Archive for Friday, June 30, 2006

Drunken driver gets 13 years for fatal wreck

For my son’s life, it is not enough’

June 30, 2006

— When Victor Anzua-Torres asked the family of Ryan Ostendorf, the man he killed, for forgiveness, Ryan's father turned his back.

"He has no right to speak to me," Robert Ostendorf said later.

Anzua-Torres, 29, was sentenced Thursday to prison for 13 years and nine months for driving drunk and crashing his car into one driven by Ryan Ostendorf, who was 28, a paramedic and Kansas University student who dreamed of being a doctor.

The sentencing capped an emotional hearing where Ryan's family, friends and co-workers spoke about his compassion, helpfulness and bright future, and how Anzua-Torres' actions wrecked the lives of many.

The crash occurred the night of Dec. 5, 2005, on U.S. Highway 40 near Shawnee Heights Road.

Ostendorf was driving to work at American Medical Response. Many of his co-workers responded to the accident, rendering aid to Anzua-Torres and others at the scene.

'An enormous hole'

Anzua-Torres had a blood-alcohol level of 0.26 percent, more than three times the legal limit of 0.08, authorities said. He had no driver's license, had a prior drunken-driving arrest and had been deported as an illegal immigrant once before.

He was driving a Cadillac Escalade east in the westbound lane when he struck Ostendorf's Jeep Cherokee.

"My family has an enormous hole where Ryan's life ought to be," said Ryan's mother, Jo Ann Ostendorf, of Gothenburg, Neb.

She wore Ryan's lab coat from KU as she spoke in the Shawnee County courtroom.

She said Ryan was a biology student at KU and planned on being a cardiologist.

"He wanted to mend broken hearts and he died of one," she said, adding that KU granted him a degree after his death. The mother said she would miss her son's bear hugs and smile. "I will never hear him say, 'I love you Mama.'"

Meagan Kennedy, Ryan's fiance who also is a paramedic, said Ryan was her "soul mate and love of my life."

"You left all of us with holes in our hearts that can never be filled," she said to Anzua-Torres.

Anzua-Torres frequently looked down during the statements, sometimes dabbing tears from his eyes as an interpreter translated for him.

Speaking through the interpreter, Anzua-Torres asked the family to forgive him and said he felt remorse for Ryan's death.

"I never wanted this to happen," he said, sometimes reading from a handwritten sheet of notebook paper. "I ask forgiveness with all my heart for the pain I have caused."

Maximum penalty

Shawnee County Assistant Dist. Atty. Karen Wittman sought the maximum penalty for Anzua-Torres.

"He set out to hurt somebody that night," she said. A friend had tried to drive, but although Anzua-Torres was drunk, he demanded that he drive to show everyone how "bad" he was, she said.

"On that day, you can't get any more selfish than what he was," she said.

Shawnee County District Court Judge Nancy Parrish sentenced Anzua-Torres to the maximum for the reckless second-degree murder charge: 11 years and six months.

The remaining time on his sentence was due to additional charges related to the incident including driving under the influence and not having a driver's license.

Parrish ordered the sentences to run consecutively. Earlier, Anzua-Torres' public defender, Richard Jones, requested that the sentences for the various offenses run at the same time.

But Parrish declined.

"You have really exhibited a flagrant disregard of our laws," she told Anzua-Torres.

She noted he had ignored an order to receive treatment after his previous drunken-driving conviction. He also had been deported in 2000 and been arrested for several other offenses, including possession of drug paraphernalia.

After the hearing, Jo Ann Ostendorf said she appreciated that Parrish gave Anzua-Torres the maximum sentence on the murder charge, but added, "For my son's life, it is not enough."

Comments

and_rea 7 years, 9 months ago

Wow! The things you people say are vicious. My name is Andrea. I was the MURDER victims youngest sister. How dare you, happyone, tell me when it is my time to forgive this thing for what he has done. In his speech to Ryan's family he said he was sorry once, followed by reasons why he should not be held accountable for his actions. I would like to think that I am a stong enough person to forgive him, but I can't do that right now, I'm not ready yet. Ryan was on his way to work to help save other lives when his was taken. Where's karma come into play here? Anzua-Torrez was offered treatment for his prior offenses and did not show up for probation or treatment. My family lives in Nebraska and this is our only way of keeping up on the stories written about my brother. I know that when my mother reads all the stories her heart will break a little more. Please for her sake, my families sake, keep the talk clean and Please, Please, Please.....Don't Drink and Drive!

