Archive for Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Lawrence woman dies in I-70 wreck

November 29, 2006, 4:18 p.m. Updated November 29, 2006, 8:54 p.m.

A Lawrence woman was killed today in a two-car wreck along Interstate 70 that sent at least six others to the hospital with serious injuries.

The Kansas Turnpike Authority has identified the 24-year-old Lawrence woman killed in the wreck as Elizabeth Rae Dominguez-Santos.

A Mitsubishi Eclipse headed westbound near mile marker 188 lost control and slid through a median and into the eastbound lane, according to a Kansas Turnpike Authority report.

Dominguez-Santos, 24, was riding in the passenger seat of the Eclipse when it slid into an eastbound Chrysler Pacifica.

The Turnpike Authority originally identified the woman as a Topeka resident before troopers on the scene delivered their final accident report.

She was riding in the Eclipse along with, 23-year-old Cesar Flores Espinabarro, of Lawrence, Reguera Flores-Socrates, 37, of Lawrence, and Nicholas Tomas-Alejandro, 20, of Lawrence, when the car slid into a Chrysler Pacifica.

The three survivors were taken to Stormont-Vail Hospital in Topeka.

The passengers in the Pacifica were identified as 28-year-old Pamela J. Martinez, of Manhattan, Stephanie L. Bolender, 33, of Kamas, Utah, and Jackson R. Bolender, 3.

All three passengers were taken to St. Francis Hospital.

The driver of the Eclipse was critically injured, and the extent of injuries to the other five involved was not yet available.

It was unclear if weather was a factor in the wreck.

Comments

Bone777 8 years ago

"Mitsubishi Eclipse headed westbound near mile marker 188 lost control and slid through a median and into the eastbound lane"

"It was unclear if weather was a factor in the wreck."

Wild guess. Weather was a factor.

Sigmund 8 years ago

K10 is a mess, put passable. 30-45 mph all the way. The problem is other drivers and the road clears just a bit and then just as suddenly its like driving in a Super Jumbo Slushy (TM). Saw a vehicle upside down quite and quite a bit off of the road in the East bound side. The ambulance was moving at about 40 mph trying to get to the scene.

Please drive very carefully!

tunarubber 8 years ago

I saw this accident and it occured well before the weather took such a nasty turn today.

dirkleisure 8 years ago

Due to construction, there are currently no barriers in the median on that section of the turnpike.

Also of note, the new barriers on the turnpike to not include emergency turnarounds. It is a solid wall between Lecompton and Topeka.

Sigmund 8 years ago

May have been the same, but there were emergency vehicle rolling to the scene and there were three Sheriff's on scene with lights flashing and they were out of the car. You may right, I hope there was only one...

conserv26 8 years ago

Geesh, do you think weather was a "factor" in the accident??? L-J World, that is the dumbest line I've ever read...ever :o( What do you think? I-70 was slushy and icy when I drove home at 4:00pm. It started sleeting well before that. How in the heck did someone cross into oncoming traffic with that concrete wall there? It is so strange...I thought the wall was there to prevent accidents like this!

ratstar 8 years ago

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

Hmmm...

The police haven't released the woman's name yet, as family hadn't been notified, but they reported the names of all the people she was travelling with.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people will be able to identify who it was just based on that. Pretty tacky to report it yet, I think.

ksteacher 8 years ago

"this accident happened at 10:55 a.m. preciptation didn't start in lawrence until after noon. it was much different by 4 p.m."

I work in Topeka--There was already a small layer of ice on windshields by 10:20 am when I went out during a break to cover my van.

KSChick1 8 years ago

it was misting when I left home in east lawrence at 7:15 am, and with the wind blowing the wind chill was 23 degrees. The sky kept leaking a little after that and it was very cold if you were out and about later this morning too!

I don't doubt I-70 was cold and trying to freeze/a little icy/slick when this wreck happened around noon

speed or something else may have been a factor too