Archive for Friday, May 5, 2006

New standard

May 5, 2006

To the editor:

I hate to say it folks, but this is our bed.

It is impossible to open the paper or tune in the news without hearing something about "illegals" ruining our nation, sucking up our welfare and forcing us to learn a little (heaven forbid) Spanish.

Sorry to let everyone in on this secret, but it is our doing. First and foremost by demanding cheap goods. If we were to pay market value for the goods we so eagerly consume, those costs would far outpace any services we may be providing these working folks.

And let's not forget the fact that these are human beings we are talking about. I know the talking heads on TV would like us to forget that, but it is the case. They are ordinary working folk doing jobs we don't want for wages we wouldn't accept, wages that are suppressed because of our demand for cheap goods.

Let me pose a deeper question: Starting in the 15th century and up to the 19th century, did our ancestors really care what the Native Americans thought were OK levels of whites? Illegal aliens stealing property, destroying culture and dissolving the language. I think not. What makes us better? Ain't it funny how time slips away?

Zac Hamlin,

Baldwin

Comments

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 11 months ago

It is a simple matter of capitalist economics. There are jobs available in the US for wages that Americans won't work for. There are workers in Mexico willing and eager for said jobs.

Stopping this dynamic is like trying to stop the tide. The answer, as any good capitalist should know, is to target supply and demand. A wall will not stop illegal immigrants and the companies that want to hire them.

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

Oh yeah, that being said, I don't see the need to single out Wal-Mart.....we could go on all day if'n you wanna!!!

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

mefirst, you and me will most always disagree (hey, it rhymes) but I gotta say (sorry Arminius--you know I'm with you on most stuff) I do have a corn cob up my arse for corporate america.....they are ran largely by greedy, self-serving ego-maniacal freaks that would slit their own mothers throat if was down to the two of them....they are sociopathic liars and dont' give a flying f*ck about employees, consumers or anyone else....only one thing:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Arminius 7 years, 11 months ago

mefirst:

Gee, with the anti-business attitude you and others (such as the PLC) exhibut, I can't understand why Lawrence is no longer in the top 10 amongst smaller metros to start a business. We're now #60. Congratulations, Boog, Rundle, and Schauer. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/5/Rank_1.html

75x55 7 years, 11 months ago

So, ljreader - tell us how to spot the illegal workers so we can boycott those businesses.......

ljreader 7 years, 11 months ago

I agree, mefirst. Corporations are padding their own pockets, but I don't think the savings are necessarily passed on to the consumer as we are led to believe. I still see the price of goods and services rising in spite of the influx of illegal workers. Even if you look at smaller local companies who hire illegals, do you notice their bids for construction or roofing, for instance, being any lower than those from companies who do not hire illegals? Do you notice the menu prices at local restaurants who are staffed predominately by illegals being significantly cheaper than eating establishments who do not hire illegals? I don't. Business owners are profiting from illegal workers, but taxpayers are footing the bill for their ability to do so. I also blame the politians. They are receiving huge political contributions from big business who hire illegals, which is why nothing is being done to curtail this problem. Their personal political gain is our loss in billions of annual tax dollars, lost jobs, and lower wages- to name but a few.

mefirst 7 years, 11 months ago

I like the little sound byte that keeps being repeated: migrant workers drive down wages...um, seems to me that the corporations who pay the workers determine the wages. Why don't we focus on the corporations who get away with driving down wages to increase their already exhorbitant profits?

American corporations are the traitors. They serve their own interests without any responsibility or accountability to workers, communities, or this country. We continue to support these corporations through mindless consumption of their worthless crap. It's time to demand social responsibility from American companies.

The American consumer bears enormous responsiblility, but would rather sit back and blame the desperate Mexican.

paladin 7 years, 11 months ago

C-, Zac. What's your point? The reader shouldn't have to guess. If it is just that you are now aware of a particular social problem, why not just tell a friend? A memo to posterity is probably not needed.

billyflay 7 years, 11 months ago

all this time i thought it was the italians and the spanish that first came to this part of the world killing the boobs that already lived here,

rightthinker 7 years, 11 months ago

No doubt the white male is arrogant Zac. I see nothing wrong with these people coming up legally. The unfortunate part is our government, it is abundantly clear now, is FUBAR and couldn't fix a problem to save their collective asses....they couldn't figure out how to fix a leaky faucet. It' depressing.

We hear the phrase "We are a blessed nation", and a few years ago my now dead father rally jumped me for saying "I don't know about that (blessed nation thing), your'e not out in the mainstream like I am".

Kelly Powell 7 years, 11 months ago

So you are saying we should have on going raids against the mexicans?