Archive for Thursday, May 25, 2006

Fear of fiction?

May 25, 2006

To the editor:

To those who protest "The DaVinci Code" movie, please don't react to what others have told you before you see it. We have read the book. Now we have seen the movie. Both are clearly fiction. So why the fear? Frightened that a fictional work will destroy your faith? Ours is stronger than that. Upset that the movie attacks the church? It's stronger too. Jesus married to Mary Magdalene is heresy? Hardly.

It's illogical to assume that Jesus could not perform His miracles if He was married. It is logical to assume that as a standard of his time, Jesus might have been married. But that does not deny His divinity. To my knowledge there is not a clear statement in the accepted gospels one way or the other.

We saw no direct attacks on the Catholic Church. It suggests that like any large institution there are those who would subvert its power for their own. One character claims that revealing the secret of the code would break down the power of the church. But, remember, it's fiction!

Importantly, Tom Hanks' character tells the heroine, "It all depends on what you believe," that a person with the answer to the mystery could choose to strengthen faith.

The book and, by extension, the movie are full of fictional fallacies.

Go see the movie. It's well done. Be intrigued by its premise. Enjoy it as a good piece of cinema, not a denial of faith. Quit tilting at windmills.

Keith and Barbara Wood,

Lawrence

Comments

Bradley Kemp 8 years, 7 months ago

"It's illogical to assume that Jesus could not perform His miracles if He was married. "

Okay, I guess. It would be illogical to assume that being married would make Jesus incapable of performing miracles.

But no less illogical than assuming that Jesus was capable of performing miracles.

craigers 8 years, 7 months ago

Souki, he can, he did, and he still does.

Bradley Kemp 8 years, 7 months ago

Craigers:

He may. (Although I doubt it.) But my point wasn't that he didn't perform miracles, only that miracles, if they exist, are beyond logic. So it's silly to suggest that it's "illogical" to think that someone can or can't perform miracles because of his marital status.

craigers 8 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. And I have seen some of the miracles so there is no doubt here, but that debate is for another day and another topic.

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

Jesus was only a man, a mere human mortal.

Sorry.

rtwngr 8 years, 7 months ago

xenophonschild, suppose for a moment that my belief in the divinity of Jesus is misplaced. All of my church attendance and all of the other trappings of faith mean nothing. When I die I am no worse off for my faith. However let's say that you are wrong. That Jesus is divine. Everything he said was true. You must enter Heaven through him. Now, when you die will you be worse off for your lack of faith? Oh well, at least its a dry heat.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 7 months ago

And what if you are right? So your loving and benevolent god is condemming millions of people a day to hell for not going through a small ritual(baptism, saying you accept jesus, blah,blah....), All those buddhist and hindus and shinto,muslims, jews.....the countless shamanic cultures not to mention the atheists and agnostics....and "gasp" SECULAR HUMANIST, all burning for eternity. Anyone want to look at the math on this?We could even use the premise that the earth is only seven thousand years old(or whatever stupid age they say) first, all those souls were not jewish before christ.....And there was no conversion back then....you were either the chosen people or you sucked....Then you have to factor in all non christians from that point forward....plus unbaptized babies and the retarded and insane.....What, in ballpark figures is the ratio of the dammed versus the saved?Oh, wait jesus sacrificed himself for everyone that had died up to that point.....What was the heavenly cutoff date for instant redemption....Did god factor in time zones? Yep, what a caring, loving god you believe in....I'm so comforted to know some tibetan monk is being ripped to shreds right next to einstein in hell while john brown is talking about the best way to chop somebodies head off with some priest from the Inquisition in heaven.

craigers 8 years, 7 months ago

rednek, you are not looking at the whole picture. You are saying he isn't loving because of all the people that would be condemned. It seems pretty simple. A God that says this is the one way you can do it. If you choose different, then you will have to deal with those consequenses. Just because the masses would be condemned, doesn't make Him a less loving God. It actually confirms the word of God that states broad and wide is the path to destruction (hell). That is why it is no surprise that most of the world would go to an eternity in hell.

The old testament people you are referencing didn't have Jesus, but they did have a convenant and it never said that people couldn't be saved back then. However, the bible says that Abraham was saved because of his faith in God and holding on to the promise of a redeemer (Jesus) coming later.

The bible does not date the earth and try to say it is only 6000 years old. In Genesis, it states that the earth was formless and void before God made it inhabitable. Therefore since God has always been and will always be you can't draw an age on the earth and it very well could be millions of years old. Nobody knows for sure. The bible tells us about children and they are not condemned until they can make their choices to follow God on their own or not(doctrinally referred to as the age of accountability). Baptism has nothing to do with salvation in the first place. That is a doctrine that has been adopted by many denominations but it isn't true.