ChinaSyndrome 7 years, 9 months ago

Interesting that we in Kansas teach Creationism while bemoaning the teaching of "nonexistant mythological Nation of Atzlan" in Mexican schools. Mayhap, we have more in common with Mexican Educational Agendas that we would like to admit?

I realize this has little to do with the death of a young man at the hands of a drunk driver. I feel sorry for all involved. I don't think anyone who has been drinking has the intention on taking a life when they get behind the wheel, but, sadly, these are often the results.

ljreader 7 years, 9 months ago

Asbestos- At first, I thought only a very few radicals were the ones talking about how we stole America from Mexico. Now, I find, they actually teach in Mexican schools that much of the Southwest into Colorado, Oregona and Idaho was stolen from Mexico, and it is their right to reclaim it! In fact, when polled the overwhelming majority of Mexicans believe it their right to cross the borders into our country.

Everyone should read these links: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635200794,00.html About MECha: http://www.frontpagemag.com/articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=9949

If you look at a map of the nonexistant mythological Nation of Atzlan they are teaching as fact in Mexican schools, you can see that they are indeed very well on their way to taking back much of this very area- and are working on more.

To make matters worse, we are also being indoctrinated with myths- The myth that these are only down trodden, hard working, law abiding people "looking for a better life" and the myth that they are keeping the costs of goods and services down, and the myth that they are doing jobs American will not do. I am certain this may be true to some extent, but by no means to the extent we are being led to believe. I cannot help but notice that American were filling these jobs right up until the time illegals arrive in numbers.

I was watching the City trash truck one day and thought that would be a prime example of jobs Americans won't do- Yet, there they are- every one an American citizen performing a less than glamourous job- This is because they are paid a decent wage with benefits. The same is true of just about any job- You have to pay workers or they cannot afford to take those jobs.

Now, I read an article 2 days ago about how the cherry orchards do not have enough workers to pick their crops- Why is that? Do we suddenly have more cherries? I know we have 12-20 more illegals! So here we have 12- 20 million illegals we are led to believe are taking this work, but are not. The Los Angeles Times reports in Cali that 2% of illegals are picking crops, but 29% are on welfare.

There is no way importing this much poverty and illiteracy into this country this rapidly and in this volume can be healthy for this country!

It is the middle class Americans who are paying bigtime in taxes to compensate for this influx of poverty, and the poorest who have already paid the price in jobs and lowered and depressed wages. I never considered Americans in construction trades as among our poorest, but they too are rapidly becoming a dying breed in this country.(Except for the creeps at the top of the heap who hire them).

If this does not stop NOW we will be a third world nation like Mexico populated with only the dirt poor and the filthy rich.

bizarre 7 years, 9 months ago

Word of the wise:

The time we spend to prepare for a lifetime,

Is just the time that we have today.

A bad decision takes less than a minute to make,

yet the results can last a lifetime!

ASBESTOS 7 years, 9 months ago

"If you think everyone here are meek little martyr slaves cleaning your motel rooms, you might want to read up on MEChA and Aztlan.. radical militants are growing in number and in populariity, especially those from Mexico. Disturbing stuff. Another breed of terrorists, and we are willfully letting them in and supporting them with our tax dollars."

Absolutely correct, and they push HATE SPEECH, Racisism, illegal voting, illegal activeites, and overthrow of the govenment openly. Yes they should be treated as terrorists.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 9 months ago

LJReader, absolutely right! Brownback actually voted for that shameless piece of trash in the Senate. I say, time to repeal the 17th amendment. can we recall brownback?
besides the provisions you cite, there are about a dozen other items which stink to high heaven.
build a damned fence! make deportation mean something finally.
and you are absolutely right about Mecha. where I came from, illegals have overrun mexifornia, commit a huge percentage of crime, take a wallopping amount of social services $$S! and the stupid misguided bilingual teaching was full force at my high school, 1970's. so, lots at my school, majority hispanic, graduated with little or no english literacy!

ljreader 7 years, 9 months ago

Posted by bearded_gnome ( this death was preventable! he was deported once, then convicted of drunk driving but not deported after that, HUH???

After they finally kill someone, they're all ours. We also keep them for committing other crimes- That's why 1/3 of our prison population in this country are illegal aliens.

