Archive for Friday, May 19, 2006

ACLU noise

May 19, 2006

To the editor:

In response to Justin La Mort's letter of May 3: Due to chronic health problems, I am no longer able to actively participate in the ACLU; it is not a matter of apathy, and I do keep myself informed.

The ACLU represents all Americans whether they be students, blue- or white-collar workers, the unemployed and soldiers serving overseas. Yes, there is interest in the Americans serving in Iraq as well. There are all kinds of rights and all kinds of people. But we all have one thing in common: our rights as citizens of the U.S.A.

As for the use of decibel meters, a person reading a meter outside a house or apartment complex is only able to measure the noise level in that general area. Due to the fact that bass frequencies are louder the farther they travel from the source, people two blocks away from the source can clearly hear the bass "thump." As the wife of a musician, I can sympathize; who doesn't enjoy a good party?

However, I applaud the Lawrence Police Department for not using these devices simply to pacify complaining citizens.

I wish you and the KU ACLU members the best and hope you continue to broaden your interests. And remember, you have the power to change the world. Just make some noise that will stand the test of time.

Doris Stine,

Lawrence

Comments

Kelly Powell 9 years ago

in my opinion the aclu is actually very selective about who they will help....i have personal experience with this and my opinion most likely is slanted, but i truly believe that if you fall in a certain demographic that you might as well p1ss up a rope than expect help from the aclu(unless they can get a lot of media coverage)

erichaar 9 years ago

"The ACLU represents all Americans." Yeah, right.

As long as the ACLU represents the North American Man Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) and fights against the Pledge of Allegiance, the legal display of the Ten Commandments, and the Boy Scouts of America, they will NOT represent me.

craigers 9 years ago

i_tching do you hear of a bunch of ACLU members helping the heterosexual middle aged white males? You ask rightthinker to provide facts, but you didn't show us data that proves otherwise either.

I personally don't like the ACLU. I understand the motive to help people preserve their rights, but in my eyes the only thing they go after are cases that will get them the most publicity. That is what it seems like. To me they are as bad as lawyers that people label as ambulance chasers.

bettie 9 years ago

rednekbuddha: It could be that your opinion on who the ACLU will help was shaped by the media's representation of their work. For example, we always hear about the ACLU's work to uphold the separation of church and state, i.e. removing the ten commandments from government buildings.

What we don't often hear about is their work to defend Americans' right to practice religion. So here's a list of cases where they've defended churches and individuals whose rights to practice religion were being infringed upon. (rightthinker, take note of the case involving the Rev. Jerry Falwell - I'd say he'd qualify as a heterosexual white male, although he's probably past middle age.)

September 20, 2005: ACLU of New Jersey joins lawsuit supporting second-grader's right to sing "Awesome God" at a talent show.

August 4, 2005: ACLU helps free a New Mexico street preacher from prison.

December 22, 2004: ACLU of New Jersey successfully defends right of religious expression by jurors.

November 20, 2004: ACLU of Nevada supports free speech rights of evangelists to preach on the sidewalks of the strip in Las Vegas.

November 9, 2004: ACLU of Nevada defends a Mormon student who was suspended after wearing a T-shirt with a religious message to school.

August 11, 2004: ACLU of Nebraska defends church facing eviction by the city of Lincoln.

July 10, 2004: Indiana Civil Liberties Union defends the rights of a Baptist minister to preach his message on public streets.

June 9, 2004: ACLU of Nebraska files a lawsuit on behalf of a Muslim woman barred from a public pool because she refused to wear a swimsuit.

June 3, 2004: Under pressure from the ACLU of Virginia, officials agree not to prohibit baptisms on public property in Falmouth Waterside Park in Stafford County.

May 11, 2004: After ACLU of Michigan intervened on behalf of a Christian Valedictorian, a public high school agrees to stop censoring religious yearbook entries.

March 25, 2004: ACLU of Washington defends an Evangelical minister's right to preach on sidewalks.

February 21, 2003: ACLU of Massachusetts defends students punished for distributing candy canes with religious messages.

October 28, 2002: ACLU of Pennsylvania files discrimination lawsuit over denial of zoning permit for African American Baptist church.

