Archive for Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Veterans Day

November 7, 2006

To the editor:

As Veterans Day approaches, I wonder how much people actually know about the holiday. Too many people these days look forward to the day off and not to the real purpose of the holiday. The first Veterans Day, then called Armistice Day, was observed on Nov. 11, 1921, to honor the veterans of World War I. Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day in 1958 by President Eisenhower.

The history behind the holiday is not nearly as important as the meaning behind it. The holiday was established to honor fallen soldiers, sailors and airmen and also surviving veterans. Veterans Day honors those who sacrificed so much defending this great nation and asked so little in return. This day also honors the families of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for the United States of America.

I hope this coming Nov. 11 that we all take a step back and appreciate the sacrifice that others have made so we can live in a free country. If you see a service man or woman or a member of the VFW or American Legion, please approach and thank them for their service. We need to give back to those who have given up so much for us.

Craig Potthast,

Eudora

Comments

mom_of_three 8 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I believe all Veterans should have a day off for Veteran's Day. I have the day off, as I work for a state agency. Did I serve - NO. But my dad, grandfather, uncles and great-uncles did. I take this day to think about all the sacrifices they, and others made. I think about my cousins currently in the military and hope they are safe.

granny 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree 100% "classclown". Veterans Day is a day for Veterans - not bank or government employees, unless however, they are a Veteran. My husband brought the subject up on Veterans day - for over 30 years "I should be getting the day off". I couldn't have agreed with him more. My hat goes off to all Veterans, a personal THANK YOU to each of you!!

SloMo 8 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone remember a minute of silence - specifically the 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in observance of Armistace Day?

That's the real history of November 11th!

SloMo 8 years, 6 months ago

Not that I have anything against there being a day to honor our Vets - I just always thought they should have gotten their own day.

I also think we need a day set aside to meditate, if only for one minute, on PEACE, so I was sorry to see Armistice Day go.

classclown 8 years, 6 months ago

As a veteran, I appreciate the letter Craig. However just thought I'd let you know that Veterans Day is a day to honor our LIVING veterans. Memorial Day is the day we honor our fallen. Thanks for your support though.

Who outside of government and banks(most who probably never served) get the day off? I've always felt that all veterans should. We earned it.

Speakout 8 years, 6 months ago

As a Vietnam vet, I think you are right to say that Vets should have the day off, with pay! Lets start a national campaign to get this going. It is a good Idea.

huskerred 8 years, 5 months ago

I just wanted to let classclown know that Veteran's Day honors both living and fallen Veterans. That's the reason why the President lays a wreath at the tomb of the unkown soldier every year on Veteran's Day.