They SHOULD be deported upon discovery. OUR LAWS SAY SO. Instead, for years, they have been caught and released. As things stand now, it does no good to deport them. (Not that this is tried often enough). They are often back within hours. I just read an article about their latest scam (at least when it comes to deportation). When illegals from Central and South America are rounded up for deporation, they claim Mexico as their home so they are returned to Mexico instead of their real homeland. They do this because it will take less time for them to cross the border illegally AGAIN.

When we don't enforce our own border laws, why would they think we enforce any laws here? And when it comes to them, they might be right. In the bill the Senate has passed, the criminals engaging in identity theft, forged documentation, and stolen Social Security numbers will not only be forgiven for these crimes, they will be credited for the social security they paid in on the stolen numbers.

These crimes are felonies. They ruin people's credit and effect people's lives. When is the last time a deal was struck forgiving American felons of their crimes? I'm really sick of these criminals being glamorized, idealized, romanticiized and deified. If they can come up with several thousand dollars per head ( often multiple times) to pay smugglers to get them (then family members) here, they are doing better than I.

Maybe their situations wouldn't be so desperate if they would invest that money in food, clothing and shelter for their families in their own countries. I keep hearing how they make a buck a day in their own countries. If this is true, then that money would support them the rest of their lives.And just how does one come up with that kind of money on those kind of wages, not once, but many times. These stories don't wash.

They need to fly their flag in their country in marches on that soil to change thier countries. Of course, there seems to be a belief among some in one group of illegals-(Mexican) that this is their country which we have stolen from them and they are entitled to take it back. If you think everyone here are meek little martyr slaves cleaning your motel rooms, you might want to read up on MEChA and Aztlan.. radical militants are growing in number and in populariity, especially those from Mexico. Disturbing stuff. Another breed of terrorists, and we are willfully letting them in and supporting them with our tax dollars.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 9 months ago

Posted by bearded_gnome ( anonymous) on June 29, 2006 at 11:20 p.m. ( Suggest removal)

this death was preventable! he was deported once, then convicted of drunk driving but not deported after that, HUH??? !!!

damn. let's fix our laws so simply if an illegal gets convicted of any crime, he's shipped back. but build a good fence, with landmines between two lines of fence electrified. put up signs saying: "you cross, you die." in 100 languages. damn it!

ain't racist, just want to stop illegals.

ljreader 7 years, 9 months ago

Garden Momma- Illegal aliens are suppossed to be ineligible for SRS- As I understand it, the only way he could LEGALLY receive benefits is on behalf of any children born to him and his spouse since entering the country illegally, as the children would be legal US citizens simply because they were born here. As US citizens those children are eligible for all the social services America has to offer to any legal citizen. There was no mention in the article of any family- so who knows? I doubt a person on SRS could afford a $40,000 car (?), nor (I'd think) could someone living off the slave wages (we keep hearing about ) doing jobs (we keep hearing )Americans won't do. Maybe he got a heck of a deal through a guy he washed dishes with. (coughs) With his criminal history, anything is possible. Too bad it's politically incorrect and racist to expect that we enforce our own laws and screen people before allowing them in our country in a lawful and orderly manner. Or maybe he wasn't a criminal until he came here- who knows? I'm just glad this bad actor FINALLY gets locked up. Again, my condolences to the family of the victim, and to all others who have been victimized by any drunk driver.

ASBESTOS 7 years, 9 months ago

"and is driving a $40,000 vehicle. Is this man's family on SRS too? What do you want tobet they are?"

No on that bet. One of the things mot understood about the illegals is that yes they work under one name, have a "family" or 2 in another name and are making out LARGE on our till.

How the hell does an illegal alien afford to drive an Escalade.....it is either drugs or scamin our system.

We need to run all the social security numbers on those getting assistance and shut down all the ones on BOGUS SSN's! and prosecute them for fraud and theft.

This guy doing "work an American won't do" is also breaking lots of laws and making muchmore money than you or I.

We gotta stop this!

Again, where is the State agencies.

What do you wanna bet that a lot of those Medicaid payments in th other LJW story were for illegals??

Pretty soon there will not be anyone paying in except for those of us that want to do things the right and honorable way.

These illegals that are ripping us off and killing kids and flaunting laws are NOT HONORABLE! They are not deserving of being here and certianly not derseving of citizenship. Brownback thinks they do though!! what a maroon!

They gotta GO!!!

