Archive for Friday, March 10, 2006

Respect for life

March 10, 2006

To the editor:

In interviewing me for an article about local human efforts to transport migrating salamanders across heavily traveled 31st Street near the Wakarusa Wetlands (Feb. 28), a Journal-World reporter asked, "Why would you do something like this?"

Unfortunately, she didn't print my answer, and, given the proposed 32nd Street alignment of the South Lawrence Trafficway, it's one I would like many people to hear. It's an answer I believe salamanders and all the myriad living things in the wetlands might give themselves if they had voices like ours.

Most humans operate under the archaic but still psychologically convenient notion that animals are essentially less important than them. Though possibly interesting, other animals' homes are of little value, their daily struggles and triumphs of no real consequence. What we do not see, do not know, do not understand, we can pave over without losing sleep.

But the facts remain. Within the environs of Lawrence, thousands of communities, neighborhoods if you will, exist without one human resident to speak of. These communities deserve the same respect and consideration extended to those of humans. When human homes and livelihoods are destroyed to make way for a road or a development, there is justifiable concern, even outrage. I long for the day when I hear a comparable outcry over the destruction of nonhuman homes and lives.

Kelly Barth,

Lawrence

Comments

craigers 9 years, 1 month ago

here, here rightthinker. I agree with your last post wholeheartedly.

xenophonschild 9 years, 1 month ago

Migrating salamanders? You've got to be kidding. I wonder how they would taste barbecued, with a dash of bearnaise?

classclown 9 years, 1 month ago

"Considering there is very little humor in it, for someone who considers themselves a clown, I'd say the problem is yours."

That's tantamount to saying "I know you are, but what am I?". Is that the best you can do? Although I have seen many similar responses from you to others in previous blogs.

badger 9 years, 1 month ago

xenophonschild -

I'm shocked and appalled at your post. I find it offensive and ignorant to the highest degree.

I mean, really? Barbecue AND Bearnaise? That's...pure sauce anarchy!

Philistine.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

classclown 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm well aware there will be those that read what I wrote above that will fail to see the humor in it. That's your problem, Not mine. Bash away.

everettg_99 9 years, 1 month ago

rightthinker-

I can understand your concern for inconsistency between someone who would save a salamander but kill an unborn baby. I've known 3 women who've gotten abortions, and each situation was nasty and traumatic before, during, and after. One of the women was raped by her uncle when she was 17. If her parents had discovered the pregnancy, she probably would have been the victim of a Christian honor killing, either directly, or by motivating her to suicide (at the very least, she would have been kicked out of the house). I won't comment on the other two women, but Salamanders are never raped, so far as I know, unless you consider rampant destruction of their habitat a kind of rape.

I'll throw it out there that it may not be entirely inconsistent for someone to stand up for a salamander, but support the pro-choicers. I expect you disagree with this, but I'm just curious as to more of your thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

classclown 9 years, 1 month ago

"These communities deserve the same respect and consideration extended to those of humans. "

I believe they are getting exactly just that. The city/state is exercizing its right of eminent domain in favor of development in the name of prosperity for "all". Just as it does human homes.

In the meantime, what are they paying in property taxes?