Archive for Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Game-day parking

November 21, 2006

To the editor:

In my five years at Kansas University, I have paid more than $20,000 in tuition. I have worked at the Kenneth Spencer Research Library here at KU for more than three years. Every semester I have bought parking passes from the parking department because I do not live within walking distance of the campus, and I do not live near a bus route. This semester I paid more than $100 for a Mississippi Street parking garage pass.

Saturday, I was scheduled to work at the library. However, on Saturday and many other days like it, I am not allowed to park in the Mississippi Street parking garage as I normally would. Why, you ask? Because the garage is reserved for football parking only. Additionally, every possible space outside of the garage that my permit would allow me to park is filled with football fans tailgating.

Does KU really have so little respect for its students and employees (I am both) that it would not even think to reserve some space for us to park on game days so that we can go to our jobs, or to study on campus?

I am incredibly disappointed in KU for its complete disrespect of its students, employees and faculty on this matter. I would expect more from an institution that is supposed to be focused on academics and education.

Jessica Gish,

Lawrence

Comments

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

Students and employees can't park in the Allen Fieldhouse parking garage on basketball game nights either. boo hoo.

imastinker 7 years, 11 months ago

This is a big problem on campus. KU should offer some alternative, like bussing from the leid center for students and faculty free on game nights. Women especially should not be walking from wherever they can park to campus late at night because it's just not safe. People have tests, and some forget it's game night.

commuter 7 years, 11 months ago

Jessica use your head. Your are a student and employee. You are supposed to worship the athletes and the people who pay good money to watch them. haven't they taught you that yet. Compare Mangino's or Self's to a normal teacher. You should who the school values.

Speakout 7 years, 11 months ago

Offtotheright, what makes this forum take a bad turn now and then is personal attacks. I don't know Jessica, but to say "You probaby needed the extra walking anyway..." is inferring that she is overweight. What right do you have to publically attack her when she has done nothing to you that is mentioned here?

Attack what she says, but leave her person alone!

Meatwad 7 years, 11 months ago

Offtotheright's comment wasn't put very nicely. But I had the same first thought when I read that article. Unless Jessica is handicapped, I see NO REASON that she can't simply do some walking when it's game day. I walk ALL OVER this town and I know many people without cars who have no other choice but to walk or take busses everywhere they go. One of the deeper problems with many in this country is that we think it's our RIGHT to be able to drive from our door and park at the door to where we are going. Jessica ought to try living in some other cities where parking isn't so abundant. THEN she might appreciate how good she has it here in Lawrence. I say, SO WHAT....She gets to park at the door EVERY OTHER day except for a few game days. She really should find something else to whine about... a LOT of students and employees of the university have to walk EVERY DAY.

Bruce Bertsch 7 years, 11 months ago

This is not just a KU problem. Most major universities have the same issues. At KU, the athletic department pays the university for the use of the parking lots for football games, thus they are reserved. The recent success of the football team has undoubtedly exacerbated the parking situation. However, there are almost always spaces at the Burge Union even on game days. Of course, then you have to walk up the hill...

imastinker 7 years, 11 months ago

I hardly think parking at KU is parking at the door. It's usually at least a half mile walk anyway.

Doesn't anyone have a problem with the fact that it is unsafe for women to be walking late at night like this? I never let my (now) wife walk late at night, I went and got her.

clipntrim 7 years, 11 months ago

I think offtotheright and Meatwad missed the point. If a parking permit is already paid for, why should the permit holder have to pay an additional fee to park on game days if they are scheduled to work that day? Why not let employees park for free (using a permit they already paid for)? They are not going to the game, so why should they have to pay a game fee? I'm sure a few fans could carpool, park elsewhere, or tailgate in a different spot without too much disruption. I think cost is the issue here. Most people know they are going to have to walk some regardless.

jpingleton 7 years, 11 months ago

Meatwad, not everyone lives within walking distance of campus. Besides parking is not anywhere "near the door".

I would not feel comfortable walking late at night, anyway. It disgusts me that education, employment, and safety always take the back seat to athletics. (Especially at a school where the atletic departments are mediocre at best)

Besides, if you pay for the parking pass, you should get to use it. Period.

conservative 7 years, 11 months ago

And I'm pretty sure the parking pass paperwork clearly states that it is not valid during games.

For the 7 or so home games it really isn't that big of an inconvenience.

Christopher McKitterick 7 years, 11 months ago

I was appalled to learn that students and KU employees are being ticketed and/or charged extra for parking on nights when KU is having a game. One of my students got a $20 ticket during the last basketball game because she did not pay the $10/space fee for parking after 5pm on a game night.

I teach at KU, usually at night. My night classes meet once a week, so canceling class (as KU's Parking Department recommended to a student of mine) is unacceptable. Seven classes per semester would be half of our classes.

This policy is absurd. Students who have class or tests during this time (especially those whose classes run through the 5pm "must-move" period) should not be penalized for coming to class, teaching, taking tests, and so on when KU hosts games. This university does not exist to serve our ball teams; it exists to serve students and academia.

People's comments above about the dangers of walking long distances at night are a real concern, especially when fans take all the available spots within a mile of the game venue. But some of my students come from as far away as Kansas City, so walking, bicycling, riding a scooter, and so on are out of the question.

Why do we have parking lots at KU? Do they exist only to provide space for basketball fans, or are they supposed to provide space for scholars? How can this be acceptable to anyone?

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 11 months ago

KU athletic program mediocre at best? Let's do a little history lessen here for the last year, Basketball Big 12 regular season Co-champions, Big 12 Tourney champs, baseball Big 12 tourney champs, softball Big 12 Tourney champs, Football bowl eligible, HOUSTON BOWL VICTORS yeah we're mediocre at best.

jpingleton 7 years, 11 months ago

Leprechaunking13.... college sports. Yawn.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 11 months ago

If we expect Jessica to walk why can't fans walk and not use student/faculty parking. If it were not for students and faculty EVERYDAY support of Lawrence,Kansas where would Lawrence be...

Yes it is OK for fans to walk and many thousands do.

scary_manilow 7 years, 11 months ago

Rightthinker"

When you get sexually assaulted by a drunken football fan on the walk home from your class/campus job, then you can come back and start ordering people to "walk." How does that sound?

BigDog 7 years, 11 months ago

Posted by merrill (anonymous) on November 22, 2006 at 6:05 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Yes it is OK for fans to walk and many thousands do.

If it were not for those tax paying sport fans throughout Kansas ..... where would Lawrence, KS be?

And just as a note ... if it wasn't for the sports teams most people outside the state wouldn't even know the University of Kansas existed.

Bubarubu 7 years, 11 months ago

I don't disagree with the sentiment behind Ms. Gish's letter, but on basketball game nights, KU is opening the park and ride lot and providing free bus service from that lot for anyone who has any valid parking pass. Now, the buses don't run on Saturdays which means they don't do Ms. Gish any good on football gamedays, but there is some measure of accommodation.

Still I do wonder about KU's needing to make special arrangements for students and faculty in their academic roles rather than for those who have little business on campus other than basketball games.