No human is inherently good, we are all sinners and deserve to be in hell, whether you think they are good or not is really not the issue. You nor I are the measuring stick to be used to determine peoples goodness, it is God and when compared to Him we are completly not worth heaven, but once again God gives us a very simple way to receive His grace and that is His son Jesus. A loving God wouldn't give us many options that we might mess up, but would give us a simple way, one way with no room to mis-interpret. That is what God did.

xeno, I have seen miracles take place in my home church in the name of Jesus Christ. He is real and one day you will see that. The miracles of Christ still occur today. They are the tangible proof that God exists and that Christ is working through His people.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 7 months ago

When I understand the concepts of holiness and justice......... Wow! What kind of hubris does it take to utter that?I may use strawman arguements, but I at least do not use the threat of eternal dammnation as my go to arguement anytime somebody disagrees with me.

"pagan element".....Please,in clear and concise language, tell me what you mean by "pagan"?The fact that I was raised in a christian household would make me more "apostate" or if you feel kind and stretch the terminology"heathen"......And if you actually ever had a conversation with a true"pagan", they would tell you that their deities are far more grim than the fuzzy bunny hippy, generic "earth goddess", that people use as example. I myself am not a "pagan" or a real believer in any faith......And if I am wrong, I will go to the lake of fire giving your god the f#$%^ng finger for being a prick and hopefully drag one of you down with me so I could have a butler in hell......Oh, complete tangent.....Some beliefs think if you tell somebody they are going to hell you are cursing them....and they are in their right to assault the person.....think about it the next time you are yelling at pregnant teenage girls..

geekin_topekan 8 years, 7 months ago

I used to live with a Jesus freak. She would make me pray before sex.She said that we would be in sin if we didn't ask our lord and christ Jesus blessing before hand.I said "OK,whatever but hurry!". She had her tv blocked from everything but the cartoon network because of all the evils in the world.She caught her last man watching Starwars and all the killing and death was allowing the devil into her home and if he wasn't man enough to protect the home than she had to take matters into her own hands. No shrimp allowed and only turkey bacon.No caffeine.All evilevilevil!!!These aren't her rules they are the Lord's rules. Interesting time in my life.I still get a kick out of telling her story.She was too worried about where she was going after she died to enjoy what was presented to her today.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 7 months ago

geek: you discuss an obvious whack job that claimed religion because she could not fit in anywhere else? so it seems. but, not a real representation of being a christian. you can't just pray to repent for a sin before doing it and then go ahead with it. to be sorry means to regret what you have done and acknowledge that you should not have done it...void if you say "i'm sorry, i know this is wrong, but here i go..."

rednek: "....plus unbaptized babies and the retarded and insane....."

i believe baptism is required once a person knows right from wrong and knows the purpose of being baptized. this does not include babies, or the retarded and insane. they are, in essence, exempt from this due to their lack of mental maturity and lack of exposure to the "truth".

happyone 8 years, 7 months ago

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 7 months ago

happyone: "Let me remind you as well that the BIBLE is nothing more than a History Book. Would you abide be your High School History Book as you do the BIBLE?? I think not."

Are there rules to live by in a high school history book? other than "history repeats itself"? i guess people can't live their lives by "lincoln was assasinated" or "cow kicked over a lantern and the entire city burned". i guess i won't keep an oil lantern in my barn next to the cow i don't have.

also, if you keep shouting BIBLE people may think you're preaching.

happyone 8 years, 7 months ago

It is the same thing

The Bible teaches by example. This happened to insert person from Bible because he/she didn't do what God said.

Our High School History books do the same......

happyone 8 years, 7 months ago

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 7 months ago

happyone: "Well obviously you did learn something. History does repeat itself and that on oil lamp kicked by a cow can cause a fire........."

well, yes i hope i did learn something in skool. nothing that will save my soul, but something.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 7 months ago

you are right....I guess I never spent anytime thinking about these things.....The rest of the worlds religions are all fabrications of satan and must be ignored if not hated......I only hope I'm self rightous enough that jesus will let me hang with the cool kids in the afterlife. Or I continue with my own search for enlightenment and self awareness of the mysteries of life and die sometime between now and when I am 100......There turns out to be an afterlife, and god walks up to me, hands me a beer and tells me I am a ballsy s.o.b for daring to question him and the life and world he put me in......Then we go fishing and chase some broads.......I like the second choice better. SO LET IT BE WRITTEN, SO LET IT BE DONE!!!!!!