ASBESTOS 7 years, 9 months ago

My brother was killed in this same way too. An illegal alien, driving without a license, and really really drunk going 60 in a 20 ran over my brother on asidewalk!!!

What the hell are these people doing in this country, and more importantly...why the hell do we let them stay? How could anyone advocate allowing ilk like this sorry #*&^& individual into our country???

Demmies and Republicans both are responsible for this mess AND for solving it.

There is not one economic gain that offset the large amount of dead bodies this illegal alien issue has caused.

Robert is right this man has no voic nor does he deserve voice for Robert to hear.

This is everyman's son, everymother's son, everysister's brother, and every brother's brother. We have lost another AMERICAN life taken from us by an illegal entrant WHO HAS NO RIGHT to make us soul search as to why the illegal comes here. We have EVERY RIGHT to demand THEY STOP COMING.

THEY HAVE TO STOP!!

GardenMomma 7 years, 9 months ago

I also find it very interesting that this man was arrested for DUI once before (and since his BAC was .26 this time it probably stands that he has been drinking and driving MANY times before and just got caught twice), was deported six years ago, has no driver's license (probably because he was/is here illegally), and is driving a $40,000 vehicle. Is this man's family on SRS too? What do you want to bet they are? That is, if he has any.

bankboy119 7 years, 9 months ago

Iwanttosaythis, you're an absolute idiot. I get on people for calling names but your posts have seriously got to go. How does some one with your IQ even begin to function? Are you out of junior high yet? Please tell me no. If not and you say you got a great edumacation from good old L-Town, I'll understand.

The guy is illegal. He had 19 prior convictions. Why wasn't something done about this before? Because MANY, not all, Democrats want open borders and Congress hasn't done anything about it. Could this have happened by some one who was legal? Yes, but it didn't. This death could have been prevented had we had more strict border controls.

TJ_in_Lawrence 7 years, 9 months ago

Its a wonder that that didn't happen with our system of slap on the wrist and cry about the poor folks who lost a brother, father, nephew. How pathetic.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 9 months ago

The poor guy didn't mean to kill anyone, they should have given him a diversion with a treatment program.

happyone 7 years, 9 months ago

Posted by esubrett (anonymous) on June 30, 2006 at 10:47 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Happyone: So what will come of Victor Anzua-Torres when Karma gets a hold of him?

That is for Karma to decide.....I do not know but imagine it probably won't be good....hopefully he is genuinely sorry for his actions and will take steps to become more positive....whatever those steps may be....perhaps he can go talk to teenagers about what he has gone through and will continue to go through. But since it has been assumed that he is still here illegally by many posters, then its really hard to say....

Gabe Hoffman 7 years, 9 months ago

I think people are confusing two different people.

Brandon Gentry served 4 years, while Mrs. Gentry got probation.

billyflay 7 years, 9 months ago

i hate mexicans, i also hate canadians, and the french,

why do you ask ivana?

Steve Jacob 7 years, 9 months ago

11 years IS along time for a murder via DUI if you look up the others over the past 5 years. But I am sure he does feel remorse. Knowing you took a life is very troubling to most people, no matter how "bad" they are.

ljreader 7 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for clarifying, Marion. This ISN"T about Mexicans or any other race. It's about missed chances to remove criminals off the streets before these tragedies have a chance to happen. There were many missed chances to deal with the illegal immigrant, as there were for the loser who had 19 DUIs. Neither was dealt with, and both wound up killing innocent people.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

Iwanttosaythis:

I do work online about 14 hours a day and have time between uploads, etc, to fool around on this and other forums.

Because of certain aspects of my business, it is better for me run on GMT rather than CDT so it is appraching my evening now.

I do not have the opportunity to go out much and do not have nearly as much time as I would like to have to party.

Thanks.

Marion.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

Some of you people absolutley amaze me!

You seem to fail to realise that the drunk driver was already a CRIMINAL BEFORE he got drunk and killed this woman.

You have no notion of the true meaning of the word "racism"; I defy you to find anything which might be termed a "racist" comment in this post or any other that I have put up on this forum.

I do not care if the guy was Mexican, Armenian, Canadian or Lower Slobbovian; he as an ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT and therefore engaged in an ongoing CRIMINAL ACTIVITY!

If he had a driver's licence, it would have been ILLEGALLY OBTAINED.

Any vehicle registration in his name would have been ILLEGAL.

Any auto insurance policy would have also been ILLEGALLY obtained.