July 11, 2002: ACLU supports right of Iowa students to distribute Christian literature at school.

April 17, 2002: In a victory for the Rev. Jerry Falwell and the ACLU of Virginia, a federal judge strikes down a provision of the Virginia Constitution that bans religious organizations from incorporating.

January 18, 2002: ACLU defends Christian church's right to run "anti-Santa" ads in Boston subways.

craigers 9 years ago

so maybe it is just the media. Ban media. They only show us something to get a rise out of us.

meggers 9 years ago

The ACLU also defended Rush Limbaugh, one of their sharpest critics. While they will probably always be considered controversial, largely for political reasons, the ACLU is a vital watchdog agency when it comes to questions of constitutionality.

meggers 9 years ago

rightthinker,

Here's a bit of bio information on the founder of the site you posted:

'Nedd Kareiva is a 45 year old man from Chicago who began the Stop the ACLU web site in August of 2004. His background is varied which includes a degree in Biblical studies. He once served as the associate director of the Christian Broadcasting Network's Chicago counseling center when such centers were operating in major cities across America:

:Nedd got involved in political issues back in the early 90s when his mother and late stepdad took an active position in the pro-life movement. They were pro-life activists and even went to jail for their stances. Thanks to them and a church willing to deal with issues, his political involvement began to set in motion:

:When Nedd first got online in August of 2001, he knew things were in the moral arena were bad but not to the extent he soon found out. When he started reading information about what the ACLU was doing and supporting in America, he could not believe that there were people litigating for homosexual marriage, abortion without restrictions, removals of the 10 Commandments nationwide and banning all public prayer. He already set up a web site to deal with unconstitutional seat belt laws and was hesitant to begin another web site. However, while he saw that there were good legal groups willing to take on the ACLU, he saw little effort to tackle the ACLU in other ways and wanted to do something about it. He wanted to start a large public awareness campaign to expose the ACLU's agenda on a wide scale. On August 29th of 2004, he began the Stop the ACLU Coalition.'

And this guy doesn't have a political agenda???

Here is an interesting piece from NPR that I believe sums up much of the hysteria people like Kareiva (and perhaps even you, rightthinker) intentionally stir up:

And by the way, slavery was considered a 'Traditional American Value' until people finally came to their senses.

erichaar 9 years ago

There it is! Meggers is playing the RACE CARD!

meggers 9 years ago

I'm not playing any kind of card, just pointing out the obvious. Do you disagree with my statement, erichaar?

meggers 9 years ago

rightthinker,

Please share your personal idea of what constitutes 'Traditional American Values', and perhaps we can have a discussion.

This liberal hasn't insulted you, your motives, or your intelligence. I can't say the same for you.

Look, we can either have a decent discussion about values, or we can play the insult game. You know how it works: I'm the moonbat liberal and you're the ignorant republican.

Personally, I'd prefer a decent and respectful discussion about values. That's my "liberal agenda".

yourworstnightmare 9 years ago

It should be surprising to no one that the ACLU "operates on the fringes of society", such as NAMBLA and the KKK. The fringes are the first place where freedoms are restricted. "Rich white christian males" are the subject of ACLU cases less frequently because they are in the majority and are usually the ones involved in restricting freedoms.

Having said that, there are numerous cases documented above where the ACLU has defended RWCMs.

Curtiss 9 years ago

No, the phrase "tyranny of the minority" came from Alexis de Tocqueville's "Democracy in America."

But a quick Google search shows it's being kept on life support by right-wing blogs, which suggests there's a Washington area conservative think tank which wants to see it in the media as much as possible.

Kelly Powell 9 years ago

Wow i_tching what a clever use of words "rednekboobhead".....Was it really nessecary to throw out a gradeschool insult? I clearly admitted that I had a slanted opinion due to personal experience. I do not think I was being uncivil or attempted to besmirch anybody on this board for having a differant opinion then meon this issue. I also have allowed my real name to be shown.....That is to help keep me honest and keep me from hiding behind a pseudonym when I voice my opinions.....I find that people mouth off more when they can be anonymous and feel they can insult somebody and not suffer any backlash from their insults.......How proud your parents must be.