Archive for Monday, March 20, 2006

Sleet, snow blustering in

Area under Winter Weather Advisory

March 20, 2006, 8:16 a.m. Updated March 20, 2006, 4:38 p.m.

Pedestrians huddle together under an umbrella as they walk downtown.

Pedestrians huddle together under an umbrella as they walk downtown.

Spring is starting in Lawrence with a shovel full of winter weather - rain, sleet and then snow is expected by late tonight.

But the worst of the winter-like weather will probably stay to the north and west of the Lawrence area, says Matt Sayers, 6News meteorologist. This afternoon, the National Weather Service canceled a Winter Storm Warning for Douglas County and put the county in a Winter Weather Advisory.

"I don't think we're going to see three to six inches any more," Sayers said. "I think it will be more like one to three (inches). Some areas to our north could end up with more during the evening hours."

At 4:30 p.m., Lawrence was getting light rain, the temperature was 38 degrees, the humidity was 93 percent and winds were from the east at 21 mph, making the windchill 28 degrees.

Spring officially began at 12:26 p.m. today as rain began changing over to sleet. Sayers said a sleet and snow mixture will fall through 6 p.m., changing over to mostly snow during the evening and overnight.

Chuck Soules, Lawrence's director of public works, announced this morning that the city has begun preparations for salting and sanding in preparation for the winter storm.

"Given current weather conditions, any ice preceding the snow will make for extremely hazardous traveling conditions," Souies said in a prepared statement. He said city crews will follow a "snow plan" in clearing streets, following a priority from most-travelled streets to least-travelled streets.

He requested that drivers move their parked cars off city streets to make it easier for snowplows to get through. Plowing is not effective until accumulations get to three inches or more, he said.

Soules said residents are responsible for the snow removal in driveways and maintenance of sidewalks adjacent to their properties.

He said trash services will continue as the weather allows. The city's "T" public transportation system will run unless travel becomes hazardous, he said.

Tonight's temperature will drop to about 25 degrees by Tuesday morning, she said.

The National Weather Service is expecting three to four inches of snow tonight for Lawrence, with a 30 percent of light snow on Tuesday morning.

Tuesday's high temperature will climb to 32 degrees.

Wednesday's morning low will be 13 degrees, with Wednesday's high climbing to 36 degrees, she said. Skies will be partly cloudy.

Lawrence had about a third of an inch of rain overnight from the storm system, which is pushing south across Nebraska into most of Kansas, bringing heavy snow.

The average high temperature for today is 59 degrees. The record high is 85 degrees, set in 1934. The average low for today is 37 degrees. The record low was 10 degrees, set in 1914.

Comments

jwmound 8 years, 1 month ago

all these comments crack me up after just watching the "Wheatherman"

bearded_gnome 8 years, 1 month ago

yes, there's a loose nut behind the keyboard!

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

To quote a scientist friend of mine, about typos and such drops in continuity ..."There's no telling what line of gobblydook will come out when my brain is outracing my fingers!"-PhD, JD

bearded_gnome 8 years, 1 month ago

sorry, in the above, I should have said, reduces according to a square root function related to distance from the radiator.
it's terrible when the keyboard gets ahead of the mind...

bearded_gnome 8 years, 1 month ago

MD, exactly, and since radiant power reduces as a function of distance...that's how the formula above was arrived at.
distance from your throat should also be measured in CM.

should note, yes, we're under a namby pamby winter weather advisory...twaddle

and the article which spawned this thread has been apparently banished from the ljw site...wonder why...lol.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

Hey, no experiments necessary.I already have the data.

I date Rampant Cynicism, and believe me, those expulsions are definitely hotter than your average, everyday comments.

rightthinker 8 years, 1 month ago

looks like the weathermen in KS were befuddled again...where's the snow...oh, it's not here......

jimincountry 8 years, 1 month ago

I meant Katy Horner not Katie Curic!

jimincountry 8 years, 1 month ago

Did Katie get her training at KU in WOMEN"S STUDIES?...Really, I'm just kidding! I like Katie!!! I like KU! AND I like women!

one_more_bob 8 years, 1 month ago

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.....

observer 8 years, 1 month ago

Why didn't he nail all us heathen non-believers in Lawrence?

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 1 month ago

I think God blew the storm farther to the north and west. God hates Western Kansans and Nebraskans.

sd123 8 years, 1 month ago

yawn.......ppl puuuuuuuuuuulease.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

KUweatherman: Do you work for the Kansas Board of Education?

And, when didn "knowing about something" become a prerequisite for posting here? Nobody told me!

bangaranggerg 8 years, 1 month ago

I bet the gas company is behind all this weather.

Curtis Lange 8 years, 1 month ago

bmwjhawk,

Keep it up with the ignorant statments regarding forecasting. Since you obviously dont know what it all involves, it's best to just keep your mouth shut.

