Archive for Monday, March 27, 2006

Man’s choice

March 27, 2006

To the editor:

Recently there has been great consternation over the conversion of a Muslim in Afghanistan to become a Christian. Condemnation to death for this reason is NOT a tenet of Islam. What is in this man's heart is between him and his God.

Each man chooses his own destiny in life and follows his own path. God knows the path before one takes it. However, God has shown mankind the path to him and those who reject it are the losers. Nowhere in the Quran does it call for a person's death for leaving Islam or becoming a member of another religion. This choice, as everything one does, will be judged on the day of judgment, by God himself.

Every person has the right to recant and ask for forgiveness for any and all sins, especially for sins he can change. If this man is put to death for this reason, how can he be given the right to repent or ask for forgiveness? His sin is that he has wronged his own soul, not committed murder or other violent crimes against mankind. Is Islam so ready to condemn? Absolutely not. Besides, who are the so-called clerics intent on sentencing this man to death? Where do they get their authority?

Muslims believe that Islam is the path to paradise, but the Quran states, "There is no compulsion to this religion." Putting this man to death is an invention of men and not part of Islamic law.

David Omar,

Lawrence

Comments

Ragingbear 8 years, 9 months ago

I am sorry, but from every Muslim I know, pure hatred for everybody not Muslim(or even their branch of Islam) is something that is taught to kids since they are able to read.

Tell me, why is it that this "Religion of Peace" has been the main protagonist in many wars, ethnic cleansing, terrorist tactics and supression of human rights?

Perhaps I will change my mind about them, when they start practicing what they claim.

xenophonschild 8 years, 9 months ago

Right on, Ragingbear. Islam is a foul religion, one fit only for a fluid, rootless people making a transition from an unsettled, nomadic existence to settled civilization. As such, it postulates that the individual, and all individual initiative, is bad and must be smothered by "Allah." God enters into even the smallest nuance of an individual's life - personal appearance, relationships with women, children - and stifles the individual so that he leaves behind his rootless, fluid former existence and lives only by the will of God.

Since the advent of the Industrial Revolution in the 1700s, and the concommitant rise of empirical science, all the old sky-god religions (Islam, Christianity, Judiasm) are dead . . . they are simply taking a long time to die. I, for one, would like to be around when Islam, like so many other Mediterranean religions before it, ceases to exist.

DuQuesne 8 years, 9 months ago

"Islam is a religion of peace and love. But first we cut off your head and set fire to your body for rejecting it."

On the other hand, it hasn't been that long since Christianity was forced on "heathens" at sword-point.

Clearly, these people are semi-literate barbarians, led by power-tripping maniacs. Like any "faith system" where some priest or imam gets to tell the rest of us what God wants...

Schuyler DuQuesne

Speakout 8 years, 9 months ago

Oh, there are people in every religion that misrepresent it to the limit. I give you Adolph Hitler, maybe some of you remeber him, who killed millions of people a mere 70 years ago. He was a Chirstian. Should I put this label on all Christians? Of course not. Queen Isabella of Spain, killed millions of Jews, Non-Catholic Christians and Muslims, while Chris Columbus sailed the oceans blue.

I give you Slobadan Milosovic who in the 1990's killed Men and boys in Serbia by the thousands and so on and so on.

I will agree with you that there are those who want to kill in every religion, but to judge the religion by their acts is foolish. The acts didn't come from God, they only misrepresent that to justify their own ignorant actions. If they ALL followed God's commandments, there would be only peace.

But even you guys are ready to kill: "Lets nuke them all and let Allah sort them out." Is that a Christian or a Jew or what are you that would say that?

By the way Schulyer, prove to me and everyone here that Islam was spread by the sword. The Quran tells us that there is no compultion to this religion, so if they used a sword, it was not to spread the faith.

There are Muslims who believe that if you are not a Muslim you will not go to paradise. I will tell you that they are ignorant of their own religion just as you are of yours.

Ragingbear 8 years, 9 months ago

Somehow this got transferred over to Christianity. Once again, closed minded people think that Christianity is the only other choice for those who are Muslim. There are thousands of different religions, and each of those religions have thousands of variations on it's principle beliefs.

You ask if I judge all Christians by the actions of Hitler. Well, let me tell you something, Hitler did not act alone. He rallied millions of Christians and non-christians alike behind his banner of bigotry, intolerance, fear, and patriotism. Up until WW2, and even afterwards, people across this supposedly great nation we live in would commonly deny housing, employment, and other amenities that we take for granted on the sole grounds of the applicant being Jewish. Before that, we would find NINA in many want ads in the newspaper.

Christianity, like Islam, and even Judiasm has a past, and a future written in the blood of a billion innocents. And it will continue to do so until the last politician is strangled with the entrails from the last priest.

After that, we only have to get rid of Fox Broadcasting...

xenophonschild 8 years, 9 months ago

Fundamentalist Christian Conservative Republicans - can anybody alive be more dead inside? And I write for an on-line magazine - uselessknowledge.com - and received death threats over the Internet for a piece I wrote about Islam, Christianity and Judiasm.

Those of you who don't love Lawrence should move to Topeka; or, worse, Wichita. Good riddance.

DuQuesne 8 years, 9 months ago

For Jumper-to-conclusions (Speakout) - from what do you infer my religion? Or that I have one? Or do you only infer my need of one because of your own need?

Schuyler DuQuesne

badger 8 years, 9 months ago

Wow.

The hate in this thread horrifies me.

Ragingbear, I can assure you that I've met quite a few Muslims who were never taught hatred, or conversion by the sword, or jihad, were the way to spread Islam. I know Muslims educated both here and abroad who were taught that the truth of Islam, of the Prophet's words, is so absolute and universal that there's no need to threaten people to convert to it, because good, happy Muslims willing to talk openly about their faith are the best argument for practicing it.

Many sects of Islam teach that it's impossible not to convert once you truly understand it - not because you're afraid of getting your head chopped off, but because you're overwhelmed by its truth and beauty. Most of my devout Muslim friends talk about Islam for the same reason most of my devout Christian friends talk about Christ - because they're so overwhelmed with their joy, faith, and happiness that they just feel they must share it with those they care about. It's also the same reason most of my devout pagan friends talk about paganism, that when you really do find something great in what you believe, you want everyone else to be able to find the greatness too.

The notion of Islam as a religion of hate and violence is outmoded and based in prejudices as old as the Crusades. A few sects and groups continue to perpetuate and exemplify those stereotypes, but the vast majority of practicing Muslims would rather talk to you about why you reject Islam's tenets than kill you for it.

The situation in Afghanistan is simply a sad example of what happens when straight religious law is used as the basis of the fundamentalist law of the land. It's easy to regulate the 'Thou shalt not' and the 'Failure to do X shall be punishable by death' but there's no good way to legislate 'Act with love and peace towards others.'

However, it appears that the charges in Afghanistan have been dropped for lack of evidence. With luck, that will mean that a tide of some sort is changing.