Any Social Security number would have been ILLEGALLY obtained.

Drunk or sober, he was driving ILLEGALLY; yet ANOTHER CRIME!

He killed an innocent person; ANOTHER CRIME!

All of these crimes were made possible and pursuant to the very first CRIME; that of ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!

Thanks.

Marion.

Theresa1000 7 years, 9 months ago

Don't expect someone to be able to forgive right away, that takes time.

Iwanttosaythis 7 years, 9 months ago

Marion u must work at night or just another all day all night drunk american!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 9 months ago

hell no but the principal at LHS can drink and drive no problem

ljreader123 7 years, 9 months ago

Your're right because no AMERICAN has ever killed someone by drinking and driving

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

Yep, the guy was drunk.

He was also an ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT.

Had he not been here, he would not have been driving drunk, at least in this country.

Had the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT not been here, this accident would not have happened.

Thanks.

Marion.

ljreader123 7 years, 9 months ago

ok, everyone has lost the issue. It's about any person drinking and driving. Doesn't matter where they live or what their background is. If peopel drink and drive, someone will die. I hope it's the person driving but most of the time, we're not that lucky. I'm sad everyone is missing the point and trying to turn it into other issues. Maybe this is why judges and cops let so many people back on the streets after they drink and drive.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 9 months ago

I on't hate mexicans. I think they should live where ever they want and it makes me very happy when they open easting establishments

craigers 7 years, 9 months ago

This sucks, but I agree with Happyone that the man is probably genuinely sorry. Keeping grudges will only make you bitter.

Iwanttosaythis 7 years, 9 months ago

Lawrence Against Mexicans,Ks like the new name for this town

Iwanttosaythis 7 years, 9 months ago

does everyone here in lawrence hate mexicans

conservative 7 years, 9 months ago

ljreader123. You've hit the nail on the head.

ljreader123 7 years, 9 months ago

It's not about racism it's not about illigal immigrants, it's about people drinking and driving. Why is everyone missing this point?

lua423 7 years, 9 months ago

It saddens me to think I may interact with some of you. I can't believe the racist, ignorant, bullsh*t that is posted here day after day by the same people.

Your denial is beneath you, and I see through you.

Iwanttosaythis 7 years, 9 months ago

I think everyone here is missing the point here its not about being legal or illegal its all about DRAINKING AND DRIVING. no one heard me cry when my cuzz was killed by a blondy, is she an illegal blondy no. all we knew was that she was killed by a drunk driver on her way to work.all you people make it sound like it would be ok if it was someone who was legal. white or black

esubrett 7 years, 9 months ago

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

You can help prevent things like this from happening in the future.

Go here; read, learn and join!

Only YOU can prevent ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!

Thanks.

Marion.

freudian_slip 7 years, 9 months ago

Posted by enforcer (anonymous) on June 30, 2006 at 6:54 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"hell they should have given him a diversion Gentry got one. Wheres the love people illegal or not he came here and he is here to stay now. The dept of corrections will have his citizenship all taken care of by the time he is released at the tax payers expense. I love America the land og opperunity."

Are you really going to compare this to Gentry? I always thought you might be slow, but this proves it. This comment and your atrocious spelling!

Theno21 7 years, 9 months ago

13yrs is'nt enough if you kill someone you should automaticly be sentenced to life, you took someones life now the jail will have yours...thats how i look at it

ljreader 7 years, 9 months ago

ljreader123=nice name- I was responding to old man who asked how this criminal, and now killer got back in after being deported. I don't turn my head when someone drives drunk. I also don't turn my head when someone is here illegally and make lame excuses for them. Nor do I turn my head to the criminals who lure them here with jobs. Drunk drivers, whether born in this country or illegal invaders to this country need to be taken off the streets. In this case, the guy needed to be taken off the streets of this country a long time ago. Now, he's finally killed someone. Sorry about your loss, ljr123. 19 DUI's and still running loose is unforgiveable.

bankboy119 7 years, 9 months ago

ljreader I agree with happyone. They should definitely forgive them. Of course it's easier to say than do but is still something that should be done.