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 1 month ago

Snow and cold go away.......the kids want to go out and play.

Its Spring break and I'm on vacation all week. I was hoping for sunny skies and warm days. Bummer as its going to be cold most of the week........darn it.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

"...the National Weather Service canceled a Winter Weather Advisory for Douglas County and put the county in a Winter Weather Advisory."

Don't they have anything better to do?

bmwjhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Nope, and I've never been paid to do it, either... unlike the "forecasters."

mom_of_three 8 years, 1 month ago

Better to be warned about the possibilities than nothing said at all.

The wind changed and the storm is going to miss us.

meteorology is a hard job. ever try predicting which way the wind would blow??

bearded_gnome 8 years, 1 month ago

TOB, I didn't say the rampant cynicism wasn't well deserved!

temperature of rampant cynicism, okay here's an experiment: measure the temperature of the breath you exhail, multiply by the square root of the distance from your throat. there ya' go...oh, convert to celcius for proper metric comparisons.

wonderhorse 8 years, 1 month ago

Got it. Frankly, I don't care about snow (it's part of the weather pattern), I have to go to work anyway. I'm more interested in the temp so I can dress accordingly.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Well, wonderhorse, I'm telling you now that there is a chance for 6" of snow every day this year. Prepare yourself!

Staci Dark Simpson 8 years, 1 month ago

It is so not gonna snow. Just a bunch of hype! if it is gonna be cold it might as well snow dammit! So disappointed.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 1 month ago

What you call rampant cynicism I call a well-founded reality in dealing with KC/Lawrence area weather reports over the past 12 years.

wonderhorse 8 years, 1 month ago

I think I'd rather have 6" of snow predicted and not get it than not predicted and getting it.

I just stepped outside for a minute, and the wind is coming in from the east (it was coming in from the west this a.m.), so this is probably why we're not getting snow.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

What is the temperature of rampant cynicism? I'm guessing 50 degrees?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 1 month ago

well, its 3;34 pm, and the winter storm warning has just been canceled! so, are we even gonna get any damned snow at all?
jennifer said half a foot of snow by sunrise tomorrow...countdown to complete and utter distruction!

I think the rampant cynicism on this board earlier actually prevented the snow from making it this far south, and even prevented the sleet of doom...heard a claim we'd have "two inches" of sleet on the ground by now!!! so, I think the rampant cynicism on here kept it warmer and forced that weather to stay over less cynical communities, such as brown county, manhattan, and nebraska...all of nebraska is far less cynical than we are here in lawrence!!!

in fact, our cynicism is probably contributing to global warming, too!

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 1 month ago

omb...congrats..another classic post! ****stars

craigers 8 years, 1 month ago

I know TOB. I used to think that the meteorologists could predict the next day's weather but anymore I just need to guess what coat I should take. My guess is as good as theirs.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 1 month ago

Right on, Craigers. The weather forecasters are doing a fast retreat back to the hills as we speak.

It's all ratings. More people watch the news if some sort of weather "might" occur. Garbage.

Rossp 8 years, 1 month ago

Sounds to me they are trying to cover there a** for this storm knowing they didn't last weekend.

I can predict the weather just as good as they did last week for this week. I heard them say "In the next 5 days we could get rain, snow, or maybe thunderstorms." How is that for guessing? No meterologist knows what the weather is going to do in advance. It's a guessing game..........

craigers 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't understand. They predicted last night that we would have over 5 inches of snow and possibly 10 but now if you look at the radars you see that Lawrence might get some rain and that is it. This is bogus.

bmwjhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

I call BS. Heavy snowfall was expected this morning. Quit predicting something if you aren't going to be right about it. If the element of surprise is a given in any weather forecast, why not make that the policy. "Tomorrow's weather-- find out TOMORROW!"

But, if we should get bad weather, I will blame the Kansas Board of Education.

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 1 month ago

Spring break and yucky weather. What a way to start Spring.

one_more_bob 8 years, 1 month ago

If the authorities come by & try to get everybody to gather in Allen Fieldhouse to wait for rescue, don't go. Take to your heels & run like the wind.

momof4 8 years, 1 month ago

Let's all run to the grocery store and stock up, you know we may be snowed in for weeks!

Pilgrim 8 years, 1 month ago

Katy is already popping the amphetamines so she can stay up all night and give us her breathless snowflake-by-snowflake commentary. That is, if we all live long enough to see it. Most of us are going to die tonight if we don't huddle in our basements with blankets, a few candles, and, of course, a battery-powered television.

Gootsie 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't believe a word of it. Except the Katy Horner part.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 1 month ago

Absolute and Complete Armageddon.

one_more_bob 8 years, 1 month ago

What's Katy Horner expecting north of the river?