Archive for Friday, May 12, 2006

Puppy questions

May 12, 2006

To the editor:

Spring : when some minds turn to thoughts of getting a puppy. If you are considering such a purchase, please don't rush the process. A dog is a long-term commitment and should be given considerable thought. Ask questions before you buy.

¢ How old is the puppy? NEVER buy a puppy less than 8 weeks old. It is against the law in Kansas to sell a puppy under 8 weeks.

¢ Were the puppy's parents checked for genetic diseases/ defects? ALL breeds have some genetic problems (hips, heart, thyroid, eyes, cancer, etc.). Ask for proof of any testing.

¢ Why was this litter produced? Did the breeder want to produce some dogs for a specific purpose or just to make a buck? The shelters are full of dogs, so why add to the overpopulation unless there is a good reason?

¢ What experience does the breeder have with this type of dog? Do they even have a copy of the breed standard? Do they participate in any activities with their dogs (obedience, agility, etc.) or are they just breeding to line their pockets?

¢ Is the breeder a member of a breed club? Breed clubs help their members become more knowledgeable and usually have a code of ethics.

Remember that AKC papers only mean that both parents were registered and are not a guarantee of temperament, health or quality.

If you are willing to take a chance, why spend hundreds of dollars? Find a new friend at the shelter or contact a rescue group.

Jane Tusten,

Lawrence

Comments

Kelly Powell 8 years, 11 months ago

Other questions to ask

1: Is it a poop eater?

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

Was this letter spurred on by something? I just don't see how anybody would just wake up one day and decide to write a letter about puppys. I personally think the information is great and valuable and I love puppies. I just wonder what caused the writer to write it.

gr 8 years, 11 months ago

"I just wonder what caused the writer to write it."

Well, it's obvious Jane is connected with a shelter or rescue group. They are getting overcrowded and don't want to spend 50 cents for a bullet to euthanize them.

amac 8 years, 11 months ago

You can spend $100 at the shelter in Lawrence easy on a pet...

mefirst 8 years, 11 months ago

YOu people are cold. No wonder our society is as *ucked up as it is. When did the people of this nation become so void of compassion and common sense?

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

How are we cold? mefirst are you still wound up from the conversation you had with blessed a few days ago? people make sarcastic comments, but it is nice of you to make sweeping generalizations. Cause that is better than being cold.

blessed3x 8 years, 11 months ago

Additional questions:

1) Which breed has more white meat? Let's face it none of us really like dark meat anyway... wait a minute, it's all dark meat? Forget it then, how about cats?

2) Should buying a pitbul be accompanied with an insurance policy and an "it's really a very loving dog" attitude?

3) Which breed will be best suited for eating the stray neighborhood cats that run around and fight and "yeowl" until all hours of the night? (See Question 2 above)

4) Which breed can help mefirst better understand sarcasm?

5) Which breeds are large enough to carry the "Honk for Hemp" sandwich boards downtown without blocking access to the used record stores?

There are many questions a responsible dog owner will ask himself in order to make a wise pet purchase.

homeschool_debater 8 years, 11 months ago

There are several reasons why so many dogs end up in the shelters.

We live in a mobile country. People rarely live in the same town for more than 3 years anymore. It would be difficult to take a dog with you everywhere you go, especially the large kind. So people only keep them for a whil, and then get rid of them.

Personally, I would feel better buying a new dog and training it myself than one previously owned. There would be less danger of behavioral problems from abuse or neglect, and I would know for sure that I have accurate records of things like shots. But I see where the writer is coming from.

Confrontation 8 years, 11 months ago

Why don't we shut down the animal shelter, have the county "put down" the animals, and give the extra money to the school system? I'd rather see smart children instead of annoying, smelly, barking dogs.

dejady 8 years, 11 months ago

Funny (but valid) question from rednek. con: once again OH----------My----------God! And finally, I don't think bullets are the solution to ANY problem. Have to say, I love the sarcasm---I actually tend to be too good at it though, and sometimes that can get me into trouble.

dejady 8 years, 11 months ago

My reference to con was meant for conservativeman, but I don't care for Confrontations suggestion either. I would love to see more "smart children", but I don't think that killing dogs is the answer to a lack of funding.