows (two), broken antennae (multiple times), sugar in the gas tank, keyed paint...

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

oscarfactor: Excellent post! Parents need to stop letting their kids act like idiots. Parents need to stop acting like idiots. Once these kids are out of the home (or just out of view), they find ways to ruin the lives of others.

topekan7 8 years, 9 months ago

During one visit to Lawrence I had purple paint dumped on my car...just for bein a proud Wildcat Fan!

davisnin 8 years, 9 months ago

could have been the visiting fans of the other team.. just a thought.

Terry Jacobsen 8 years, 9 months ago

Too bad someone had to ruin the day for these folks. This is a symptom of a much larger problem. No respect for others or their property. It is also, evident in many of the posts that I read on here. Name calling and derogatory comments about people who have different opinons than someone else. If you want to blame the parents that is fine, but we have to take some of the blame ourselves for the community environment that we contribute to.