Archive for Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Academics first

May 3, 2006

To the editor:

Is the tail not wagging the dog at good old Kansas University?

We all love our Jayhawks, but is it really worth turning the world of higher education upside down? When we pay large multiples of the chancellor's salary to the athletic director and coaches of basketball and football?

I know that this argument has been going on for generations and will no doubt get louder before it is resolved.

However please consider that our students are now in competition for jobs not just with other American graduates, but with new graduates all over the world in this new global economy.

E.G. Hickam,

Lawrence

Comments

crono 8 years, 4 months ago

"Is it more important to win games than it is to spend money to ensure that we have the best professors and instructors and teaching facilities for our future generations of Kansas leaders?"

Given that I am a graduate teaching assistant that has to pay money to buy printer paper to print material for the classes I teach... yep, apparently it is to the current administration.

Bruce Bertsch 8 years, 4 months ago

Crono, what part of the AD's salary being paid by boosters do you not understand? Don't blame KU Athletics, Inc. for the legislature deciding that higher education is not worth funding.

crono 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't see the current administration squawking about the difference.

I realize the details of funding are complex. But something just isn't right (be it with the donors, the administration, the legislature... or more likely, all three) when sports teams are extremely well funded while I'm expected to spend hundreds of dollars a year in travel to necessary academic conferences.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 4 months ago

Do coaches have to take classes every year, to hone their skills and prove they're still capable of coaching? And pay for those classes out of their own pocket?

I didn't think so...

crono 8 years, 4 months ago

And I'm totally sure that Bill Self and Mark Mangino are expected to pay out-of-pocket for travel and lodging to any professional conference they might need to go to.

More to the point, they probably don't have to pay for the stapler in their office. We GTAs do.

Tony Kisner 8 years, 4 months ago

Maybe a career change is in order?

crono 8 years, 4 months ago

By me? Nah, I love what I do.

I just wish the distribution of resources was a bit more equitable. I don't begrudge athletics having a role at the university. But that role should be as supporting cast, not as top billing.