Of course if we had tighter border controls this wouldn't have happened anyways.

happyone 7 years, 9 months ago

ljreader--I have gone through something like this-- I still say they need to forgive him -- not forget it happened -- but forgive....If they don't they will be bringing undue negativity to themselves that will cause them more problems... Negativity breeds negativity... Forgive and become positive so life can heal the very deep, hurtful wounds this has caused. React to this in a positive manner...Get stiffer penalties impossed, change the laws...but make it positive!!!

ljreader123 7 years, 9 months ago

Whoever wrote that the family should forgive this person certainly has never gone through something like this. I wouldn't forgive him. He changed their lives forever, he'll be free in 13 years and can live his life, but this family will never been normal or feel normal every again. This man who is dead will never have the opportunities that the murderer gets. I'd never forgive him.

ljreader123 7 years, 9 months ago

I think you are missing the point. This has NOTHING to do with an illigal immigrant- that's a side point. The issue is that our society allows drinkers to get behind the wheel. We turn our heads when someone drives drunk. We need tougher laws on those with 1 conviction. I lost my fiancee to a drunk driver with 19 DUI charges. He was sentanced to 5 years but was released after 2 and the next week killed by fiancee when he decided to drink and drive again. The cops joked about who would stop him that weekend. Cops like that and our society should have to pay for the loss of these lives. Our cops and our judges who let people go are responsible for these lost lives. When we become a soceity that wont' tolerate these actions anymore, people will stop feeling the loss of the others. So the real issue here people involves us letting repeat offenders back on our streets. Taking away a license does nothing. The guy who killed my fiancee didn't have a license for 15 years. Give me a break. Take their cars away- GET THEM OFF THE STREETS!

billyflay 7 years, 9 months ago

lj

you are forgetting that diversity is what makes this such a pleasent place to be,

it's just too bad that the diverse people keep costing us so much money and lives,

ljreader 7 years, 9 months ago

Posted by old_man (anonymous) on June 30, 2006 at 6:12 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The article says that he was deported in 2000... How did he get back in? Is he a citizen now? This is America... please learn how to speak English!

No offense, old man, but have you been living under a rock? He got back in because we have virtually ZERO border security. Anyone at anytime bringing anything can get into this country. Our borders are sieves. Even if he was caught, he was probably released. And NO he is not a citizen. He has been deported once already., has committed a variety of crimes, and who cares if he speaks English? Hopefully, he will not need it. Maybe he can bunk with the 30% of our prison population who are illegal aliens that have committed crimes beyond coming/staying here illegally. O well, Americans don't have anything better to spend 3 MILLION $$$PER DAY on, so we might as well be paying to house these scuzoids that are here illegally to begin with, and who just can't seem to get the hang of doing anything legally. I am sure the Prez or some bleeding heart group will make sure he is given a "path to citizenship"-afterall, he is just another desperate soul driving around illegally and drunk in our country looking for a better life- to take. We have enough of our own criminals in this country. We don't need to be welcoming or importing more.

happyone 7 years, 9 months ago

I feel for the family and send my condolences. I also feel that this immigrant (leagal or not) is genuinely sorry for the accident. If the family doesn't forgive him they will get their deserved Karma.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 9 months ago

gentry is a woman country girl , join us plese. I say they let him go an hire him to work for usd 497.

billyflay 7 years, 9 months ago

what a tragic loss of life, now we will never get our berries picked on time,

maybe we can get him work release since illegal alien criminals are the only folk that can pick our berries,

that's quite an economic tradoff, we lose a doctor and gain a berry picker,

conservative 7 years, 9 months ago

Glad to see he got the maximum.

Wish the maximum was higher.

countrygirl 7 years, 9 months ago

Gentry did not get a diversion--he wound serving some time. I used to work with him. He knew he really messed up and felt awful about it. At least he wasn't in the country illegally.

quigley 7 years, 9 months ago

What I cant understand is this guy is illlegal in our country, been deported once, busted for DUI once, arrested for drugs once, has no license, and no way of communicating except for spanish. How does this guy get an Escalade? Only in america.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 9 months ago

shlehman 7 years, 9 months ago

This is a prime example of how scary and backwards our "legal system" is. How in the world can an illegal alien with multiple prior convictions, and NO legal license of ANY kind be charged and convicted of murder and only spend 11 years in prison??? Are you kidding me? That is the MAXIMUM penalty??? Bring on the death penalty, folks!!! Get these illegals out of here and bring back reality and justice!!! Sincere condolences to the family and friends of this fine young gentleman.

DownHomeDude 7 years, 9 months ago

My condolences to the Ostendorf family! I'm sure their

son was a fine man and would have went on to

become a good doctor! I'll pray for the family at church

this sunday!